Exped Synmat Delamination

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
granville2

Re: Exped Synmat Delamination

Postby granville2 » 14 Sep 2015, 11:38pm

In 2013, I had an Exped UL7 start to "delaminate" after only 2 weeks used, it was getting worse for the next couple of weeks before I got it replaced under warranty. I considered a number of options for a replacement as the dealer would let me have price off any mat they had in store, I end up getting a UL9, a bit heavier and bulkier than the UL7 but still a lot smaller and lighter than most of the options. One thing I was concerned about was that I had been sitting on the end of the mat whilst cooking and eating etc in the entrance to the tent, I was pretty much sitting on the ground but there was some cushioning, the valves were at this end of the mat and I thought I may have been pressing them into the joints in the fabric where the delamination started. The dealer thought this should not be a problem.

The UL9 has now been used for a total of 11 weeks and is doing fine. I have continued to sit on the end of the UL9, but I turn it around in the tent after inflating it so I am no longer sitting on the the valves.

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 17 Sep 2015, 10:59pm

Here is my Synmat UL7 with the delamination problem - currently awaiting replacement under warranty
Image Attachments
image.jpg
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

PH

Postby PH » 17 Sep 2015, 11:08pm

bikes4two wrote:Here is my Synmat UL7 with the delamination problem - currently awaiting replacement under warranty

Good luck with that, I understood the warranty on the UL was only 2 years.

4wils

Postby 4wils » 18 Sep 2015, 3:18pm

De-lamination is not just a problem with the UL versions.
We have had two Downmats delaminate.
Very frustrating as the down then clogs the deflate valve making it very difficult to collapse the mat and the tent fills with down.
A couple camping next to us asked if we had had chicken for supper the night before as clouds of down blew across their pitch as we packed up!
We put it down to the temperature - hot days with inflated mats in the tent. We now make sure to deflate the mats if we are leaving them in the tent.
Exped are very generous with their warranty, ours were out of warranty but they did not quibble- just replaced them.

syklist

Postby syklist » 20 Sep 2015, 9:52am

PH wrote:
bikes4two wrote:Here is my Synmat UL7 with the delamination problem - currently awaiting replacement under warranty

Ours went after less than two weeks of use, but I think you would have a good case even out of warranty period. It appears to be a known fault with these mats.
So long and thanks for all the fish...

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 23 Sep 2015, 2:01pm

PH wrote:

Funnily enough, I had an inkling that the warranty for UL mats was only two years too, but on visiting their website recently I couldn't find anything about warranty periods, so I contacted the supplier/retailer anyway.

The retailer offered me a refund or replacement but I like these mats and as I write, I am looking at my brand new mat which was delivered a moment ago and supplied F-O-C.

So a great warranty and functionally a very nice mat but with the delamination weakness. Clearly Exped are keen to preserve their reputation as best they can and of course for every defective product we (as consumers) return to them, then (hopefully) their QA improves :roll:
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

PH

Postby PH » 23 Sep 2015, 3:08pm

Either Exped have changed the terms or you were lucky with the retailer, last year I got nothing for my faulty three year old mat :(

syklist

Postby syklist » 27 Sep 2015, 10:45am

We've just been told that ours will be replaced under warranty. Which is what we expected as we bought it in late spring and it failed after two weeks use this summer. We've also had a number of Exped mats replace under guarantee since we bought our first ones in 2008. Mrs Syklist is on her third DownMat 9 (the big one) and I am on my second one. With this mat replaced under warranty it means we will have paid for three mats and received 6 (so far). We were allowed to keep Mrs Syklist's previous DownMat 9 which was leaking down when deflating. We keep it inflated permenantly and use it in the summer in the garden. So we still have the use of four of the three mats we have paid for. :)

Correction our SynMat is not a UL just a standard 7M. So it is clearly not just a problem with the UL range.
So long and thanks for all the fish...

bohrsatom

Postby bohrsatom » 5 Oct 2015, 10:12pm

Last year my UL7 (LW) delaminated after about 2.5 months of almost-nightly usage. The replacement that I managed to get whilst on the road lasted a little over two weeks. My girlfriend's lasted 3 months.

I have nothing bad to say about Exped service, who in Germany were able to ship a mat to an outdoor store I was going to be passing in a few days time, but it was an awful hassle as we had to do the same thing a couple of weeks later when my g/f's mat suffered the same fate. When I got back to the UK the original retailer gave me a full refund for my mat.

I don't think they are very well made given the price but they are so much more comfortable than a self-inflating mat!

b1ke

Postby b1ke » 9 Oct 2015, 11:28am

I've had two Therm-a-Rests delaminate, both replaced under warranty and both were heavier self-inflating mats. I've now got a lightweight version which is holding up fine at the moment. The other two went after approx 4 years of very regular use.

http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....