Cycle Magazine

Bensons

Cycle Magazine

Post by Bensons »

I wondered if it was possible for members to read the whole magazine online rather than the first 16 pages.

If it is and someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
Heltor Chasca

Re: Cycle Magazine

Post by Heltor Chasca »

From what I gather you have to be a full member to get access to this. Is that right? I'm debating joining CTC mainly for the magazine although I'm most likely to read it online. It's a pity this option isn't available. I'm not really after the other benefits.

Can anyone pass judgement on whether joining CTC for the magazine and all the other benefits are worth it?

I think there's an option to go Direct Debit and you get an extra 3 months. Not sure though.
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

We are members Heltor. Nice to support something you are interested - and, in today's litigious world having family public liability insurance for cycling is quite a selling point.

I have never actually seen the magazine, my husband, who works away, squirrels it away in one of his bags to take with him and I always forget to ask him where it is! He likes it though.

Not sure what the other benefits are off the top of my head, yes we pay by DD.

I have recently discovered that my county library service offers an e-magazine reading service. I don't buy magazines but have downloaded some that I might be interested in if I end up stuck somewhere with nothing to read and thought I would try to do the same with this one if it was possible.

The only thing I pay for is the Economist - it is free as an e-mag at the library so I am just about to cancel my subscription!
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

Must add that the first 16 pages are available to non members under the publications tab on the CTC page. I didn't have to log in, but once I did log in I didn't see anything different.
robgul

Post by robgul »

I would venture to suggest that joining CTC just for the magazine would not be value for money - Full membership (that gets the magazine - Affiliates don't) costs about £42 or £28 per year if you're retired/not working - that's a lot each for 6 mags. Sadly the magazine has, in my view, gone downhill in the last couple of years ... it's probably no more than 10-15 minutes before it's in the recycling box beside my desk.

That said - the other cycling magazines aren't up to much either ... lots of obvious "editorial" and "reviews" that are clearly directly influenced by advertisers' spend. Different mags purport to be for different cyclists - MTB, racing etc .... Cycling Plus is probably the most middle of the road for general interest - suggest you buy a copy and think on from there.

As suggested, for your CTC subs you get TP insurance and legal support - that's about all ... in my view most of the other "benefits" like discounts aren't worth anything (that's all been discussed elsewhere at length on this board)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
gaz

Post by gaz »

The on-line copies of Cycle available to all on CTC website are just a few pages of ad free edited highlights.

It's just a teaser, the full copy is only available in printed form and CTC hope that you'll pay your subs in order to enjoy it that way.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

We are members because I met a really lovely group of people on a ride one day, I thought I would love to join them - so we joined as a family.

Most decent home insurance policies would give you third party liability insurance if you checked into it and we never buy magazines.

Cycling mags look to be full of adverts/reviews for 'thneeds' in Lorax terms, and cycling bling, so we wouldn't bother buying those as we are not big consumer types and don't need all the latest gear to get out there. Apparently the magazine is good according to my husband (who I have never known to buy a magazine).

So for me (in particular rather than my husband), I joined so that I could join the local rides.

.... Should have said rather than my husband who I told I had joined the CTC after I did it. I am not sure he would have bothered as he has been riding for 40 years without it.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Heltor Chasca wrote:From what I gather you have to be a full member to get access to this. Is that right? I'm debating joining CTC mainly for the magazine although I'm most likely to read it online. It's a pity this option isn't available. I'm not really after the other benefits.

Can anyone pass judgement on whether joining CTC for the magazine and all the other benefits are worth it?

I think there's an option to go Direct Debit and you get an extra 3 months. Not sure though.

There are benefits Heltor - one is the belonging to what was once described as "This Great Family of Ours". That ethos continues locally for me - we have an active section.

When your question is debated among cycling colleagues, the third party insurance comes near to the top of a list of reasons for remaining a member.

One element which has seen me in good stead several times is the legal cover for us when some motorist hits us, or when road defects cause us pain and suffering........true that the legal eagles who deal with these matters now are a "no-win-no-fee" outfit and not as personal in their approach as in earlier times, but the contact is immediate and it is said that as CTC members we get a bit of something extra. At the moment, courtesy of a New Year present from the driver of a Volvo Estate who drove into me from behind, the legal eagles are dealing with the aftermath of a written off bike and my broken leg - it's not time to finalise this yet, but it's 'so far so good' as far as contacts between us are concerned.

