campsites southern Brittany

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
alsh11

campsites southern Brittany

Post by alsh11 »

Having had to abandon our plans to cycle tour in the Loire with our 7 and 10 year old due to back and knee injury, we are taking bikes on van to Caen on ferry and looking at southern Brittany instead. We hope to find a reasonably quiet, low-key campsite within cycling distance of the beach and other things. Any suggestions?
RickH

Re: campsites southern Brittany

Post by RickH »

We had a vey nice holiday with our kids at Camping de la Baie at La Trinitie sur Mere, just east of Carnac. It was a few years ago, but the area doesn't seem to have changed much judging from Google StreetView. 2 beaches within 5 minutes walk, a pleasant headland with old gun emplacements. Then there are forest tracks, villages & standing stones to explore within easy cycling distance inland. Further afield there is the Quiberon peninsula to the west of Carnac with a ferry across to Belle Ile with its castle/palace.

Hope that helps

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
slowpeddler

Post by slowpeddler »

Camping Municipal at Redon is cheap (6 Euro last week) and has good clean toilets and showers. It is a great place to start the Nantes Brest canal or the river ride along the Villaine to the Atlantic.

The camp site at Nantes is fabulous but pricey and is very pro-cyclist (not quite Brittany now but historically it once was)

The camp sites around St Nazaire are really grim and really expensive for what are really dirty dumps. My experience of France is to avoid the coast, inland camping is always better and cheaper

John
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

slowpeddler wrote:Camping Municipal at Redon is cheap (6 Euro last week) and has good clean toilets and showers. It is a great place to start the Nantes Brest canal or the river ride along the Villaine to the Atlantic.

The camp site at Nantes is fabulous but pricey and is very pro-cyclist (not quite Brittany now but historically it once was)

The camp sites around St Nazaire are really grim and really expensive for what are really dirty dumps. My experience of France is to avoid the coast, inland camping is always better and cheaper

John

I'm inclined to agree here - especially if you are in peak season. However there are many gems on the coast - if you send a U2U I can help with at least some that we use but don't discount the North coast either;-)
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Gibbo1882

Post by Gibbo1882 »

Hi,

I notice the ferry from Quiberon is mentioned on this post..... does anybody know if it takes Bikes? cycling from Bilbao to Roscoff next week, just considering cutting the corner!!
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

bretonbikes wrote:If you send a U2U I can help with at least some that we use
Is a u2u a personal message? Maybe you'd be reluctant to post these tips on the open forum for other reasons but if it's just that you don't want to swamp the thread I'd vote for you going ahead and posting them here - it seems v on-topic and quite interesting.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Gibbo1882 wrote:Hi,

I notice the ferry from Quiberon is mentioned on this post..... does anybody know if it takes Bikes? cycling from Bilbao to Roscoff next week, just considering cutting the corner!!

It would mean cycling in the wrong direction from Bilbao but LD Lines run a ferry from Gijon to St Nazaire three times a week. Could be a way of seeing some more interesting country.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I stayed at Camping la Ferme du Lann Hoedic last year. This is in the Morbihan area. Excellent site for cyclists as they have a separate area for smaller tents. Walking distance of beach and to get to the nearest shops it is mostly on a cycle track. One half of the owners is a Brit. http://www.camping-lannhoedic.fr/en/
mike_dowler

Post by mike_dowler »

We have stayed at Les Embruns (just west of Lorient) & would recommend it
http://www.camping-les-embruns.com/
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

nmnm wrote:
bretonbikes wrote:If you send a U2U I can help with at least some that we use
Is a u2u a personal message? Maybe you'd be reluctant to post these tips on the open forum for other reasons but if it's just that you don't want to swamp the thread I'd vote for you going ahead and posting them here - it seems v on-topic and quite interesting.

I am painfully aware that I run a commercial operation and that I really don't want to tread on any toes or come across as someone selling cycling holidays from this forum - but on the other hand I want to see as many people over ere as possible discovering Brittany - not least because the more Brittany becomes known for the cycling paradise it undoubtedly is the more likely we are get better infrastructure for our own cyclists!

So here are a couple of links from my site - if anyone objects please say so and I will delete them immediately.

The first is one of our routes to the South which have a google map/route that you can follow, though the fine detail is missing due to the limitations of Google - I'm happy to send detailed routes for these (the ones our customers get) which of course are very detailed.

http://www.bretonbikes.com/route%20desc ... amping.htm

This takes you to Erdeven which is a lovely little place and the 'Camping des MEGALITHS' (terrible website! http://www.campingdesmegalithes.fr/) is about 1 km from the town (where you get anything you need) and less than 1 km from 20 kms of gorgeous beach. It has the usual emplacements but also just a big field for lightweight campers. (Swimmingpool etc too). It's right off the road though so kids are safe. It's 5 kms from the Alignments at Carnac and a short ride from the fishing/market village of Etel. Cycletracks abound there too.

This also may be of general use - http://www.bretonbikes.com/generalartic ... rance.html

As I say you can always U2U (personal message) or just email from our website for free advice.
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

No objections from me BB! Always interested in ideas and suggestions from an "insider".
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

We go to camping des abers in L'Aberach( phonetic spelling, sorry). That's the north coast though, fabulous beach, quiet roads for cycling. The hubby sometimes take the kids to a place in Benodet on the south coast in the first week in September which looks fab but would be too busy mid summer I suspect.

We will be heading along the Nantes Brest canal and camping from Redon to Morlaix ourselves this summer. The campsites look generally very nice. We will wave at BB as we pass Gourec!

http://www.camping-des-abers.com/Home-83-0-0-0.html
Last edited by MrsHJ on 16 Jul 2014, 8:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

MrsHJ wrote:We go to camping des abers in L'Aberach. That's the north coast though, fabulous beach, quiet roads for cycling. The hubby sometimes take the kids to a place in Benodet on the south coast in the first week in September which looks fab but would be too busy mid summer I suspect.

We will be heading along the Nantes Brest canal and camping from Redon to Morlaix ourselves this summer. The campsites look generally very nice. We will wave at BB as we pass Gourec!

http://www.camping-des-abers.com/Home-83-0-0-0.html

You'll spot me easy enough - I'll be the one running round in circles like a chicken with it's head cut off... Lovely campsite at Gouarec though - and we've the UK Tandem club international meet there from the 16th August!