Wild Camping on Tiree and Coll. Opinions? Advice?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Steve922

Wild Camping on Tiree and Coll. Opinions? Advice?

Post by Steve922 »

I was thinking of calling in to these two islands for a day or two on my way to the Outer Hebrides, where I'll be wild-camping on my first Scottish tour.

I'd be most pleased to hear any experiences, advice, opinions, etc. regarding wild camping there.
rualexander

Re: Wild Camping on Tiree and Coll. Opinions? Advice?

Post by rualexander »

Wild camping is no problem, several nice beaches with good camping spots on both islands.
Steve922

Post by Steve922 »

Excellent! Thanks for the info. Er... would drinking water be available also? I usually drink from streams (or raging rivers!) in Scotland and am quite happy with almost anything (but salt-water!)
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Water can be got at the piers. Coll had a problem with this but I think now sorted. If not try any house. They are not usually very far away.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

There are burns and small lochs on both islands
cycletourer

Post by cycletourer »

There is also wild camping at Arinagour on the hill behind the church. There are no facilities and camping is free although they would welcome any donations to one of the charity boxes on the bar of the Coll Hotel which is below, they also would like to know you are there so pop in to the hotel before you pitch up. We used it for a night on our Hebrides tour in 2013, nice little spot with some great views.
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

Hey Cycletourer, Love your website. Lots of great info in there and like you style and photos. Thanks for taking the time to share. I'm inspired! :wink:
cycletourer

Post by cycletourer »

rannochraider wrote:Hey Cycletourer, Love your website. Lots of great info in there and like you style and photos. Thanks for taking the time to share. I'm inspired! :wink:

Hi rannochraider, Glad you liked the website. We've enjoyed our cycletours so much and it's our way of giving something back. It's obviously done its job if it has inspired you :D . Currently just trying to finish our travelogue of our Shetland tour, hope to have that up soon :wink:.
Steve922

Post by Steve922 »

+1 for your website, rannochraider. I'm steadily working through your Hebrides Tour in detail. Very good stuff indeed. Your Norfolk trip too and I keep dipping into other sections (tips, etc.) An excellent resource for the kind of Touring I wish to do! :-)

Thanks again.