Vaude Taurus split poles

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Slowroad

Vaude Taurus split poles

Post by Slowroad »

My Vaude Taurus Ultralite has developed two splits in two of the pre-bent aluminium pole sections. The splits are 1 to 1.5cm long. I've had the tent about 4 years and cannot find the receipt. I bought it at a Blacks shop where they knew what they were talking about (used to be the Scout Shop) this is defunct so went to the Blacks (used to be Millets) who were hopeless. Cotswold Outdoor very helpful, they will send it to Vaude to see how much new poles will be. In the meantime I'm going camping for a week in it! Think I'll gaffa tape the ends just in case - the repair tube kindly supplied by Vaude doesn't fit over the bent tubes.
Any thoughts on this? Anyone had the same problem? Clearly the thinner tubes don't last as well - I've a standard Taurus which is about 15 years old and the poles are OK. Compromises with lightness that I hadn't thought of.
It has made me look at new tents again...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
MrsHJ

Re: Vaude Taurus split poles

Post by MrsHJ »

Bad luck, same experience as you re the older models. I have the pre Taurus model I think (same shape but a single skin tent), since about 1997. We're using it this year. We test pitched it this week and the poles look fine.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Out of interest - You've had it 4 years. How many times have you actually used it?
b1galus

Post by b1galus »

rather than gaffer tape it might be better to do a blind whipping with some strong thread and then varnish it
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

b1galus wrote:rather than gaffer tape it might be better to do a blind whipping with some strong thread and then varnish it

Whipping would be much better than tape - the adhesive will eventually make an unholy mess of the whole thing I imagine. Properly whipped it'll last for years. Mine did. Use Wenzel thread. Careful when you google it or else you'll end up with baked goods... :shock:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
jimcrosskell

Post by jimcrosskell »

Hi Slowroad
Try Action Outdoors 01473 211647
I have bought Vaude tents from them for ages for our Scout Group and they are very helpful often repairing aged pole sets rather than supplying new. They have turned around repoles within a couple of days, repairs at £25ish and new pole sets £90ish. I have no connection with them being located more than 100 miles from Ipswich, but they are very good at what they do. They will need the code number that is written on a small label usually in one of the pockets near the front door, this gives them the year of manufacture and allows the correct pole set to be supplied.
Backwinds forever..................
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

jimcrosskell wrote:Hi Slowroad
Try Action Outdoors 01473 211647
I have bought Vaude tents from them for ages for our Scout Group and they are very helpful often repairing aged pole sets rather than supplying new. They have turned around repoles within a couple of days, repairs at £25ish and new pole sets £90ish. I have no connection with them being located more than 100 miles from Ipswich, but they are very good at what they do. They will need the code number that is written on a small label usually in one of the pockets near the front door, this gives them the year of manufacture and allows the correct pole set to be supplied.
Backwinds forever..................

My Ultralight suffered such damage, cumulatively over @ 10 years use. It had been used in quite high winds which flattened the tent and even survived a tree falling on it! When the splits first appeared i likewise tried the repair sleeve but couldn't make it stay in place so i went to plan B which was to rotate the damaged poles so the stress was opposite the split. This got me through the second half of an Alpine tour but i got the poles sorted before my next trip.

The ultralight poles are not pre bent, if yours are bent when not in use you have a problem with tent erection that needs checking out.

Guys mentioned above replaced the damaged bits and restrung (?) them in about a week for something like £30.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Cheers for the advice - CTC forum comes up with the goods again!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

DaleFTW wrote:Out of interest - You've had it 4 years. How many times have you actually used it?

It's been used for approximately 8-10 weeks over that time.
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

foxyrider wrote:The ultralight poles are not pre bent, if yours are bent when not in use you have a problem with tent erection that needs checking out.

Actually they are pre-bent - there are some differences between models from different years. Thanks for the comments re the guys who can replace the poles!
― Peter Golkin
hamish

Post by hamish »

I had a cracked pole problem when the tent was new. Vaude replaced the poles under warranty. I have the old poles and when I suffered another break recently I canabalised them to sort the problem out.

I like the tent so much (due to the fact that it is cheap, light, roomy and tough) that I have just ordered a new one hoping that they have improved the poles !?!?

I wonder if it would be possible to buy better quality repacement poles - at least for the hoop pole?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Slowroad wrote:
foxyrider wrote:The ultralight poles are not pre bent, if yours are bent when not in use you have a problem with tent erection that needs checking out.

Actually they are pre-bent - there are some differences between models from different years. Thanks for the comments re the guys who can replace the poles!

Have to say that my replacement poles much like the originals are not bent - they can take on a bend in use which they may maintain. That said mine is a 2002 model!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

General tips on avoiding pole cracks (apologies if this is egg sucking for grannies 101), always place sections together rather than shake the pole and let the shock-cord pull them together, and if you've been by the seaside rinse the poles thoroughly in warm water at the end of the tour to get any salt off (Terra Nova wouldn't replace a pal's Quasar poles because they deemed them cracked after salt corrosion).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...