... of beach camping with traffic free coast paths

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
andrew_s

Re: ... of beach camping with traffic free coast paths

Post by andrew_s »

How about Aviemore for a non-coastal suggestion?

There's a reasonable beach at the east end of Loch Morlich, a pleasant small campsite at Coylumbridge (recommended) and a big campsite at Loch Morlich, and a good network of cyclable forest tracks with pretty decent packed gravel surfaces connecting them. Aviemore to Glenmore YH is a cycle track a few metres back from the road. The forest tracks go as far as Boat of Garten, Nethybridge, Feshiebridge (mile of singletrack) or Loch Einich (2 definite wading fords) if you are adventurous.
1684riley

Post by 1684riley »

Hi guys, I have registered after stumbling on this site looking for the same info as Latequartet, in a bit of a dilemma.

I too am looking for the perfect route for us parents an 8 and 4 yr old, 8 yr old is unstoppable and races cx and circuit but the little one is in a we ho Igo. We're looking for our first 2 week tour and the original plan was go west from Santander on quiet roads but I'm a little concerned about the traffic and kids safety. We toured that area last year with car and tent and it is a beautiful part of Spain, fantastic cheap food and wine, warm sea and great beaches, Santander is excellent for bikes but the rest of the route is an unknown as we stuck to main arterial routes.

I have considered a week in and week back on the camino del Norte but I fear it's a little rugged for three cx/tourers and two trailers, I'm struggling to find relevant info.

We have a Portsmouth to Santander ferry booked so were focused around that area but have the option to cancel.

I will keep an eye on this post and thanks for the information so far.

Latequartet we are also from south Yorks, Swinton, if only the world was blessed with the TPT's we have.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

The problem with northern Spain is it is hilly, very in places and the weather at any time of the year can be a bit damp - although summer should be warm at least.

If you want traffic free cycling what about the Nantes - Brest Canal in France? This account of a trip my brother and I made covers the stretch from Nantes to Roscoff which we did in 5 days but with little ones you would take longer and you could spend a few days at a beach at the end. Look for the entry for 14th June for Nantes. Some people find the journey boring but in June all the flowers were out and we found quite a lot to see.

You can get to Nantes from Roscoff by train in under 5 hours with changes at Morlaix and Rennes, so it might be a bit fraught with everyone in tow but that would be part of the fun! You could always break the journey somewhere.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/France2013

Trains: http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/choose-your-outbound-journey (You will have to fill in the destination etc)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The Netherlands and Belgium have both very good off-road and child friendly cycling, and long coasts with many beaches. However, they can be quite busy in the summer, and you may need to use routes a few miles inland just to avoid crowds.

There is also quite good information available about the cycle routes, which are generally quite well marked. I'm not sure how camping is along the coastal routes, but I have certainly seen camp grounds; many of them appeared to be quite family-friendly, with play areas and things. Here's a link about camping in Belgium https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 8,4.938354

In the Netherlands, the cycle-route planner, includes cycle-friendly camping http://www.nederlandfietsland.nl/en/onl ... te-planner

Denmark is also a good place to cycle, but there are fewer off-road routes in rural areas. That said, Danish drivers, in my experience, are quite considerate and pass cyclists carefully. I would be happy taking my 8 year old on the road, there.

There have been other threads about camping in the Netherlands and Denmark...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=81692 has links to a few other threads
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=90721&p=833004

Also, there have been a few previous threads with family friendly cycling destinations, though, not admittedly, including beaches necessarily. They can be found with a forum search for 'family camping' You can easily narrow that down a bit by including a country or other location. Of course, even if they aren't beach-related threads, they may have some good ideas. Good luck & have fun planning your trip. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
1684riley

Post by 1684riley »

I had considered the hills in spain, we would be staying away from the picco's but it is quite hilly in places.

How full do the campsites get on that SW coast of france in August? Our experience In spain was without issu, no need to book but i am concerned about France, the cost of food is also an issue as we planned to leave the cooking and foodstuff at home due to spanish food being so cheap and of great quality. Our experience of a whistle stop tour of france showed a 150-200% increase in the cost of eating out.

Has anyone any experience of the Portuguese camino along the coast to santiago?
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Feel free to send a personal message, but it is indeed a bit difficult to find both coast and a cyclepath running along it in Brittany. There were no such rail-links so nothing to convert and the north can be hilly if you're traversing the coast. Inland there's a fair bit of choice with cyclepaths or very quiet roads (if you look here you'll see a map you can copy - http://www.bretonbikes.com/route%20desc ... amping.htm ) - it is a moving-on tour but really lovely.

To the south around Erdeven there are both nice campsites (les Megaliths - http://www.campingcard.co.uk/france/bri ... es-103247/ - is the one we use there) and both cyclepaths and quiet roads in the area. Fabulous and interesting (rock pools etc) beaches there too.
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

1684riley wrote:How full do the campsites get on that SW coast of france in August?

