What to take on tour = Am I missing anything?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Neilo

Re: Am I missing anything?

Post by Neilo »

Dental floss, not only is it good for your teeth, is can be used as sewing thread for emergency repairs, it's very strong.
I use a tip that I got for backpacking. What ever you carry, try to ensure that it has more than one use, that way you do not have to carry so much. Not always possible though, it's somethinng I aim for.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I may have missed them on the list but you should also take:

Passport
EHIC
Details of medical insurance
list of passwords and logins for bank accounts etc. These can be disguised, i.e. written backwards with an extra character at each end etc.
List of important telephone numbers, such as the number to ring if you bankcard is lost. Make sure you have the international numbers not the 0800 ones.
Copies of passport and bank cards stashed away somewhere away from your purse/wallet. In a bag stuffed down the seat tube might be sensible. Have more than one copy.
Some spare cash also hidden away somewhere.
Maps
Note book and pencil. Pencils are good as they don't run in the rain.
If you are paranoid a dog-tag with your name and blood group on it around you neck. Ditto a "dummy" wallet/purse with out of date bank cards in it and a few notes to hand over if mugged.
Spare 5mm screws for securing panniers and bottle holders.
Small tube Locktite
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Paper with who you are, where you are from, medical problems, allergies, who to contact, etc. Just in case you are unable to tell them anything (unconscious)
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Very very good ideas there! All things I had floating around in my head and obviously the passport is a pretty critical one!! Thanks for the great ideas! I was debating taking a dummy purse but convinced myself I was being silly and paranoid but a bunch of my bank cards end their validity next month anyway so might as well put them to good use!

Also just reminded me to leave account details/logins/passwords for everything with family members incase of emergency!

So glad I made this thread! So many things I had vaguely thought of but not written down/actioned!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I have thought of a couple more non-essential items (I'm packing for my own small tour, leaving in 3 weeks):

- tent pole repair tube - it's just a small metal sleeve that fits over the tent pole if it snaps. Only weighs about 5g.
- seat cover - I don't like leaving the Brookes uncovered in the rain overnight! Again, very light, weighs the same as a plastic bag but makes less noise if it's windy.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

jamesgilbert wrote:I don't like leaving the Brookes uncovered in the rain overnight! Again, very light, weighs the same as a plastic bag but makes less noise if it's windy.

What ever you carry, try to ensure that it has more than one use, that way you do not have to carry so much

I go with the plastic bag, or a stuff sack, has more than one use

Neil
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

to cover the saddle I use a Sainsbury's free bag and stuff under the saddle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I always take one more layer of clothes than I think I need. I've been stuck out a couple of times in poor weather, and having that extra layer made all the difference. May - September is hard to pack for, but my list would be (including worn clothes):

3 pairs of cycling shorts (with 3 pairs, I don't ever have to put on damp shorts. I really dislike damp shorts)
1 pair of thermal leggings
1 pair of shower proof/quick drying golf trousers (also okay for going out for a meal)
2 cycling jerseys
1 thermal base layer top (this can also double for going out for a meal)
1 long sleeved winter jersey
1 waterproof jacket (with hood)
2 bras
1 pair underwear
1 buff
1 pair gloves
2 pair socks (merino or wool)
1 pair of wool glove liners

IMO, 4 pairs of shoes (or even 3) is too much to take. Take some cycling shoes you can walk in, and a pair of sandals. A buff is versatile, and can be used as a hat, bandana, scarf, etc. I would take that instead of a bandana. I don't recommend cotton t-shirts. They can take a long time to dry, and they're yucky when wet. I used to cycle in cotton t-shirts, but now prefer synthetics. If you don't have/want to buy cycling jerseys, a couple of cheap 'wicking' shirts from an outfitter, or even the sports section at a department store will be easier to keep clean touring.

What are the bottles / jars for?

The only other thing I can think of that I would take is a bug / snake bite extractor kit.

There's a longish thread about kit viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48438 and a few others around on the forum.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

As you are female, then maybe a book by Josie Dew or Anne Mustoe for feminine cycling inspiration!

...and of course an evening dress and a handbag :D
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Thanks for all the extra tips!

Tent pole repair sleep and patch kit are both in the repair kit - more things I packed without thinking and forgot to list

Since I'm trying to minimise costs I'll probably just go with plastic bag for a seat cover! Free > cheap =P

Thanks Vorpal for the clothing suggestions! That whole section was kind of me winging it so it's usefull to have an idea of how much of each type of clothing to take!

I think for the shoes I'm going to just take cycling shoes and flip flops for now since I already have those and if I feel I want something else as I go I can. They're all very light shoes anyway so it's not like I'm taking multiple pairs of trekking boots!

Just googled a buff to check it's what I think it is and it's what I meant when I put bandana =) I just couldn't think of the proper name! I have it from a previous trip to south africa when I was a teenager and remember it being really useful then!

For t-shirts, as you said trying to limit expenditure, but cycling to and from work has given me a pretty good idea which of the tops I have are suitable and which aren't and I'll probably supplement this with another sports specific one for wicking. As always if I find it's not working as I go I can always pick up another wicking one or proper cycle jersey as I go =)

Bottles/jars were on there for things like liquids (oil, multi-purpose soap, moisturiser/after sun etc) so they're not really an item in their own right so much as parts of some of the other things on the list!

