Frame bag

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
GetoutMore

Frame bag

Post by GetoutMore »

Hello,
Looking at getting a frame bag to replace back panniers for touring.
Am thinking this combined with existing small front panniers plus a roll top bag (alpkit) strapped to back rack would be a good substitute for rear panniers. Which are always a PITA when getting on and off trains.
Any thoughts experience on this?
Must GetoutMore
mercalia

Re: Frame bag

Post by mercalia »

never had any trouble with rear panniers. Frame bags a) wont work if the brake cable is routed over the top of frame b) May make it harder to lift the bike on and off trains, up and down the stairs ( where do u hold it ) It does help to have panniers with QR mechanisms like the last clever Karrimor disc system c) where do u put your water bottles?
Last edited by mercalia on 30 Aug 2015, 2:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

a) frame bags do work irrespective of the cable routing, the frame bag loops are not that tightly applied.
b) grab the bike by the seat tube or downtube, it's not such a big deal in practice (as the bike 'should' be better balanced).

Neither Alpkit nor Apidura bags are waterproof, so you need to wrap everything up inside the bag (annoying if you use the stuff a lot). Having used both I don't think the frame bags are a straight swap alternative. They work when you carry a lot less stuff, and are a funny shape so a lot of things don't fit. Panniers are also great for chucking in additional extras while on your trip (wine, baguettes, etc).

some ideas https://www.flickr.com/photos/mkpaa/sets/72157655872912539
Last edited by FarOeuf on 31 Aug 2015, 11:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

I have a set of porcelain rocket bags on my dummy, with the extended frame I get an extra one in the additional rear triangle space with a large one on the long seat stays
https://instagram.com/p/4W00WxwHkv/
Even with the extra bag space I still need the rear panniers for the camping gear, if you adopt the ultralight bike packing style it's possible but I want a proper tent etc at the end of the day.
With some kit changed and a few compromises I could manage to do overnight trips and perhaps weekenders but you will have to run a very minimal set up, I think the frame bags would be great on short off-road trips I need the space of panniers.
PH

Post by PH »

I've never had a problem getting on and off trains with panniers. I can't imagine why anyone would unless they're really big and if they are then the contents are unlikely to fit in a frame bag.
kuba

Post by kuba »

I considered frame bags when changing my touring set up earlier this year, but in the end settled for a Gorilla cage which allows me to attach the tent on top of the down tube. I used it alongside two small Ortlieb panniers up front, a Super C saddle bag, and a small Alpkit top tube bag this summer - it worked out well. Getting the Gorilla thingy was way cheaper than a frame bag, at about £20. Plus, everything is easy to access and I still have two bottle cages. I love how the bike handles without rear panniers and I seem to be riding faster too, though cannot make a direct comparison.