Tent in outer bag waterproof ?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
theDaveB

Tent in outer bag waterproof ?

Post by theDaveB »

Been packing for my first trip away and as my tent seems to take up the most room am wondering of just strapping it to the top of my bag (am using a trailer). Will that be ok in a downpour or should I put in another bag ?

It's a vango tent and the bag it's in (the one it came in) pulls tight but doesn't quite close, if you know what I mean.

Dave
Neilo

Re: Tent in outer bag waterproof ?

Post by Neilo »

I've ditched the tent bag a put the inner and fly in separate waterproof stuff bags. Mostly to stop a wet fly, or inner from wetting other things in my panniers. Tent bags aren't necessarily waterproof, some are made from the same material as the tent, some are just non waterproof nylon.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Can't see an problem with that, except in the event that it rains heavily, your tent will get wet. Still not a problem unless you've packed it in such a way that the inner gets wet... I don't use the stuff-sac that came with the tent, but instead, bought a dry-bag from Alpkit.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Cheers, I have ordered a dry bag from Alpkit.

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

why not just get some heavy duty bin /garden bags?

much cheaper and less conspicuous
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Because they get holed reasonably easily when handled a lot and don't have an intrinsically waterproof easy seal.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

not the garden ones for leaves etc. I have had some blue ones for 10+ years still intact that are very thick.As for sealing a strip of velcro round the top does a nice job.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Neilo wrote:I've ditched the tent bag a put the inner and fly in separate waterproof stuff bags. Mostly to stop a wet fly, or inner from wetting other things in my panniers. Tent bags aren't necessarily waterproof, some are made from the same material as the tent, some are just non waterproof nylon.

Neil

+1
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:not the garden ones for leaves etc. I have had some blue ones for 10+ years still intact that are very thick.As for sealing a strip of velcro round the top does a nice job.

There is a big difference between keeping leaves in and keeping water out. Also the case that keeping leaves in doesn't really add the sort of stresses that stuffing a tent in does. And if they're "really thick" you've rather wasted your money on a lightweight tent...

Pete.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pjclinch wrote:
mercalia wrote:not the garden ones for leaves etc. I have had some blue ones for 10+ years still intact that are very thick.As for sealing a strip of velcro round the top does a nice job.

There is a big difference between keeping leaves in and keeping water out. Also the case that keeping leaves in doesn't really add the sort of stresses that stuffing a tent in does. And if they're "really thick" you've rather wasted your money on a lightweight tent...

Pete.

You really are a argumentative so & so? it seems like some people just want to spend money on the "proper" gear. Plastic bags are plastic bags. some are thicker than others. The op I think is using a trailer so not into featherlight camping. Presumabley the cheap plastic survival bivvy bags also no good? They are reasonabley sturdy and would be a good large sack to put all your stuff in on a trailer
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Yes, I'm an argumentative so and so, but one with experience of both heavy gauge plastic bags and lightweight dry-bags. I have both, and my considered opinion is the latter are much the best for the job at hand.

Compared to the cost of a trailer, bike and a tent, a dry-bag from someone like Alpkit is really an inconsequential extra, so why be a cheapskate?
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

I too have a Vango tent and I was happy with the supplied bag. It's made of the same material as the flysheet, so is waterproof. I know what you mean re the drawstring, but if you pull it as tight as you can then push the string in the hole, there's not much of a gap. Mine stayed dry in Ireland, and I had some downpours.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

pjclinch wrote:

Pete.

I think the type of plastic bag being referred to is a rubble sack. They are tough (as the name implies) - I've used one for lining a non-waterproof pannier for over a year, and they certainly last longer than the supermarket 'bags for life'. They weigh less than 70g and you can get them in packs of 6 or 7 from a pound shop.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Rubble sacks do indeed make good liners, and I often suggest them for rucksacks too. Not quite the same job as a tent bag though, where smaller, more flexible and more easily resealable are all advantages of a light dry bag.

Pete.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I find those rubble bags good on my trailer, just the right size