Overnight cycle camping trip with 6 year old

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
HowardW

Overnight cycle camping trip with 6 year old

Post by HowardW »

Took Seren on our first cycle camping adventure at the weekend.
I also made my first attempt at a blog here http://www.10mileseachway.blogspot.co.uk/

I'm happy to receive any comments on or about the blog as I'd like to improve but writing words isn't my strong point.
julk

Re: Overnight cycle camping trip with 6 year old

Post by julk »

What a great trip and nice weather too.

Cycling, camping and sailing - three of my favourite outdoor activities.

I hope you have many more such trips, your daughter will hopefully be forming a lifelong love of cycle camping.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Sounds great I hope you both enjoy many more. :D
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Excellent.

It looks like she'll be ready for a Beinn 20 soon. I would recommend making the jump to the Beinn 20 Large. She will love it.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Awe I'm envious!
Been trying unsuccessfully to get my two girls into cycling but I fear it's just not for them.
I hope you enjoy many more happy miles with yours :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Priceless. Another idea for a trip that many parents favour is to stow the child safely in the back of a 4 x 4 with a DVD player in the front headrest and go for a long drive. Air conditioning a must for the traffic jams.

PS The blog doesn't need improving - it's all there.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

Great blog Howard.

i wish i could get my 12 year old nephew away from his laptop to enjoy something like that.

all the best !

Bikerwaser.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

horizon wrote:Priceless. Another idea for a trip that many parents favour is to stow the child safely in the back of a 4 x 4 with a DVD player in the front headrest and go for a long drive. Air conditioning a must for the traffic jams.

PS The blog doesn't need improving - it's all there.

My sister is guilty of this.
I swear I'm the only one in my family with any sense.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

That looks like great fun :D
HowardW

Post by HowardW »

Thanks for your comments it will be a while before she fits a being 20 large but the small will probably be Christmas complete with panniers!

I've spent this afternoon sitting on the m25 with the bikes on the roof :( Seren was in the back but no DVD's for us,
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I was going to get my youngest (7 yrs old) this as it comes complete with pannier rack and dynamo lights! Kewl or wot!
She decided it wasn't pink enough :shock: and so I got her the Mistigirl instead. She loves it to some extent...isn't keen on me removing the stabilisers yet. Grr.
It's a great little bike though and has the mounts for a pannier rack if that day ever arrives. No bottle cage mounts though oddly enough so it has a clip on cage instead. Does the job.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/20-camelia-id_8240249.html
Bill

alicej

Post by alicej »

I love it! Thinking about maybe taking a nine year old on a short cycle trip sometime soon, I think I'll use your blog to explain what sort of thing I mean. Loads of lovely photos. Where are you going next?
HowardW

Post by HowardW »

Hi Alicej

Sorry i've not replied before now but have just spent 3 weeks in cornwall in a tent including half day canoe trip and half day sailing (Seren and my first time in a sailing dhingy following Cate doing the course in the blog!)

I'm glad you enjoyed the blog

I am in the process of moving house to gloucester so next trips will be next year most likely to the forest of dean and winchcombe. which will be 25 and 20 miles each way with some tougher hills. We are just about to order the new isla for Seren who has grown too soon for us to wait till christmas.

She managed 25 miles twice while we were away doing the camel trail and newlyn - lands end the latter having some decent hills

H