My experience, quite a long time ago, was that the coastal sites were mostly pretty full (still squeeze a 1 man tent in tho'), but that those a few miles in from the coast had plenty of space.
1684riley

Post by 1684riley »

Cheers guys.

I am still swaying toward northern spain. I want to keep the route pretty fluid so we can do as we please when we please. The camp sites are plentiful and the locals friendly with cost of food very cheap. I am going to see if I can get some elevation data through some map programme, Im not sure if view ranger shows it on a planned route, I will aim to stick to minor/quiet roads. I will make a more informed decision then. If there are any further suggestions please keep em coming tho, Although i have hijacked this post :D
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

You are right about the difference in costs, we found, as a trivial example, a couple of coffees in Spain was about half the cost of the same in France.

I drove along some of the north coast either side of Gijon last year, sticking close to the sea when possible and they weren't roads I would want to cycle, narrow in places, and even in October quite a lot of traffic. And hills of course. It is cyclable of course but not perhaps for a family.

An option might be to start at San Sebastian and head inland along the Pyrenees route described in the Cicerone book. Details can be found in this journal of our trip going in the other direction last year. You may have to retrace your steps but alternatively try and return by train. San Sebastian can be reached by train from Santander although this seems to demand an overnight stay in expensive Bilbao. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Spain2014
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

1684riley wrote:Cheers guys.

I am still swaying toward northern spain. I want to keep the route pretty fluid so we can do as we please when we please. The camp sites are plentiful and the locals friendly with cost of food very cheap. I am going to see if I can get some elevation data through some map programme, Im not sure if view ranger shows it on a planned route, I will aim to stick to minor/quiet roads. I will make a more informed decision then. If there are any further suggestions please keep em coming tho, Although i have hijacked this post :D

There is,some sort of cycle route around Santander to Bilbao I think, one of my cycling crowd did it this summer with their teens. I got the impression it was an old rail route. Probably worth a Google.
latequartet

Post by latequartet »

DaveP wrote:Well Utopia could be the Southern sections of this http://www.velodyssey.com but public transport could be problematic.

For now, well did you actually mean Swansea Bay or were you referring to the bit on the other side of the Gower, Llanelli to Pembrey?
The Millenium coastal path links Pembrey Country Park, which has its own traffic free trails (if you hear engine noise it'll be from a track on the old airfield) right along the top of the beach to the WWT Wetlands Centre past Llanelli. Along the way there are, well, beaches, and moored boats to look at. Cycling is officially permitted, its part of the NCN. I'd say its tailor made for you. I think there might be a road train as well.
I don't know about camping, but it's the Welsh coast - there must be some!

PS the Welsh coastal railway line passes close by, offering the possibilities of excursions as well as access.

A massive thank you and thumbs up to DaveP for his recommendation about Pembrey, the coastal path from the Welsh coastal railway: it was as perfect as you we could have hoped for, so many thanks.
A towing-daily-road cyclist (without a car) with children and a wife. Cycling close to and on the NCN 6 in Sheffield.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

How about Inverie (Knoydart peninsula in Scotland). Train to Mallaig, boat to Inverie, beach and camping less than a mile SE of the village. It's years since I was there, so it may have changed a bit. There were NO facilities beyond a small river for fresh water, but there were toilets in the village and the inn used to provide showers for a small fee (maybe free if you eat there). Not much cycling to get there, but once there, since there is no road access, there are only a very few cars on the short section of tarmac'd road, and some lovely places to cycle or walk to. Lots of opportunity for safe unsupervised play etc.

As it's about 10yrs since I was there, if you're interested, best to check out the current state of affairs.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

latequartet wrote:- either on the continent / Britain / Ireland;
- where our family, with two children who can pedal unaided (but can hitch to our bikes when tired)) aged 3 and 5, can camp;
- where we can cycle along the coast to a minimum of one decent sandy beach without too much hill climbing.

We will use public transport to arrive (but are used to doing so, we took 18 trains around Britain last summer with the same set-up).

You noted Amsterdam/Rotterdam which aren't so much ideal for beach camping... but NL is an excellent destination for it. From Den Helder down to IJmuiden it's pretty much one very long sandy beach, and then down from IJmuiden down to the Delta Works is another. I've not been to the Friesland islands but I think they are popular beach-camping destinations.

The ferry to IJmuiden gives you easy access to all of this (we've cycle-toured with young family from there to Den Haag and back).

I personally prefer the sort of beaches you get in the Western Isles, but children tend to be less interested in lovely vistas!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
latequartet

Post by latequartet »

Thanks Pete, yes we've been looking eagerly about time along the Dutch coast and the first two Friesan islands :) :D
A towing-daily-road cyclist (without a car) with children and a wife. Cycling close to and on the NCN 6 in Sheffield.