Tent in outer bag waterproof ?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Graham O

Re: Tent in outer bag waterproof ?

Post by Graham O »

While there is a need to keep the tent inner dry'ish, why do cyclists worry so much about keeping the outer dry or drying it before setting off? I've backpacked for 40 years and never worried about it. Plus since these have often been in high mountains where the rain is worse than in "typical" cycle touring areas, I'm puzzled. Not being contentious, just curious.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Couple of suggestions: 1) cultural memory - back in the old days when tents were made of cotton, it was a good general rule to dry the fabric before folding away. Moisture encouraged mould and shortened the life of the fabric. Now, you and I know that the possibility of drying a damp cotton fly in time to strike camp was slight, but nevertheless the notion of stuffing away a damp outer would still feel wrong. 2) A wet tent stuffed in the same bag as other items will make everything damp, so I imagine there's a tendency to want the tent to be dry before stuffing. And speaking personally, given how quickly a thoroughly wet outer can dry in good morning sun, it's tempting to feel that an outer, bone-dry before stuffing time, is a genuine possibility and surely one to look forward to, especially if one has not had the foresight to bring a separate container for the eventuality of a dew-dripping fly sheet! Who Knows?!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Why carry around half a kilo (?) of water in your bag when you don't have to may be one, and a dry fly is easier to handle for the next pitch may be another, though I'm not too fussed either.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

How much water will a fly pick up during a day even in the heaviest rain? Even rolled up in a mesh bag on top, it is only the outside that will get wet (and will dry when it stops raining) and the total water carried will probably be less than 100g. How much extra does the waterproof bag you have put it in weigh compared to a lightweight bag?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

If the water is just dew/condensation then I am happy to shake off what I can and then roll up the tent with the inner still attached and put it in its stuff sack which is enough to stop anything else in the bag getting wet. I know the inner now gets wet from being rolled together, but it will dry quickly when putting the tent up at the end of the day - assuming there is some sun or wind.

If the water is due to rain I will separate the inner and outer, pack the inner as usual and stow the outer in a bin bag on the outside of my baggage. The bin bag I use is a very fragile recycling one issued by my local council. Good enough for this occasional use.

I like to be on the road very early so do not want to hang around a campsite on the off chance that the sun might appear for long enough to dry the outer, so I probably pack a damp tent more often than many here.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Graham O wrote: How much extra does the waterproof bag you have put it in weigh compared to a lightweight bag?

My tent currently lives in a 5l nano dry sac from sea2summit which weighs 26 grams - it is waterproof and lightweight - the original bag for the tent is not so thoroughly waterproof and weighs three times as much!

I'm not bothered about keeping the tent dry - it often gets packed wet, but I prefer to keep everything else in the bag dry, the down sleeping bag certainly doesn't like wet and I prefer to keep the sleeping mat dry too!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Well am back from tour and ended up using a Black bin liner as the dry bag I ordered was way, way to small!

The bin bag was fine apart from being ripped apart on some bushes.

Dave
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Hope you had fun :D
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Not much point in keeping a tent in a dry bag - in most weathers it'll be damp with condensation when you pack it unless you wait for it to dry. If the weather is wet so will your tent be.
We just stuff ours into its own front pannier. I roll the poles up with the sleeping mat.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

If I have had to pack my tent away wet on a tour, first chance I get for a meal break if the weather is decent I roll the tent out on the grass and let it dry for half an hour or so.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mine goes into a dry bag with a difference - right way out it stops wet getting in but lets the contents breath which means it lets the damp from the tent out. If i'm putting the tent away wet, turn the bag inside out keeping the wet in the bag, not over my sleeping bag etc! If i thought i was going to have several days of wet i'd seperate the inner to keep it as dry as possible - nothing worse than climbing into a damp tent to sleep!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

so, you've got to your destination with your carefully kept-dry tent. What do you put over the tent to keep it dry once it's up?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

profpointy wrote:so, you've got to your destination with your carefully kept-dry tent. What do you put over the tent to keep it dry once it's up?

in preference a clear starry sky :D
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Ive never bothered with anything other than the tent bag - goes on bike between panniers - 9 times out of ten the outer is wet/damp due to rain/dew - ten times out of ten the inner is dry - if i fold the inner properly it stays dry during the day wrapped in the outer - if the weather is good the outer is dry or all but dry by the end of day (ive never bother to look to see if if it is dry earlier) if the weather is bad then the outer is no wetter but the inner is still dry

A bone dry tent is a thing of beauty but its not worth spending time faffing about trying to achieve it - as someone above has said the weight difference on a lightweight outer is minimal
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Starfire wrote:If I have had to pack my tent away wet on a tour, first chance I get for a meal break if the weather is decent I roll the tent out on the grass and let it dry for half an hour or so.

+1

Coffee stop, on tour Portugal Sep'14 - needed to dry the tent not from rain but condensation.
Attachments
temp2.jpg
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey