camping pet hates

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
robing

Re: camping pet hates

Post by robing »

Tasker wrote:Just wild camp. You'll be spending the night overlooking some of the best views ever. No showers? Just pull into the nearest town, find the swimming pool. Shower and shave or whatever - why you can even have a swim!

Beats me why anyone would willingly get ripped off just to stay in some noisy chav ridden 'campsite' for the dubious assurance they'll be safer.

But of course: respect. ' leave no trace.'

Don't be put off by others that tell you to 'arrive late, leave early'. Bu**er that. You don't have to do that away from towns. Just find the nearest pub festooned with horse brasses, get a pitch within walking distance and you're all set.

There's no adventure without risk

I like this. The chances of someone arriving late and pitching up next to you are virtually zero!
robing

Post by robing »

Being at a campsite that's next to a swamp, so it's mosquito hell. It's so hot at night it's a choice between opening the flap and getting eaten alive or boiling.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonineaston wrote:
Tasker wrote:Just wild camp...
You'll recognise, of course, that people's attitude to risk varies widely.

Not neccesarily risk - personally i like to have a proper shower after a day in the saddle - i'm on holiday not military manouevres! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

foxyrider wrote:
simonineaston wrote:
Tasker wrote:Just wild camp...
You'll recognise, of course, that people's attitude to risk varies widely.

Not neccesarily risk - personally i like to have a proper shower after a day in the saddle - i'm on holiday not military manouevres! :lol:

+1!! This is by quite a large margin my main motivation in using campsites rather than wild camping when cycle touring.
robing

Post by robing »

I would happily pay a reduced fee to a campsite just to use their showers, and go and wild camp somewhere else.

Anyone ever used Muc Off dry shower? I've got some with me this trip but haven't used it yet.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Hoofed animals thumping the ground...............munching and sniffing when they find me.............. :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Hoofed animals thumping the ground...............munching and sniffing when they find me.............. :lol:

I was once woken by that noise, and then saw my tent pushed inwards. I kicked out and heard a snort as the dint disappeared. I stuck my head out and saw another cow pushing and pushing at another tent until the pole broke.
This was an idyllic place by a Pennine stream. The previous evening we watched crayfish crawling on the bottom, and shoals of tiny fish making the water boil when we threw scraps to them.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mike Sales wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

I was once woken by that noise, and then saw my tent pushed inwards. I kicked out and heard a snort as the dint disappeared. I stuck my head out and saw another cow pushing and pushing at another tent until the pole broke.
This was an idyllic place by a Pennine stream. The previous evening we watched crayfish crawling on the bottom, and shoals of tiny fish making the water boil when we threw scraps to them.

Funny that I hardly ever saw a cow on the Pennines (way), but the way tends to follow high ground a lot.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Sliding door on campervans. I'm not sure which is the worst bit: the noise of them sliding open, or anticipating that the owner will then slam them shut as noisily as they can - which they invariably do

The most irritating noisy neighbour I ever had was the guy who sat in his car with 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on repeat. Oh well maybe it was the guys who thought a VW camper in a campsite was a good place to edit an audio track at 3 in the morning ....
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

robing wrote:Anyone ever used Muc Off dry shower? I've got some with me this trip but haven't used it yet.
Water - the universal solvent - where's the water in Muc Off? Eugh... The same industry that brought us deodorant looking to stiff us for some more chemicals-in-a-pot. Try washing!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
robing

Post by robing »

Dogs on campsites. Seen people let their dogs foul anywhere and just let them wander loose.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Lights. The ones which shine into your tent and keep you awake. I once stayed in an otherwise lovely site which had blazing lights, so I told them that I liked the site but the lights would mean I wouldn't be back, and they said rather sorrowfully that the caravanners wanted more lights...
A couple of days ago I had to hang my towel over my tent inner to get some respite. Just 'cos people don't want to take a torch with them if they need the loo in the night, or imagine the man with the axe is out there...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

When you book not told of any issues for the weekend.

Get there and see signs that noise will not be tolerated after 10.00.

Then a wedding party starts, two big white marquees. All permitted by campsite owners.

The 80s disco music only stopped at 10.30pm.

So owners to obey their own rules and should have told me when I booked as I would not have booked.

Ruined my weekend.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Slowroad wrote:Lights. The ones which shine into your tent and keep you awake. I once stayed in an otherwise lovely site which had blazing lights, so I told them that I liked the site but the lights would mean I wouldn't be back, and they said rather sorrowfully that the caravanners wanted more lights...
A couple of days ago I had to hang my towel over my tent inner to get some respite. Just 'cos people don't want to take a torch with them if they need the loo in the night, or imagine the man with the axe is out there...

I like to sleep with a bit of light. My wife doesn't. You can't please everyone. I hate noise after about 11pm. I deliberately choose that late hour because if I decided I hated noise after, say, 9pm I would always be stressed and resentful. So I tell myself that I am a tolerant person who is comfortable with moderate noise up to about 11. After that my inner Victor Meldrew emerges (no exaggeration).
robing

Post by robing »

Re noise and light. Wild camping solves these problems!