What to take on tour = Am I missing anything?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Vorpal

Re: Am I missing anything?

Post by Vorpal »

randomblue wrote: Thanks for the pump suggestion - any suggestions for a lower budget though? I know lower budget means it won't be as good but I can deal with some extra work if it saves monies!

A budget pump may not allow you to put enough air in the tyres. It's not just a matter of doing more work, but also being able to push hard enough to make a too-small pump do the job. It's not an area to penny pinch, IMO.

That said, I can recommend the Topeak Mini Morph pump which you shouldbe able to get for £20 - 25. I bought one after being rescued from my less-than-satisfactory mini pump by a Mini Morph wielding club mate.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cable ties. Strong, versatile, etc. and weigh virtually nothing.

Ian
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Ok I'll have a look at a better pump next time I get to the shops =) sounds like Topeak is generally a good one to look for! Thanks!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Vorpal wrote:I always take one more layer of clothes than I think I need. I've been stuck out a couple of times in poor weather, and having that extra layer made all the difference. May - September is hard to pack for, but my list would be (including worn clothes):

3 pairs of cycling shorts (with 3 pairs, I don't ever have to put on damp shorts. I really dislike damp shorts)
1 pair of thermal leggings
1 pair of shower proof/quick drying golf trousers (also okay for going out for a meal)
2 cycling jerseys
1 thermal base layer top (this can also double for going out for a meal)
1 long sleeved winter jersey
1 waterproof jacket (with hood)
2 bras
1 pair underwear
1 buff
1 pair gloves
2 pair socks (merino or wool)
1 pair of wool glove liners

IMO, 4 pairs of shoes (or even 3) is too much to take. Take some cycling shoes you can walk in, and a pair of sandals. A buff is versatile, and can be used as a hat, bandana, scarf, etc. I would take that instead of a bandana. I don't recommend cotton t-shirts. They can take a long time to dry, and they're yucky when wet. I used to cycle in cotton t-shirts, but now prefer synthetics. If you don't have/want to buy cycling jerseys, a couple of cheap 'wicking' shirts from an outfitter, or even the sports section at a department store will be easier to keep clean touring.

+1 could pretty much be my list - except for the bras!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
freiston

Post by freiston »

jamesgilbert wrote:
freiston wrote:When I used to go cycle-camping, I always took a large plastic salad/mixing bowl to use for washing/washing-up/laundry (and even salad mixing). I would pack stuff inside the bowl and slide it into the pannier - this way it can afford a little extra protection for some of your more delicate items.

Sorry but I can't resist, this sounds worryingly like taking the kitchen sink :wink: :D

but you are right! After posting, I did a quick search to see if those bowls were still readily available and came to the conclusion that a small washing up bowl would be easier to source :shock: :wink:
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

You can get the big plastic bowls in poundland xD

But yeah I'm only taking 2 panniers + tent and bar bag so not sure space wil lallow for something like that!!
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Ok blog post with pictures/update on the packing list =)

Thanks again for the tips and suggestions given here! If anyone has any other suggestions that aren't on the current list let me know! Always open to last minute shopping! =P
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

That's a really good kit summary, I've never had the patience to take photos of everything!

It all seems pretty good to me, I don't think there are many things you could cut down on (personally I wouldn't take the edible stuff, but I've already mentioned that in a previous post)... Only having rear panniers saves some additional weight, simply because you don't have the rack or the self-weight of the front panniers.

Will look forward to following the blog!
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Thanks!! I kind of got annoyed with myself for unpacking and repacking every time I couldn't remember if I'd put something in or not, and also I have no idea what I've done with receipts for most of it so photos are partially for proof of ownership for any insurance issues XD Also several people have expressed disbelief that I'm planning to live out of 2 panniers for the next 4 months so wanted to reassure them you can actually fit a hell of a lot in there when you pack logically!

Thats a good point about the lack of front rack and extra bags. I hadn't thought of it that way! I guess even 'light' bags in my price range are going to add at least another 1.5kg even without the rack and the stuff inside!

I'm sure for the food there will be things I don't use so often and end up ditching too - most definitely before I get to the passes in Switzerland! I feel like Zurich might involve sending everything that's not absolutely essential either home or ahead to a hostel in Milan!!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

arm warmers. useful under a jumper or on their own. See if your 99p store has any. leg warmers similar.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

randomblue wrote:I'm sure for the food there will be things I don't use so often and end up ditching too - most definitely before I get to the passes in Switzerland! I feel like Zurich might involve sending everything that's not absolutely essential either home or ahead to a hostel in Milan!!

