Cycling UK conference and agm

vat1666firerates1
Posts: 21
Joined: 15 Mar 2019, 7:11pm

Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby vat1666firerates1 » 28 May 2019, 10:17am

Not long to go before the volunteers conference and agm I am looking forward to hears report of the progress and new ideas how to get the UK cycling.

Is anybody else going?

User avatar
Lance Dopestrong
Posts: 1227
Joined: 18 Sep 2014, 1:52pm

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 28 May 2019, 10:34am

Niet.
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.

AndyK
Posts: 776
Joined: 17 Aug 2007, 2:08pm

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby AndyK » 28 May 2019, 2:22pm

I'll be there.
Andy (Cycling UK trustee)

Details here, by the way: https://www.cyclinguk.org/event/cycling ... ation-2019

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13516
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby gaz » 28 May 2019, 6:58pm

I shall be attending (by proxy :wink: ) in accordance with article 12.1.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

PH
Posts: 6919
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby PH » 28 May 2019, 7:18pm

Does anyone know if this is in addition to the Autumn get together that's been run for the last few years (Under several names) or instead of? I've attended and enjoyed all the Autumn ones which have been making their way North - Warwick>Birmingham>Manchester>Harrogate. If this is the only one this year I might try and go, though a trip to London doesn't have the appeal of the other venues.
I'm glad better use is being made of the AGM venue, it does otherwise seem a bit of a waste as the vast majority of votes have already been cast.

loch eck steve
Posts: 259
Joined: 4 Oct 2015, 1:32pm
Location: Argyll

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby loch eck steve » 30 May 2019, 4:39pm

gaz wrote:I shall be attending (by proxy :wink: ) in accordance with article 12.1.

Me too :D

AndyK
Posts: 776
Joined: 17 Aug 2007, 2:08pm

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby AndyK » 31 May 2019, 4:11pm

PH wrote:Does anyone know if this is in addition to the Autumn get together that's been run for the last few years (Under several names) or instead of? I've attended and enjoyed all the Autumn ones which have been making their way North - Warwick>Birmingham>Manchester>Harrogate. If this is the only one this year I might try and go, though a trip to London doesn't have the appeal of the other venues.
I'm glad better use is being made of the AGM venue, it does otherwise seem a bit of a waste as the vast majority of votes have already been cast.

Instead of. The idea was to try combining the conference/celebration thing with the AGM in the hope it would boost AGM attendance; also to save a bit of money of course. The timing of the financial year and the constraints of our constitution limit how much the AGM can be moved in the calendar, so the celebration was shifted earlier. I expect it will be out of London again next year. (For what it's worth, London is a fair city with many attractions - possibly even more than Harrogate. :-))

Steady rider
Posts: 2156
Joined: 4 Jan 2009, 4:31pm

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby Steady rider » 31 May 2019, 9:31pm

https://www.cyclinguk.org/bikeweek

perhaps it could have been a date outside of bike week?

starting at 4.00 pm seems bit late.

AndyK
Posts: 776
Joined: 17 Aug 2007, 2:08pm

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby AndyK » 1 Jun 2019, 7:17pm

Steady rider wrote:https://www.cyclinguk.org/bikeweek

perhaps it could have been a date outside of bike week?

starting at 4.00 pm seems bit late.

It's the final event on the day's agenda - the idea was to get people (members and non-members) to come along for the volunteer day, then those who aren't Cycling UK members can wander off while the members stay on for the AGM. That's the theory anyway.

I agree Bike Week may not be the best time for this: you'd hope that a lot of volunteers would be busy organising their own cycling events.

Steady rider
Posts: 2156
Joined: 4 Jan 2009, 4:31pm

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby Steady rider » 1 Jun 2019, 7:28pm

Yes it starts at 9.30 am, may finish at 6.00 pm, bit of long day perhaps. Not many motions I assume. Probably need to review for next year.

PH
Posts: 6919
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby PH » 1 Jun 2019, 9:41pm

AndyK wrote:Instead of. The idea was to try combining the conference/celebration thing with the AGM in the hope it would boost AGM attendance; also to save a bit of money of course. The timing of the financial year and the constraints of our constitution limit how much the AGM can be moved in the calendar, so the celebration was shifted earlier. I expect it will be out of London again next year. (For what it's worth, London is a fair city with many attractions - possibly even more than Harrogate. :-))

Thanks Andy, I suspected that was the case and it turns out I can't make the date anyway, so that's the end of my unbroken run of comparing free buffets :lol:
I wasn't dissing London, I know what a fine city it is from the amount of time spent there, it just doesn't hold the novelty value of some other venues.
I think it's a good idea to share the AGM venue and costs with something more useful, I've only been to one and other than fulfilling the obligation to have it I really don't know what the point was. People have already voted, the motions have been decided, yet still people queued up to make long passionate speeches as if the few dozen people in the room could change the outcome....

GPC
Posts: 77
Joined: 8 Aug 2008, 8:13am

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby GPC » 11 Jun 2019, 7:05am

Yes, I hope to be there on Saturday.

hellymedic
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Oct 2008, 2:20pm

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Postby hellymedic » 13 Jun 2019, 3:44pm

I hope to be there on Saturday.

I'd like a volunteer to act as my helper, please.

I'm a wheelchair user who lacks arm strength to push myself so I need to be pushed everywhere. I'll need a kind person to meet me at the entrance and push me into meetings, as well as to the toilet, which I don't usually need very often. I can look after myself in the loo so it's just a matter of getting there and out, maybe every 2-3 hours.

I'd also be grateful if someone could grab me refreshments when they are available. I'm not a fussy eater and have no particular dietary needs.

Thanks!

Helen