Where do you leave your car?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Claud

Where do you leave your car?

Post by Claud »

Another one I'm hoping you good people can help with ...........

When I have to drive to start point of a weekend tour, I'm pondering how to choose a parking spot. Residential area, rural layby, Nat Park carpark? What's more secure for a couple of days and nights?

And as much as I'd love to take the train, sadly it ain't an option with a tandem, at least not on the route planned this time around.

Any general tips much appreciated.
Mark1978

Re: Where do you leave your car?

Post by Mark1978 »

Residential area with other people parked around will be the best bet for safety. Just try not to take anyone's parking space.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think the first thing is to avoid anything that attracts unwelcome attention. Anything in plain view inside a car can do that no matter where it is parked. A bike carrier on a car parked near a Sustrans path or other cycle route is a clue that the driver has left it and gone for a ride, and it's a clue that will become more obvious as time passes. I'd also suggest you think about how the location may change during a 24 hour period. Busy daytime parking may be empty and deserted overnight.

I'd go with the suggestion of a residential area but pick somewhere which won't upset residents. Apart from that being considerate of others, it reduces the risk of a series of calls to the police. Some TWOC merchants seem to have the knack of abandoning a car they've been using in such a way nobody notices it for days or even months. On a residential street but not quite outside a house seems to be the way to go.

Have you considered a plea for some friendly cyclist in the relevant area to let you use their drive etc?
tonythompson

Post by tonythompson »

Hi I leave my car all the time for a few days while out on my narrow boat. I will often ask at the local pub - helps if you maybe give them some custom. Failing that as above a residential road is best. Leaving it in a lay-by or other places not normally used for long stay parking will attract attention.
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com
Claud

Post by Claud »

Thanks - agreed, residential sound logical then. So the trick is to choose the exact spot - certainly wouldn't want to upset locals. It'd probably need to be a village.

I was reluctant to put out a plea on a public forum for a cycle friendly driveway in case it attracted a fake - or is that me being over cautious? The nearest I got was calling a couple of 'Cyclists Welcome' B+Bs - one had no spare space and the other cited insurance worries (more an excuse than a reason I guess?).
tonythompson

Post by tonythompson »

I've just left my car in several small towns/villages while using the canals. I did some research on Google Earth spotted a couple likely places and they worked out just fine. Included asking permission from a pub landlord and £5 to another meant no problem.
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com
meic

Post by meic »

I prefer to park in a well used area with a property that has a large frontage, that way they will not "need" all of it to park their own cars and your car will appear to belong there to other people.

I have over the decades had cars vandalised, the worse case was when I left it somewhere secluded, other malicious scratching I assumed was done by whoever's house I had parked outside.

Another point brought home to me by my last tours "misadventure" is try and park somewhere that has good access by bus, train or hitching rather than a little unheard of village in the Brecon Beacons miles from anywhere and any popular routes.

I do have some favourite spots now and I wonder if people will start to see my car as a part of the environment and ignore it or start eyeing it up as a potential target for abuse.

Note my car is old battered and unattractive to thieves and I am not bothered by cosmetic damage.
Yma o Hyd
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

For security try not to unload your car near to where you are leaving it. Find a likely spot drive a few streets away to unload. You can then drive back to your spot and quickly leave your car acting as if you do it all the time. A short walk back to your bike and away you go.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
meic

Post by meic »

I reckon that depends on your assessment of the area. I like to leave mine in nice areas where I hope people will see that I have gone off on my bike and know why the car is there and (vaguely) who's it is. They may even help look after it for me.

I have arrived home in my car before now to have a phone call from the Police saying it has been reported as abandoned, which is a bit steep as it was on the public highway, intact and visibly taxed. I suppose a preferable response to scratching my paintwork for parking in "their space".
Yma o Hyd
123ttam

Post by 123ttam »

I suppose that some thing allong the lines of the hot showers network could be of us for "drive Space" by cyclists for cyclists
I live near *** and have a space for 1 car etc.

Just a thought

M
gordy

Post by gordy »

I've used https://www.parkatmyhouse.com/ and paid a nominal sum to (as it says) park at someone's house for a fortnight.
There are similar, alternative, websites too.
123ttam

Post by 123ttam »

cheers

I didn't know that existed.

M
Claud

Post by Claud »

Belated feedback on how it went ..................... In the end I phoned a couple of caravan/campsites, and one was very happy to give me a spot in view of their house for the price of £3/night to the local air ambulance.

Perfect :)