camping pet hates

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
robing

Re: camping pet hates

Post by robing »

simonineaston wrote:reading all these posts makes we wonder why we do it...

Well I guess there are more positives, just having a lot of bad luck at the moment. On the plus side you have total freedom particularly if you wild camp, there are some beautiful locations and often much quieter than some hotels, pensions etc which can be noisy.
maff1977

Post by maff1977 »

Ice cold shower water EVEN THOUGH YOU PUT A POUND IN THE MACHINE :x

here's looking at you campsite in Nomansland, Devon. :mrgreen:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Not so much pet hate as worst experiences.

Near Paris. The w.c. had stopped flushing some time ago but people had carried on using it. The pyramid was higher than the rim.

Luss, Lomondside, Glasgow Fair weekend. Drinking parties with uncouth Scottish arguments developing into pursuits around the campsite with yelling of what sounded to this Saxon like dire threats of violence. I cowered in my tent.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
syklist

Post by syklist »

pedalsheep wrote:People who pitch their tent right next to yours when they have acres of space to choose from.

Indeed, this happened to us once upon a time in Halden. Ours is the green tent in the foreground.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kids
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

late arrivals
car headlights left on
driving onto 'no car' areas

had all of these on one night in Austria!

uneven pitches
stony pitches

I've even had sites where they've put granite chips down so you can't peg properly and risk damaging tent floors/air beds.

tents placed in the 'quiet' area - ie as far away from the facilities as they can put you whilst placing caravans/campers right next to said facilities.

paying per pitch so i pay the same for my tiddly tent as a great big caravan/awning and family of 6!

and yeah - people pitching too close and stupidly - i once returned to my tent to find i couldn't reach it as it was now surrounded I had to move (there was plenty of space but i'd picked a nice spot)

The campsites get away with some of this stuff because no one wants to be seen as complaining but with the pitching in particular there are safety issues. One reason i try to use ACSI registered sites is that they are keen on the safety stuff and there is a voice for reviews that can affect the sites standing.

On the whole though i enjoy camping and don't often have issues.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Si wrote:And another - having your tent invaded by a rather loud peacock.....having one of them screech in your ear at 4 in the morning is not a good way to start the day!

:lol: You weren't by any chance at this Isle of Wight site? I was chased by the pesky things for three days :shock: .
Attachments
rsz_1rsz_p1010673.jpg
rsz_1rsz_p1010673.jpg (27.07 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Slow Loris wrote:
Si wrote:And another - having your tent invaded by a rather loud peacock.....having one of them screech in your ear at 4 in the morning is not a good way to start the day!

:lol: You weren't by any chance at this Isle of Wight site? I was chased by the pesky things for three days :shock: .

Is that Stoat's Farm campsite?...b
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

It was Calbourne Mill. A nice site, bar the noisy rooks and peacocks! Stoats Farm is on my list for next time round. Lovely pub opposite.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Slow Loris wrote:It was Calbourne Mill. A nice site, bar the noisy rooks and peacocks! Stoats Farm is on my list for next time round. Lovely pub opposite.

The pub near Stoat's farm is great. I tried it. Good beer and they made a starter into a main course for me (squid) Lovely chef/owner and staff.

I visited the campsite but wasn't impressed so I cycled back to Compton Farm. Cracking site...b
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Many thanks for this - Compton Farm site duly noted! It looks better than the two sites I stayed at. My second was Heathfield Farm which had luke-warm showers that didn't run for very long - grrr. This thread is turning into the camping equivalent of radio 4's You and Yours :mrgreen:
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Booking into a campsite and not being told that for the showers you need a special token
robing

Post by robing »

psmiffy wrote:Booking into a campsite and not being told that for the showers you need a special token

which then runs out mid shower when you are still covered in lather.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Women's toilets :shock: :( :shock: You don't know fear,horror and nausea untill you have ventured into a women's toilet and bathroom. I wont go into detail, but it would make Norman Bates bathroom routine look hygienic.

We didn't stay. Packed up and went home.
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

robing wrote:
psmiffy wrote:Booking into a campsite and not being told that for the showers you need a special token

which then runs out mid shower when you are still covered in lather.

You learn very fast to - a) the art of showering very quickly b) to stockpile jeton :)