I'm taking a very lightweight polyester dress for when I'm staying in cities/sightseeing/out for a night (again forgot to list this) and my bar bag doubles as a handbag with shoulder strap

Really need to upload an updated list with all these extras! Thanks again everyone!! =)
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Your trip sounds a little like mine! We are leaving mid May to cycle for 3 to 4 months from Bordeaux to Prague via Vienna, then back through Germany, Netherlands and Belgium/France. No fixed end point yet but will be close to somewhere where we can connect with the Eurostar.

We're not cooking so no stove, but other than that our packing lists are similar. Some comments/suggestions:

Huntsman / Swiss Army knife is important - useful for preparing food, opening wine/beer bottles and so on. My one has scissors, tweezers, a couple of knives, bottle/can opener so will tick off 4 or 5 items on your list.

Bike spares: I'm bringing 1 tube (each) and a set of quick patches (like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-Super ... B000WY730O). No spare brakes/cables, just got my cables all replaced and will pick up some new brake pads when I need them. My pump recommendation is a Topeak Road Morph as it will easily reach a high PSI without needing lots of furious pumping! Bring chain lube decanted into a small bottle as you will need to lube your chain at least once in your trip.

I'm bringing a universal sink plug to allow me to use pretty much any sink for washing myself/clothes (and so I can shave!)

I have a tiny travel mirror that can be hung up anywhere. I use it when I shave in the shower when cycling to work. It weighs next to nothing and seems to be pretty much unbreakable: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHAVE-WELL-FREE ... pd_cp_sg_0 is the version I have.

Bring some rubber bands, they can be used to close open food packets.

Agree about some spare 5mm screws in case the rack works itself loose.

Although not yet fully decided I am tempted to bring a camping hookup converter so if I run out of power can get an electric hookup for a night to charge everything up. This is important for me as I am bringing a tablet which will be used for route planning. Converters are pretty cheap and if you get one with a short cable it won't weigh too much. I will just chuck it if we don't use it in the first few weeks!

Clothes wise recommend buying some arm warmers - they pack up super small and are easy to put on/take off as the weather changes. A lightweight gilet will keep the wind off you and also packs up tiny. Used together they will be good to provide extra layers for colder mornings whilst minimising bulk. Definitely agree on suggestions on a buff, I would not be without mine!

Not sure about waterproof trousers. You will get very hot and sweaty riding in waterproof trousers in warm weather, so might as well leave them at home, get wet then dry off in the sunshine afterwards.

That's about all I can think of for now.. enjoy the trip and maybe our paths will cross at some stage!
freiston

Post by freiston »

When I used to go cycle-camping, I always took a large plastic salad/mixing bowl to use for washing/washing-up/laundry (and even salad mixing). I would pack stuff inside the bowl and slide it into the pannier - this way it can afford a little extra protection for some of your more delicate items.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Ah yeah it sounds similar but in reverse! In hind sight I wish I was going the other way around because as it is I'm going to be in Italy (the southernmost part of the trip) during August which means it's going to be hot and crazy busy with tourists. But with my flight home booked already (£45 including me and the bike from Barcelona to Birmingham was too good to pass up!) I don't want to waste it! Ah well!

For your travel home I'd recommend not going from Lille on the Eurostar. I believe they don't take bikes from here to London because the stop is only very brief although I'm not sure if that's just unpacked bikes or packed ones too - maybe worth checking as Lille is a lovely city to visit. Also, if you do go from here, there are no automatic machines to collect eurostar tickets so you have to queue at the ticket office. Make sure you either collect them the day before or allow lots of time when you arrive on the day! Neve fun to start an international journey with sprinting down the station to get to the checkin before it closes even though you arrived at the station itself in plenty of time!!

I think most of the swiss army knife uses are covered by my leatherman and kitchen knife - only one I'm missing is a corkscrew which I may have to add to the list!

Thanks for the spares recommendations. I think I have pretty much the same, plus tent pole tube thing that I can't remember the proper name for. Thanks for the pump suggestion - any suggestions for a lower budget though? I know lower budget means it won't be as good but I can deal with some extra work if it saves monies! Chain lube also sounds like a good addition to the kit and I have a spare mini nalgene bottle that would be perfect for it =)

Universal plug is a good idea too, but for the mirror I've kind of accepted that I'm going to look a bit of a mess and just leave it at that. If necessary I can use my phone camera ^_^

For power I'm just going with the hub charger (yet to test how well this actually works in touring terms but reviews seem promising) and a wall to usb socket that came with my phone. Buying my phone in France means it's a european plug anyway so hopefully between the dynamo/reecharge and any cafes or hostels I use along the way I should be able to keep everything powered! Helps that I'm only taking the phone, mp3 and maybe the kindle. Mp3 and kindle should survive quite a long time between charges so it'll mainly be the phone hooked up to the reecharge =)

Thanks for all the suggestions and good luck with your trip!!
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

Of course, remember to take your password for this forum, cause then you can send a help message for anything that you have forgotten....

Have a great trip and enjoy it!
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

freiston wrote:When I used to go cycle-camping, I always took a large plastic salad/mixing bowl to use for washing/washing-up/laundry (and even salad mixing). I would pack stuff inside the bowl and slide it into the pannier - this way it can afford a little extra protection for some of your more delicate items.

Sorry but I can't resist, this sounds worryingly like taking the kitchen sink :wink: :D