Mallet?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
F70100

Mallet?

Postby F70100 » 16 Jul 2015, 10:13pm

I did my first cycle camping trip last night (just down the road to the White Horse at Edwardstone). Twas a very pleasant trip as the pub also has its own brewery :D

When pitching my banshee, I struggled to get the pegs in as the ground was quite hard. Notwithstanding the fact that the pegs are quite soft and seemed to want to bend as soon as i looked at them, can anyone suggest a method to get 'em in short of carrying a mallet or walking a mile to find a suitable stone/brick?

irc

Re: Mallet?

Postby irc » 16 Jul 2015, 10:35pm

F70100 wrote:When pitching my banshee, I struggled to get the pegs in as the ground was quite hard. Notwithstanding the fact that the pegs are quite soft and seemed to want to bend as soon as i looked at them,

Get better pegs.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/y-beams-xl

Short of finding a rock a PVC T piece can be used to allow more weight on the peg when pushing into the ground.

http://gossamergear.com/wp/homemade-peg-pusher

gottogetfit

Postby gottogetfit » 17 Jul 2015, 7:18am

I have just bought a light weight mallet from Wilko's for £2. Worth a try I Thought & its for backpacking.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 17 Jul 2015, 10:35am

Am sympathetic to your plight - of course, pegs sharp & narrow enough to go in the ground readily have less holding power than big fat pegs which are much harder to get into the ground... lurking in the back of my mind is the idea of creating a mallet from the dense-ist thing we generally carry (water) but I haven't worked out how to do it yet! :roll:
A litre of water weighs a kilogramme, so there's the potential there to have a 'two pound lump hammer' with you for when you need it, if only I could figure out how to make that water hard enough to bash pegs into the ground...
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 17 Jul 2015, 10:50am

Inflatable hammer?
Have we got time for another cuppa?

PH

Postby PH » 17 Jul 2015, 11:38am

I like to carry a mix of pegs, worked out that although my tent uses 14 pegs it can go up with 4 so I have 4 Y section, 4 large pin pegs, and still carry the original thin ti pegs. Which goes where depends on ground conditions and weather. I also have a sturdy steel pin peg which I found on a site, in the toughest of grounds I use it to make a hole to get another peg started. I've never felt I needed a mallet.

PH

Postby PH » 17 Jul 2015, 11:40am

irc wrote:Short of finding a rock a PVC T piece can be used to allow more weight on the peg when pushing into the ground.

http://gossamergear.com/wp/homemade-peg-pusher

That's clever and big enough to get your foot on once the peg is started.

F70100

Postby F70100 » 17 Jul 2015, 12:44pm

Thanks for the replies folks - looks like a mix of pegs is my next move. I've got a steel rock peg that I can spare from my caravan awning (will use it to make a pilot hole as described above) and some plastic pegs that came with the awning that never get used.

Next trip in a couple of weeks hopefully!

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 17 Jul 2015, 3:14pm

F70100 wrote:I did my first cycle camping trip last night (just down the road to the White Horse at Edwardstone). Twas a very pleasant trip as the pub also has its own brewery :D

When pitching my banshee, I struggled to get the pegs in as the ground was quite hard. Notwithstanding the fact that the pegs are quite soft and seemed to want to bend as soon as i looked at them, can anyone suggest a method to get 'em in short of carrying a mallet or walking a mile to find a suitable stone/brick?

In my day we didnt call it a "cycle camping trip" but a pub crawl :lol:

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 17 Jul 2015, 3:35pm

just take a mallet - even a proper rubber head job is only @ 300g!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

dakari-mane

Postby dakari-mane » 17 Jul 2015, 4:04pm

I got titanium pegs to avoid the bending. As to banging them in I use the spare spd cover from my SPD walking boots held in my palm & just lean on it. Pretty sure with 90+KG behind a titanium spike I could pitch my tent on a plate of steel.

andymiller

Postby andymiller » 17 Jul 2015, 4:33pm

One of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camping-Stake-P ... B00BJFCDAK

I haven't used this particular one, but I wouldn't be without a plastic mallet. I know they look like a toy, but they are surprisingly effective even on the hardest ground - and I have spent a lot of time camping in Italy where campsites often have hard/stony or very dry ground. In one campsite in Sicily the owner helpfully offered to lend me a club hammer and some six-inch nails - but just as an experiment I tried the plastic hammer plus nail titanium nail pegs and that did the job.

Tap, tap, tap (repeat appropriate number of times) and I have my tent up while other people are still arsing around looking for a stone.

The AlpKit pegs Y-shaped pegs look good - I use the Clam Cleats version - almost unbreakable (I did manage to break one once).

V-shaped pegs are inherently weaker than y-shaped pegs - I've bent and broken v-shaped titanium pegs. Go for titanium nail pegs instead

F70100

Postby F70100 » 17 Jul 2015, 6:19pm

mercalia wrote:
In my day we didnt call it a "cycle camping trip" but a pub crawl :lol:

I have succumbed to marketing hype - sorry guv...

andymiller wrote:One of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camping-Stake-P ... B00BJFCDAK

I haven't used this particular one, but I wouldn't be without a plastic mallet. I know they look like a toy, but they are surprisingly effective even on the hardest ground - and I have spent a lot of time camping in Italy where campsites often have hard/stony or very dry ground. In one campsite in Sicily the owner helpfully offered to lend me a club hammer and some six-inch nails - but just as an experiment I tried the plastic hammer plus nail titanium nail pegs and that did the job.

Tap, tap, tap (repeat appropriate number of times) and I have my tent up while other people are still arsing around looking for a stone.

The AlpKit pegs Y-shaped pegs look good - I use the Clam Cleats version - almost unbreakable (I did manage to break one once).

V-shaped pegs are inherently weaker than y-shaped pegs - I've bent and broken v-shaped titanium pegs. Go for titanium nail pegs instead

Think I'll have a trip to my local Wilkos: http://www.wilko.com/camping-equipment-and-essentials/wilko-plastic-mallet-with-peg-pull/invt/0299794

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 17 Jul 2015, 10:08pm

That looks like my Pegisu (Peggy Sue, get it?) which I have to say hasn't enough head weight for hard ground but should be just fine for proper grassland and stuff like my NSC trip where you are pegging into sandy ground. Often you don't need any help. Pegs should go in at @ 45 degrees for best grip of course.
V pegs are best for looser materials, thin skewers are just fine in proper soil so on most UK trips they'll work okay. You will damage pegs, i've bent V's and my last alpine trip every one of my Ti skewers got bent.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

drossall

Postby drossall » 19 Jul 2015, 12:31am

I tend to take the view that the normal pegs that come with tents will bend if you hit them. If I can't put them in by hand, a mallet probably won't help. Does mean being prepared to push fairly hard with the butt of the hand, and accept some discomfort in doing so. Moving the peg a bit will often find the way past the offending stone.

In really hard ground, you need some of the various more substantial pegs that are meant to be hit.