Which chair for the campsite

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Therealsouthstander

Which chair for the campsite

Post by Therealsouthstander »

Can anyone recommend a good lightweight chair that packs down to fit into a pannier.
I'm always jealous when I arrive at the campsite after a long, hard days cycling and people are sitting around there tent in comfy looking chairs..

Many thanks for any help
al_yrpal

Re: Which chair for the campsite

Post by al_yrpal »

I think this is the current favourite. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Foldin ... EHCQCC0AQ1 Its a Helinox copy but they are £85 odd

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
dandru

Post by dandru »

I've got two, the Alite Mantis and Helinox Ground Chair. Don't think of them as just a camping chair, I use mine for day walks and rides, free concerts in parks, anywhere you need a seat because they pack up small in fit into a day pack. The Mantis is more comfortable but heavier than the Ground Chair, but easier to cook from because you're up higher whereas the Mantis legs can sink into soft ground. These guys use the Helinox camp chair with great success, they've been on the road for years. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... id=2355302

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Camping-C ... ite-Mantis

http://www.helinox.com.au/ground-chair- ... -chair.php
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cool things all :)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I use the Thermarest trekking chair adapter which you use with your mat. http://www.outbacktrading.co.uk/product ... tAodNy8FRw
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

on a campsite? I use the ever present picnic tables! or in Scandinavia the campers lounge - I'm on holiday not a forced march! Of course at other times the bed mat does the job. All those bed mat conversions will damage that expensive bit of kit. :)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
JBB

Post by JBB »

Alite Mayfly - solid strong and light. However a bit pricey!
johnnyhamster

Post by johnnyhamster »

Last time I camped, I just went to the site bins where I found a good choice of slightly broken chairs that had been dumped by previous visitors.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I use the Alite Mayfly.
This has the advantages that it doesn't sink into soft ground like Helinox-style chairs can, and it's low enough to use inside the tent in case of rain or midges.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Have the Helinox rip-off already noted if I'm feeling like extra luxury, but more usually use a sleep-mat chair conversion. Been using them for years with no obvious problems (except if used by a camp fire it does make an inflatable mat more prone to spark damage... don't ask me how I know that).

I don't find sitting cross-legged comfortable and my foot-arches are so high I can't kneel for any length of time without discomfort, so a little back support is well worth the extra weight and bulk and faff.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
whoof

Post by whoof »

I bought one of these from the Poundshop . Never taken it cycle touring.

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/campin ... wwodfQcOQQ
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

See also the previous camping chair topic

foxyrider wrote:on a campsite? I use the ever present picnic tables!

Does "ever present" mean you always use up-market campsites? :D
JBB

Post by JBB »

andrew_s wrote:I use the Alite Mayfly.
This has the advantages that it doesn't sink into soft ground like Helinox-style chairs can, and it's low enough to use inside the tent in case of rain or midges.

Superb chair - pricey but light and very comfortable.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

andrew_s wrote:
foxyrider wrote:on a campsite? I use the ever present picnic tables!

Does "ever present" mean you always use up-market campsites? :D

Not by any means - I can't think of any site i've used that didn't have at least one example or something similar. In Switzerland they even had rooves.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rannochraider

Post by rannochraider »

Brand new Genuine Helinox chair just advertised for sale on here in bikes and bits etc for sale . :wink: