Akto size

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
LondonBikeCommuter

Akto size

Postby LondonBikeCommuter » 28 Jul 2013, 7:37pm

Am thinking of getting a Hilleberg Akto but am having trouble finding out if it will easily fit (tent pole!) into an Ortlieb Back Roller Plus pannier.
Anyone have an answer?
Thanks

jags

Re: Akto size

Postby jags » 28 Jul 2013, 8:02pm

i don't think it will fit in my ortlieb bikepacker plus pannier i usually leave it in with the tent which lives on rear rack.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 29 Jul 2013, 10:53pm

I carry mine* in its bag inside a Back Roller Classic.
I have the pole in the side of the tent bag rather than rolled in the centre of the tent, and place it diagonally across the back of the pannier. It pokes up enough that the roll is a bit higher at one side, but doesn't give any problem with the waterproof sealing.

(*)
actually I've recently been carrying it under the flap of a Camper Longflap saddlebag, with either a pair of Front Rollers or a stuff sack on a front rack

LondonBikeCommuter

Postby LondonBikeCommuter » 30 Jul 2013, 7:20am

Andrew thats perfect thanks for confirming. I'm going to quickly have a look at the Lightwave tents as GoOutdoors has a sale on them at the moment but I'm certain I'll get the Akto.

Do you have any tips on using the Akto as a cycle touring tent?

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 30 Jul 2013, 4:31pm

I'd recommend getting as far as crawling inside one before purchase - it's an expensive tent to decide you don't get on with after one trip.
Some people find them too low. I'm OK (6' 1"), but I suppose it depends on whether you sit bolt upright or slouch a bit.

I've swapped the line-loks at one end for white/glow-in-the-dark ones so I can tell which way out the tent is rolled before unrolling it (in case of windy weather when pitching it), and I've changed the pegs so I've got 4 each of 3 types (V, Y and nail) so I can use whichever will hold best on the 4 end guys for a more secure pitch on varying ground. Think in advance about how you will pitch the tent if it is windy - many so-called bomb-proof tents are actually quite vulnerable to damage if a strong gust hits from the wrong angle when they are half-pitched.
Like all small tents you can get a fair bit of condensation occasionally (no amount of ventilation will help if there's no breeze). I carry a J-cloth with the tent so I can wipe down the tent before packing it away.

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 30 Jul 2013, 6:37pm

andrew_s wrote:it's an expensive tent to decide you don't get on with after one trip.
Which is exactly what happened to me 10 years ago. I bought an Akto due to positive reviews etc and found I could not stand the blasted thing. I managed to last probably 4 nights over a long weekend and then sold it and bought something else to go on tour the following week. For the last 3 or 4 years I have been using a Hilleberg Unna in which I've been much happier. It is taller, the inner does not sit so close to my face when sleeping, being essentially freestanding I do not have trouble in trying to peg it out in very hard ground. For me it is a much more satisfactory tent but many people really do like the Akto - each to their own.

I pack my poles separately from the tent, so the tent fabric can be put anywhere you like and the poles probably fit more easily into a bag as well.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 31 Jul 2013, 12:09am

tatanab wrote:the inner does not sit so close to my face when sleeping

One thing with the Akto is that all the spare length in the inner goes above your head - i.e. feet close to the end.

Speaking of feet at the end, if you leave the end vent fully unzipped in high winds, rain can blow in under the overhang and hit the inner, in which case it sprays all over everything within a foot or so of the end of the inner. The inner will cope fine with drips, but not with raindrops on the end of a 30mph wind.