You can always post things home to yourself (or a relative) if you find you don't use it. I've done that before. I also use to, when I was younger, carry one book with me, and when I finished it, I'd post it to myself and buy another book. That way I didn't have to carry a library. Now, I just a carry a library ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Yeah I'm sure at some point I'll post things home that I don't need. I'll probably be doing like you with books but with sketch pads. Have one with lots and lots of pages at the moment but its quite heavy so will probably get a skinnier one and post home when it's full and replace locally. If it wasn't for my kindle I'd probably be doing the same as you for books too! :p I'm also planning to buy a touristy t-shirt in each country I visit and when I get home I'm going to quilt them together so I have something as a momento Of the trip so will need to post those home along the way too, along with any bits and pieces I buy for family. Couple of birthdays while I'm away so will send home gifts too xD may get a little pricey!!
crazyferret

Post by crazyferret »

Hi

You seem to have most of it covered, by the time you have been on the road for a bit you will realise that a lot of it you can do without. Before our first LEJOG 3 years ago my friend and I planned our kit as much as you did.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48438

Here is the thread.

Whilst much of the kit that you see as being very necessary, the pillow for example, will also add weight. I have found reducing the weight has increased my enjoyment of the cycling significantly whilst allowing us to cover greater distances at greater speed. Your cooking kit seems like there there is a lot of extra stuff that could be doubled up. For example I use just a basic swiss army knife with a can opener, a corkscrew and blade as well as a spork. Whilst most days we don't end up eating much more than pasta we normally do have a few extravagant days where we eat like kings. The bottom of the frying pan can be used to chop veg etc or just cut it directly into the pan. When you finish cooking just eat out of the pan as well, saves washing up and means you don't have to carry a plate. The pot cosies can be useful and might save you some fuel they do add weight and bulk, a windshield like this http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/primus-c ... colour=180 will save more fuel and clips round the gas canister, the frying pan doubles as a lid and will also save fuel it can also be used to drain stuff from the pan. It is always worth having a spare source of fire, I prefer lighters as they are more reliable but carry a spare.

Clothes wise why take a bandana and a scarf when a buff does both? Also no trousers?

On your wash kit don't get caught out and keep your toilet roll in its own airtight bag, thats the last thing you want getting wet when the rest of your stuff leaks everywhere. Suncream I recommend P20, you only have to put it on once and it lasts all day, it smells a bit but means you don't have to stop to put more on all the time. Make sure you know how to use the stuff in the first aid kit, I normally add one of those foil blankets, some matches or a lighter as well, you never know. The water sterilisation tablets are dead useful especially if you end up wild camping, just make sure you realise their limitations. They won't kill certain types of amoeba, normally Giardia and Cryptosporidium, unless you have chlorine dioxide tablets. You shouldn't ever be far from clean water anyway though.

When it comes to your tool kit make sure you know how to use it. If you don't know what its for for example the quick links, its probably not worth taking. I wouldn't bother with spare brake pads, you can replace them en route if you need to. It might be worth taking 2 spare tubes, you are away for a while and it is a nightmare fixing punctured ones at the side of the road is its your 2nd puncture of the day. I also take a rag and a small bottle of chain oil, I wipe down the chain to clean it and oil it every few days. This is a section that you can probably afford to cut more stuff, you'll never be far from a bike shop, as long as you can get there they can sort all of your problems.

You are carrying lots of food, I normally find its fine to just buy on the day or stock up for a few days, remember you are carrying it all. The most important piece of advice is to keep track of the day of the week, Everything closes on sunday so be prepared. Why take hair dye, if you really feel the need buy it when you need it.

The most important thing to remember is that the lighter your kit it the easier it will be to cycle and the more enjoyable it will be. 13kg is a lot of weight especially when you start going up hill. Factor in that you will be carrying water and extra food and snacks, it all adds up. This is our kit from last year, we packed in a hurry and ended up need ing an extra fleece each when we got there but that was fine. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... _web#gid=0 Compare it with yours and see what you think, this year we are going super light and using bivi bags and not bothering with panniers, but thats an entirely different story.

Good luck, enjoy your ride and feel free to ask any questions.

Jack