low bulk but very warm blankets

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

low bulk but very warm blankets

Post by mercalia »

low bulk but very warm blankets . DO they exist? Have to be low bulk so that easily fit in my bivvy bag, sleeping bags too cramped. But no point if not nice and warm at night temperatures we get at this time of the year in the SE

has any one tried this?

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/XA107.html
foxyrider

Re: low bulk but very warm blankets

Post by foxyrider »

I used a fleece bag/blanket on a couple of tours, bout the same size as your average sleeping bag but reasonably light and spacious. Think mine is Life Venture and was fine until I got above 500m in the prealps :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
b1galus

Post by b1galus »

i have a PHD quilt absolutely amazing great because you can sit up and wrap it round yourself
not cheap it cost the same as my rab sleeping bag
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Fleece on its own is quite heavy.
I have a cycling jersey that is warm the moment it hits your skin, cant decide whether its actually a trick or its some sort of tickling agitation :?

That's the problem with cheaper bivvys is that they are too small.
Plan to treat myself to a large one so you can use a normal bag in it.

I don't think that a single skin material is going to out perform a sleeping bag, I guess that the special fleece is more a survival aid.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I have the Alpkit extra large bivvy, but then I am also hmm that way.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I saw a large Bivvy Bag on ebay some time ago, think it was 530 grams but would sleep two, so ideal for comfort for one and stowing some gear.
Cant find it now.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Looks interesting but am wondering if it might be easier to add warmth by just popping on some thermals.

Aldi does some excellent cheap thermals from time to time.

By the by, interesting that you even see thermals being sold - not so long ago they were seen as a total joke - sign of the times/terrible fuel bills i suppose.
Sweep
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

Sweep wrote:
Aldi does some excellent cheap thermals from time to time.
Bought three pairs of merino longs for £2.99 a pair only a couple of weeks ago, grossly reduced from the teens of pounds price only a week before when I meant to go & buy some. Worth keeping your ear to the ground.
:D
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

mercalia wrote: has any one tried this?

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/XA107.html

No experience of this product, but it's something I've been interested in, too – mainly to boost the warmth of my 2 season down bag when necessary. Most of the time I find merino longjohns and a silk liner the best way to increase warmth without bulk.

For frosty nights, I've been considering using two large wool shawls bought in Nepal – they are smaller than a standard blanket and a very tight weave, so very warm. If you can find something similar, that could be an option – although you may get funny looks from the ladies in M&S :) .

If you can spare the cash, I'd second the suggestion of a down quilt or perhaps a top bag – both can be expensive but you may find a deal second hand. Top bags are essentially a quilt with a sewn in sheet underneath for your mat – great for small people like me but you may find it too constricted.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

my cold problem was not the body/arms or head but legs and feet which a few days ago were chilled to say the least inspite of the fact i put on 2 pairs of those warm type joggers - was a test that failed. The problem I think was that the bivvy bag its self was very cold to the touch and transmitted the cold to my legs in contact with it. The temps were about 6-7C according to the BBC weather website where I was
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

mercalia wrote:my cold problem was not the body/arms or head but legs and feet

What mat are you using and do your legs stick out? You could try some additional ground insulation, maybe foam or newspaper? I use a thermarest prolite 4 short length and have poor circulation in my feet so my legs below the knee can get very cold. I carry a 500ml aluminium Sigg-style bottle from a pound shop which makes a great hot water bottle at the bottom of the bag. A buff or armwarmer is just the right size for a cover.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

for this occasion I used a Lidl foam mat to see if it upto the job ( comfort wise no, warmth yes ) - it wasnt the underneath but the top of legs that was cold - not the grounds fault. legs not sticking out. I guess I need a semi sleeping bag that goes up to the waist only. I was testing out ideas how little I could take on my bike ( last time it was a trailer full lol) and still get a good night sleep. if i am to go stealth camping I am not going to put up a tent each night, however small!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Anyone use a hat to increase warmth, particularly when bivying?
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:Anyone use a hat to increase warmth, particularly when bivying?

yes very imporant one that can be rolled down over the eyes and back of head - dont need to be expensive, I got mine from 99p store - bobble hat type thing with out the bobble - what do u call them? My head was nice and warm. just my feet and legs not. A balacava would be good where do u get them these days ? some motor cyclists use them I think under helmet. I also had a nice long scarf wrapped around neck - a Doctor Who type one. That did a good job. My top layer was an old motor cyclejacket inner coat - very thin and light - I would like to know what it was made of as it did a grand job of keeping upper body warm, I use it on cold days as an outer jacket and never feel the cold or any cold winds.
nez

Post by nez »

Re the cold feet. I have a pair of down tent booties. They don't weigh much and they are very warm.