Macpac Minaret - still as good?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
donnieban

Macpac Minaret - still as good?

Postby donnieban » 3 Dec 2013, 12:29am

The original Minaret was pretty much untouchable in its - compact 4 season class. The current version gets mixed reviews with some allegations that the modern groundsheet is not comparable to that of old - water seepage?

Torrentwear™ XP
Macpac tent floors are tough and waterproof. Torrentwear™ XP is a densely woven nylon with a polyurethane coating for maximum durability and outstanding waterproofness (hydrostatic head of 10,000mm).
Torrentwear™ XP weighs only 104 gr/m2 and provides an extremely high level of durability (abrasion and tear strength). The tent floor fabric wraps up the sides of the tent and all floor seams are sealed in our factory with special waterproof seam sealing tape. - See more at: http://www.macpac.co.nz/tents/all-macpa ... dWo5w.dpuf

Does anyone have any experience of the new Minaret? Are there any problems with the groundsheet?

db

pjclinch

Re: Macpac Minaret - still as good?

Postby pjclinch » 4 Dec 2013, 6:16pm

Don't have experience, but note that the spec is similar to Hilleberg's heavier groundsheets so if it's been done properly it should be sensibly bomber, and if it hasn't been you should be able to get your money back.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

donnieban

Postby donnieban » 4 Dec 2013, 7:16pm

pjclinch wrote:Don't have experience, but note that the spec is similar to Hilleberg's heavier groundsheets so if it's been done properly it should be sensibly bomber, and if it hasn't been you should be able to get your money back.

Pete.

Cheers Pete,

Reason for asking was that the groundsheet spec looks sooo impressive but surprisingly, there still appears to be a modest undercurrent of dissatisfaction which is possibly true in small part for any premium tent manufacturer.

The strongest all appear to carry an achilles heel. Even the prestigious Hilleberg zippers attract a negative press.

donnieban

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 5 Dec 2013, 10:47am

Reviews on the Interweb tend to be polarised. I suspect a lot of that on premium stuff is "I paid £££s for this and it's not everything I dreamed of!" or "I paid £££s for this and I'm going to rationalise every last penny as being worth it!", as opposed to what you can reasonably expect having had a long, hard think about what's best for the job.

Hilleberg's zips, for example... I'd not seen that particular current of doubt, but Hille use YKKs which are generally renowned among outdoor gearmongers as at least the equal of anything else out there and it's hard to find any other sort of zip on a top-end tent these days as a result. Rohan do the same for their clothes (they say they've tried everything and YKK are the vest), and while I've seen some moans from their customers that they're not a patch on the RiRi zips they used to use, personally I've had quite a few failures of RiRis... Even the good stuff has to be taken care of, and just because it cost more doesn't make it immune to failure, especially as even good QA is itself open to failure.

This is especially true IME of any well-loved thing that's been changed, like your Minaret's groundsheet!

Pete.

donnieban

Postby donnieban » 5 Dec 2013, 6:59pm

Hi Pete,

I agree, sometimes we build things up too much which mostly ends in tears. I followed the pack - Terra Nova Lazer 2, which offered a bit of extra room for a solo cyclist with 4 panniers, then I looked at the Ti kirby grip like pegs and the crisp packet groundsheet and the "Emperors new suit of clothes" washed over me - I had fallen for the hype.

Whats the point in ultra light if you feel the need to haul sensible pegs and a tyvek groundsheet protector - just in case.

I am content to settle for the Macpac Minaret for exposed coastal touring and the M.H Trango 2 for all my winter stuff on and off the bike.

Do we get what we pay for? Yes, mostly but we still have to look after it.

donnieban

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 5 Dec 2013, 7:30pm

And the other trick is we get what we pay for, but not necessarily what we want...

ripslashtear

Postby ripslashtear » 7 Dec 2013, 1:11pm

Hi
Yes the minaret is still excellent. Easy to pitch, excellent materials and bombproof groundsheet tougher than any I have used. Great for the extra space although porch not massive. Miles better than one person alternatives. Very strong in winds and all weathers. I have had mine 1 year and no complaints. I use mine for cycle touring and mountaineering. I did initially wonder about the Nallo but thought the extra expense for minimal/no benefit was not worth it. Glad I chose the minaret.
Alan

donnieban

Postby donnieban » 8 Dec 2013, 3:34pm

[quote="ripslashtear"]Hi
Yes the minaret is still excellent. Easy to pitch, excellent materials and bombproof groundsheet tougher than any I have used.

That will do very nicely for me Alan. Minaret ordered.

donnieban