camping by the side of the road ( UK only )

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

camping by the side of the road ( UK only )

Post by mercalia »

Has any one done this and what are your experiences? any one know what the law is regarding this? I have seen some nice large roundabouts with lots of dense undergrowth that have made me wonder, or larger areas of land by the side of the road. What does Mr Plod say about this?
horizon

Re: camping by the side of the road ( UK only )

Post by horizon »

When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

horizon wrote:See also:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=84559

I did see that. Thats why wondered if any one done it specifically in the UK & where
irc

Post by irc »

mercalia wrote:
horizon wrote:See also:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=84559

I did see that. Thats why wondered if any one done it specifically in the UK & where

In Scotland it's legal on uncultivated land. Elsewhere in the UK what nobody sees won't hurt them. So dusk to dawn camping in a discreet location would seem the appropriate method.

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/o ... d-camping/
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

irc wrote:In Scotland it's legal on uncultivated land. Elsewhere in the UK what nobody sees won't hurt them. So dusk to dawn camping in a discreet location would seem the appropriate method.

But be aware that farmers may drive around their fields in tractors, or move stock from one field to another, during the night. I read an entertaining account of how a wild-camper discovered these threats to her well-being.
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

Watch out for lampers - often folk go out at night with big lamps and guns after foxes. I have had some fun camping in Scottish glens, where the land managers knew I was somewhere in the area (after meeting them earlier in the day). The landrover would stop and sweep the surrounding area before finally spotting the tent, when they drove off.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Makes me wonder why you ask :?: Have you a tent :?:
If you have used a tent in the open, moors etc, then you will have a good idea.
Extract from the scotish link above-

"Wild camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals and by keeping well away from buildings, roads or historic structures. Take extra care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner's permission. Leave no trace by:

•taking away all your litter
•removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire (follow the guidance for lighting fires)
•not causing any pollution."

This about sums it up, I will add that if you stealth wild camp its not in your interest to be seen or found, even by accident so just bear that in mind especially if your on your tod.

I find it usefull to camp next to water but not at same level as the noise will mask the small animals and getting to sleep easier, also you will not have to trek to find water for your supper.

Thousands camp on side of road even on the same day of year too. Mostly in cars.
The trick is not to annoy, draw attention to yourself, or camp dangerously, better behind a wall than in view of traffic, if late watch where the car headlights go and dont camp there, you might be camping in anothers secrect spot so be preparred for company, pay heed to cattle etc who are very curious, and dont leave food out includding pans to attract foxes, have fun.

P.S. Lay your tent on floor and lie on it to find bumps and if it slopes to your head, before piching.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

About 40 years ago my mate and myself were into the nascent real ale thing. We would drive out into the country {Essex & Suffolk) in search of different brews. At the end of the evening we would drive down country lanes and find somewhere next to the road to camp. This would be entrance to field, wide verge, etc. We never had any problems, but were always off fairly early.

I now deeply regret letting my mate drive while over the limit, times were different then.

I think you could still do the same, ie camp next to the road, but now I would want to get further away from any traffic. As for camping on a big roundabout, you could but police may see you as a danger, either distracting drivers or of being run over. I think you may be moved on. Also probably lots of residual pollution, ugh!
toekneep

Post by toekneep »

There is loads of good advice and tips out there if you Google Wild Camping or Stealth Camping as the Americans like to call it. A couple of tips I picked up which sound good are:

Recce the area whilst it is light and find a suitable spot. Hang around a bit to see if there is passing traffic in the form of dog walkers etc. If it seems like a good spot, leave and find somewhere to cook or buy your evening meal. Return to wild pitch at dusk and leave a dawn.

The second one is very interesting. Look for an elevated position. People walking or driving by rarely look above eye level.
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

I few times I've camped beside the road, but out of view other side of the hedge. I've only got a 1man tent, so can generally squeeze it between the hedge and whatever crops are in there. No problems yet, pitch up while dark and leave early.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
toekneep wrote:Recce the area whilst it is light and find a suitable spot. Hang around a bit to see if there is passing traffic in the form of dog walkers etc. If it seems like a good spot, leave and find somewhere to cook or buy your evening meal. Return to wild pitch at dusk and leave a dawn.

Thats what I do when wild camping in the camper :)
toekneep wrote:The second one is very interesting. Look for an elevated position. People walking or driving by rarely look above eye level.

Good , you can see them they cant easily see you.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

you have to be prepared for the odd surprise: I was once woken at 2 a.m. near the Ridgeway by two men with guns; they were out shooting rabbits, and apologised for scaring me.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I am more interested in the SE England and by the side of the road not on any ones land. Many roads have very wide grassy sides. The land is owned by the state - which dept? Maybe I contact them. Would the regulations on motorised vehicles cover this? or not .dont know. Wonder what the laws are regarding camping on these bits of land? Want to do it real cheap while I get to my real destination. YHA no longer any good as too few.
toekneep

Post by toekneep »

Any law that covers camping on land owned by local authorities would take weeks rather than days to implement. Technically you could probably be moved on by the police but in practice you probably won't, in my opinion. I camped on a traffic island many years ago down in Kent. It was very noisy and the car headlights were a pain but we didn't get moved on. If you contact the official land owners I suspect they will tell you that you can't camp there.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Not my first choice in the middle of a roundabout, its always confused me that as a group of say new age travellers etc, you are normally given two days to move on but as an individual you are simply threatned with arrest :?

Dont be seen and you will be alright, but dont be surprised when some unwelcomed company turns up at anytime.