Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

thirdcrank
Posts: 26203
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Jun 2018, 2:37pm

Think yourselves lucky you only get one copy of the mag. :wink:

Psamathe
Posts: 8687
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby Psamathe » 14 Jun 2018, 5:12pm

thirdcrank wrote:Think yourselves lucky you only get one copy of the mag. :wink:

Back in the days I was a member I found the magazine wastes no more than 5 mins every couple of months. If I'd been asked to pay 50p per issue I would have chosen to spend my 50p on something else.

Ian

User avatar
geomannie
Posts: 408
Joined: 13 May 2009, 6:07pm

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby geomannie » 14 Jun 2018, 5:28pm

Psamathe wrote:
geomannie wrote:Ian,

I respectfully disagree. While cost is an issue, its a side issue. Is my wife a full CUK or not? The joint membership does not make her feel like it.

Many organisations offer joint memebership discounts. Many organisation are still able to offer individual membership cards. Why are CUK so hopeless on this?

Why should your wife (and yourself) pay less than a single person? If you pay less why are you unhappy with getting less?

Ian

Its about membership. You either are a member of a club and get the member benefits, or you are not. CUK seems to have created a halfway house.
geomannie

Psamathe
Posts: 8687
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby Psamathe » 14 Jun 2018, 5:33pm

geomannie wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
geomannie wrote:Ian,

I respectfully disagree. While cost is an issue, its a side issue. Is my wife a full CUK or not? The joint membership does not make her feel like it.

Many organisations offer joint memebership discounts. Many organisation are still able to offer individual membership cards. Why are CUK so hopeless on this?

Why should your wife (and yourself) pay less than a single person? If you pay less why are you unhappy with getting less?

Ian

Its about membership. You either are a member of a club and get the member benefits, or you are not. CUK seems to have created a halfway house.

That does not address why a couple (under joint membership) pay less than a single person but seem to expect the same benefits (or to cherry pick what benefits they do get). Pay a reduced rate and get reduced benefits - makes sense to me.

Ian

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 12834
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby gaz » 14 Jun 2018, 8:59pm

Psamathe wrote:Pay a reduced rate and get reduced benefits - makes sense to me.

On which basis over 65's, under 18's and the unwaged would get reduced benefits.

Currently only affiliated members get fewer benefits in return for their discount.

Psamathe
Posts: 8687
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby Psamathe » 14 Jun 2018, 9:06pm

gaz wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Pay a reduced rate and get reduced benefits - makes sense to me.

On which basis over 65's, under 18's and the unwaged would get reduced benefits.

Currently only affiliated members get fewer benefits in return for their discount.

Back when I was a member I didn't start threads accusing CTC of discriminating against certain groups. I accepted being discriminated against as I was on a reduced subscription. I didn't even regard it as being discriminated against.

Although interestingly I've started noticing more such organisations are stopping under 18's, unwaged and pensioners reduced subscriptions. My British Canoeing membership has no such reduced fees membership options.

Ian

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 12834
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby gaz » 14 Jun 2018, 10:28pm

Psamathe wrote:My British Canoeing membership has no such reduced fees membership options.

I believe you are mistaken.

Psamathe
Posts: 8687
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby Psamathe » 14 Jun 2018, 10:57pm

gaz wrote:
Psamathe wrote:My British Canoeing membership has no such reduced fees membership options.

I believe you are mistaken.

You are right, I am mistaken (I've not renewed since the new membership scheme came into effect). But no "unwaged" or "retired" option.

BUT, I suspect Joint/Family membership may be treated as a single membership (single membership number) and most "full" members join only because of the included waterways license (only reason I'm a member) so the benefits become somewhat more complex (i.e. you get something real and expensive bundled in in my case my BCU membership is only a few £ more expensive that buying a Broads Waterways Licence. BUT, I might be wrong because their web site seems particularly vague, BUT BCU have a bit of a reputation of being a "rip-off" (e.g. their insurance is significantly more expensive than commercially available through other agents).

Ian

Psamathe
Posts: 8687
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby Psamathe » 14 Jun 2018, 11:36pm

gaz wrote:
Psamathe wrote:My British Canoeing membership has no such reduced fees membership options.

I believe you are mistaken.

Just checked with a friend about previous scheme and they said a married couple they know have to join as two separate full memberships as they each kayak single person kayaks and thus need two waterways licenses so joint membership would have significant disadvantages. Waterways licenses are only a few £ cheaper than single membership so joint with only one waterways license is poor value for many. But this is 3rd hand as I don't have joint membership so it's thus indirect.

Ian

LollyKat
Posts: 2601
Joined: 28 May 2011, 11:25pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby LollyKat » 15 Jul 2018, 2:25pm

I am experiencing a new twist on an old theme. For years my husband and I had household membership and I put up with the occasionally inconvient lack of a membership card of my own. Once we were both over 65 it was cheaper to get two individual "senior"* memberships - now we get two magazines delivered to the same address but I still don't have a membership card! :shock: :evil:

*I presume this discounted rate still exists but it is not specifically mentioned on the membership page - it only gives the fee for an "Individual in employment between the ages of 18 and up to 64 years." Maybe we're too old to join at all now. :lol:

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 12834
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby gaz » 15 Jul 2018, 4:08pm

LollyKat wrote:*I presume this discounted rate still exists but it is not specifically mentioned on the membership page - it only gives the fee for an "Individual in employment between the ages of 18 and up to 64 years." Maybe we're too old to join at all now. :lol:

Senior rate is still on the page: https://www.cyclinguk.org/join
Membership.png
Individual - Senior

LollyKat
Posts: 2601
Joined: 28 May 2011, 11:25pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby LollyKat » 15 Jul 2018, 5:47pm

Thanks - I was looking at that page and thought I had got to the bottom of it but obviously didn't scroll down far enough. :)

brynpoeth
Posts: 5309
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby brynpoeth » 15 Jul 2018, 5:54pm

Is life membership still available?
Proud and smug to report that I am a life member of the YHA, GBP 50 about 35 years ago :wink:
Alternative facts welcome
......
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott