decathlon blow up sleeping mat?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Vantage

Re: decathlon blow up sleeping mat?

Postby Vantage » 25 Jul 2015, 1:25pm

I bought one myself the other day and tried it camping last night.
Very comfortable and seemed to protect from the cold ground. Blowing it up wasn't particularly difficult and it was very light compared to my old Lichfield and especially the cumbersome Ultrasport one. Bit more pricy than both my older ones but definitely worth every penny.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

gloomyandy

Postby gloomyandy » 27 Jul 2015, 6:52pm

No idea about this particular mat, but I love my synmat. Has kept me very comfy and warm even when camping on frozen ground. Much, much better than my old therarest self inflating mat. I also have the chair kit for mine and I really like that. Makes it possible to sit up in the tent to read etc. which on wet days can be a real plus. The chair kit also provides additional protection for the mat (though it does make it more bulky to pack) and provides a pocket that can be used to form a pillow. One slight downside is that I found the mat could be a bit on the noisy side (when you turn over etc.), the chair kit cover seems to help with that as well!

cjs

Postby cjs » 27 Jul 2015, 7:04pm

After the complete and total failure of an expensive EXPED UL7 XLI considered this mat for some time, even lying down for 30 minutes on the floor in decathlon...

A nice mat, reasonable comfort and an excellent price and guarantee. I value Decathalons guarantee very much... no quibble... sorted... and I've used it several times on windsurfing kit that was extensively used...

This mat was just bit neat in size for me, I'm tall and very broad so went for a Thermarest XL mat that was thicker and much wider and a lot, lot more expensive.
Kind Regards
Chris...

andymiller

Postby andymiller » 9 Aug 2015, 2:42pm

I've avoided blow-up mats after a couple failed on me (one an Exped) after 3-4 months of use most nights.

I saw one of those yesterday and I was thinking 'if Decathlon sell them then maybe the technology has matured ...'.

I wasn't tempted to spend half an hour lying on the floor but then again maybe next time...

Barrenfluffit

Postby Barrenfluffit » 10 Aug 2015, 11:39am

It should be possible to convert an old inner tube into an adapter for a blow up mat. Use the valve to connect to the pump, stretch on open cut off end over the mat's valve and seal the other end. It won't be quick though.