Campsite costs

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Slowroad

Campsite costs

Post by Slowroad »

Is it just me not moving with the times or are campsites getting a lot more expensive rather quickly? Doesn't seem long since £6 or £7 was a regular going rate for one person, and I could often find a place for £5, now it seems to be £10.
Should I be glad that there's a resurgence in camping and rural economies can benefit? Or carry on grumbling about 'glamping'? :-)
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
foxyrider

Re: Campsite costs

Post by foxyrider »

Glamping - B&B for the stupid of pocket!

I guess it depends where you are how much sites charge and of course the facilities included in the cost. Last year in Switzerland I paid from £10 including shower etc to £25 where you paid extra for everything - makes no sense but overall I haven't seen more than a nominal increase in prices over the last ten years on a like for like basis.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

I won't pay more than £8 as a matter of principle. And even that I think is a little high.
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

This year I have generally paid £8, sometimes less. The most expensive backpacker rate was at Glen Nevis at £11.50, the lowest at a Camping and Caravanning Club site at £6.20, at non-member rates.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The first site I'll be staying at on Thursday is charging £4 a night and the second is asking £7 a night and they look like nice little sites, the first being a little basic but that's ok.
I looked at the Delamere forest site too, then changed my mind......£17 iirc :shock:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Ned Ludd

Post by Ned Ludd »

"Can I book for 2 people and 2 bikes please"
"With an electric hook up?"

Sadly due to peoples desire to take so many electrical items with them, and the increase in monster tents campsites have changed from fields with a tap n toilet to second homes in a field.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Vantage wrote:The first site I'll be staying at on Thursday is charging £4 a night and the second is asking £7 a night and they look like nice little sites, the first being a little basic but that's ok.
I looked at the Delamere forest site too, then changed my mind......£17 iirc :shock:

Lady Hayes is a nice site not far from Delamere, think it was about £8.

Dave
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

If the Delamere site Vantage wanted is the C&CC club site, then a non-member backpacker would be paying far less than £17, usually about £6-8, depending on season and specific site. Backpackers do not pay the pitch fee otherwise charged to non-members.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

MLJ wrote:If the Delamere site Vantage wanted is the C&CC club site, then a non-member backpacker would be paying far less than £17, usually about £6-8, depending on season and specific site. Backpackers do not pay the pitch fee otherwise charged to non-members.

The backpacker rate often seems to be very hard to spot on the website(s), and occasionally the person on the desk at the site will need to be told/reminded about it. Cycletourists count as backpackers (and I would expect other non-mechanised users like canoeists to count too).
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

I went camping in the New Forest earlier this summer, and found that the cost has rocketed down here, don't think there was a site within the forest that was less than £20/£25 a night. Lovely area to be in but definitely pay a premium for it. :(
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

£20-25!! Blimey!
I remember being charged £8 per person at Old Sarum in the early '90's and feeling very ripped off.
However have been looking into campsites for short trip next week and found several at £6-8. Will report back!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

SaintMatt wrote:I went camping in the New Forest earlier this summer, and found that the cost has rocketed down here, don't think there was a site within the forest that was less than £20/£25 a night. Lovely area to be in but definitely pay a premium for it. :(

at those prices I think a bivvy bag makes sense & just pop into the loos to have a wash?
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

mercalia wrote:
SaintMatt wrote:I went camping in the New Forest earlier this summer, and found that the cost has rocketed down here, don't think there was a site within the forest that was less than £20/£25 a night. Lovely area to be in but definitely pay a premium for it. :(

at those prices I think a bivvy bag makes sense & just pop into the loos to have a wash?

Its madness as once your outside the Forest boundary the prices come back down to sensible prices!!
hamster

Post by hamster »

Scarcity. It's impossible to get planning permission for campsites (or much else) inside the forest - even the Forestry Commission sites have to use portakabins for the toilets.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've found that if a site has a web-site then chances are they are a bit more expensive. Went to Pembrokeshire for a week a couple of years ago and paid £13 a night for tent and two people. I found this on a website and booked in advance. On arrival found there were a lot of smaller sites in the area with just a board at the gate saying 'camping' that were £6-10. These may have had fewer facilities but on the whole UK site have pretty low standard of facitilies anyway and higher prices than French ones.
One of my favorite site is in the Brendon Valley in Exmoor. £2.50 a night, lovely soft grass, they allow open fires, toilets are the public ones in public car-park next door and the bath in a large pool in the East Lynn River that runs past the site. Bit like wild camping (apart from the fire) but don't have to set up and leave before anyone notices.