camping pet hates

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
robing

camping pet hates

Post by robing »

What things really get on your nerves when camping? I hate really late arrivals. Just when you think you've got a nice quiet spot a group turns up late with noisy kids!

Also campsites that provide no toilet paper or paper towels and some even no hot water from the taps!
simonineaston

Re: camping pet hates

Post by simonineaston »

Sloping pitches...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Si

Post by Si »

Noise from other campers.

Mice under the tent.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Si wrote:Mice under the tent.
:lol:
I was at the campsite overlooking St Malo the other month and retired early and left the front unzipped. Woke up when a squirrel tried to get in my sleeping bag with me... must have that animal magnetism!! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Slugs and Snails.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
motty

Post by motty »

Mossies
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Hyaenas
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

How you lie inside your tent and it sounds like it's chucking it down outside and you put off going for a pee.... Hours go by and the rain sounds awful.... Eventually you need to give in and get up only to find the rain is a mere drizzle. But just sounds worse than it is on the tent :)
using hovercraft full of eels.
hamster

Post by hamster »

cheesypeeps wrote:How you lie inside your tent and it sounds like it's chucking it down outside and you put off going for a pee.... Hours go by and the rain sounds awful.... Eventually you need to give in and get up only to find the rain is a mere drizzle. But just sounds worse than it is on the tent :)

+1.

Also I have had ducks drink my tea (I only put the mug down for a moment; they backwash loads of grass :shock: ). Hedgehogs make an amazing amount of noise too!

Probably worst of all is somewhere with pine trees. There is always one small cone that ends up under the groundsheet...
robing

Post by robing »

Last night was my worst night ever. Gale force winds start around 11pm. I move the tent to a more sheltered positio, no difference. End up having to dismantle it and take everything inside and tried to sleep in the laundry room. But then developed stomach cramps and diarrhoea :-( oh and a tom cat got in and peed on something. Now one of my tent poles is bent. Top that!
PH

Post by PH »

Sliding camper van doors - or more to the point people who somhow find the need to open and close them a dozen times an hour.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

People who pitch their tent right next to yours when they have acres of space to choose from.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

reading all these posts makes we wonder why we do it...
S
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

pedalsheep wrote:People who pitch their tent right next to yours when they have acres of space to choose from.

+1. I had a ridiculous issue in the Lakes years ago where our table, chairs, water, BBQ etc was physically moved off our pitch so their 'spaceship' would fit. I took the 'incomer' to task about his thoughtlessness. His wife was so embarrassed, apologised (unlike him) and made him move the lot by himself. They left the campsite the next morning.

Worse than Hyaenas! (Which is a true story)
Si

Post by Si »

And another - having your tent invaded by a rather loud peacock.....having one of them screech in your ear at 4 in the morning is not a good way to start the day!