Another major element for me is CTC's campaigning on behalf of cyclists - they have contacts at the highest levels and they quietly make some progress, in a nation of cyclist-haters. CTC's campaigning supremo, Roger Geffen, was awarded an MBE this year. For me, this is one element that makes paying my subs worthwhile.

As for our magazine "Cycle" - if I was to be limited for the rest of my life to just one cycling magazine, that would be my choice.
Last edited by Graham on 29 Oct 2015, 7:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OBE corrected to MBE
Si

Post by Si »

Yes, everyone can pass judgement on this. However as everyone wants slightly different things from memberships and thus values the benefits differently, it doesn't really answer the real question: is joining worth it for YOU?

I guess that the only way to really know is to try it for a year and see. Might be the best thing since sliced bread, or might be a waste of the cost of a reasonable night out.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Si wrote:

Yes, everyone can pass judgement on this. However as everyone wants slightly different things from memberships and thus values the benefits differently, it doesn't really answer the real question: is joining worth it for YOU?

I guess that the only way to really know is to try it for a year and see. Might be the best thing since sliced bread, or might be a waste of the cost of a reasonable night out.

One thought would be to ask if anybody can sell/donate you a couple of their old unwanted back issues so you can "try before you buy". I guess the limited online pages from the magazine are intended to give you a feeling for what it is like. I left (did not renew) at the start this year and never looked at the online pages so have no idea if you do get a good impression. Or phone your local CTC branch and see if they can give or lend you a few issues.

To an extent it might depend how much you are prepared to take a risk on the membership costs; some will find meeting the donation a real struggle whilst others don't think twice. And that might also mean it's not worth the trouble (seeking out copies before joining).

Ian
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

JohnW wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:From what I gather you have to be a full member to get access to this. Is that right? I'm debating joining CTC mainly for the magazine although I'm most likely to read it online. It's a pity this option isn't available. I'm not really after the other benefits.

There are benefits Heltor - one is the belonging to what was once described as "This Great Family of Ours". That ethos continues locally for me - we have an active section.

When your question is debated among cycling colleagues, the third party insurance comes near to the top of a list of reasons for remaining a member.

One element which has seen me in good stead several times is the legal cover for us when some motorist hits us, or when road defects cause us pain and suffering........true that the legal eagles who deal with these matters now are a "no-win-no-fee" outfit and not as personal in their approach as in earlier times, but the contact is immediate and it is said that as CTC members we get a bit of something extra. At the moment, courtesy of a New Year present from the driver of a Volvo Estate who drove into me from behind, the legal eagles are dealing with the aftermath of a written off bike and my broken leg - it's not time to finalise this yet, but it's 'so far so good' as far as contacts between us are concerned.

Another major element for me is CTC's campaigning on behalf of cyclists - they have contacts at the highest levels and they quietly make some progress, in a nation of cyclist-haters. CTC's campaigning supremo, Roger Geffen, was awarded an MBE this year. For me, this is one element that makes paying my subs worthwhile.

As for our magazine "Cycle" - if I was to be limited for the rest of my life to just one cycling magazine, that would be my choice.

A very balanced answer. Thank you. It's nice to 'belong'. Who could put a price on that? I like the idea that CTC is campaigning for the greater good too. I trust you have healed without further complaint. May I recommend comfrey rubbing oil to help? I highly rate it and it has eased my various garden g and sports injuries over the years [emoji263]
Last edited by Graham on 29 Oct 2015, 7:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OBE corrected to MBE
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Si wrote:

Great reply. I don't go out much so I'm sure I can find £40 somewhere! I've got nowt to loose. Thank you.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Psamathe wrote:
Si wrote:

One thought would be to ask if anybody can sell/donate you a couple of their old unwanted back issues so you can "try before you buy". I guess the limited online pages from the magazine are intended to give you a feeling for what it is like. I left (did not renew) at the start this year and never looked at the online pages so have no idea if you do get a good impression. Or phone your local CTC branch and see if they can give or lend you a few issues.

To an extent it might depend how much you are prepared to take a risk on the membership costs; some will find meeting the donation a real struggle whilst others don't think twice. And that might also mean it's not worth the trouble (seeking out copies before joining).

Ian

Brilliant. Not the biggest risk I've taken but I love a dare [emoji48]
Bazza55

Post by Bazza55 »

The magazine and our local Member Group (Sheffield District) are the two main reasons for joining as far as I'm concerned. However has anyone noticed that the latest edition does not carry our treasured winged wheel logo on the front?
gaz

Post by gaz »

April/May 2014 edition was the last to feature the Winged Wheel on the front cover: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=87235
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade