Friesian island camping

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foxyrider

Friesian island camping

Post by foxyrider »

I'll be doing overnights on several of the German Friesian islands in August this year, has anyone any tips re weather, stuff to see, ferries etc? I shall be doing Borkum, Norderney, Pellworm, Amrun and Sylt.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Slowroad

Re: Friesian island camping

Post by Slowroad »

How did it go? Would be interested to hear!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

i'll put something up as soon as i get time :D
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
merrymac

Post by merrymac »

Hi Foxy rider

Did you ever find the time to do a write up? I'm Friesien island hopping at the moment and will be on Sylt next week
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

merrymac wrote:Hi Foxy rider

Did you ever find the time to do a write up? I'm Friesien island hopping at the moment and will be on Sylt next week

The trouble with 'free time' is that it doesn't stay free for long! My trip did get covered in my annual cycling 'report' for 2015 but I didn't get as far as doing a shorter synopsis.

I got the ferry from Amrun to Sylt and camped mid island, not where i'd planned but there are a few camp grounds to choose from. There are some interesting things to see on the island, the key thing to know is that its where Germany's rich and 'want to be' famous like to hang so accommodation and restaurants can be quite pricey. There are few roads on the island, the main drag from tip to tip and an 'arm' towards the eastern edge - of course there are a few other lanes in the central area but they are supplemented by some good quality cycle paths through the dunes and so on. Having arrived in the south, I departed north, taking the short car ferry ride to Denmark to continue my trip.

Have fun :D