Did you vote in the recent CTC Council election?

Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

If yes, what influence your decision?

If no, what influence your decision?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=93814.0

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9113225 ... nref=story
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Ron

Re: Did you vote in the recent CTC Council election?

Post by Ron »

I can't recall being offered the opportunity to vote :( .
gaz

Post by gaz »

Only a limited number of seats on Council come up for election each year. This time around it was three in the South East, Philip's links suggest there were some uncontested nominations in other Regions.

Full CTC members in the South East region should have received voting papers with the last edition of Cycle and may have received an e-mail prompt too.

To answer Philip, I voted.

My decision was influenced by a strong belief in the importance of exercising my democratic responsibility to choose who represents me on CTC Council.

Voter turnout was low, the percentage of CTC members using the forum is low, I doubt that you'll be able to determine a great deal from any responses (or lack thereof) that you receive to this thread.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your work whilst on Council.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes, for you

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PH

Post by PH »

I hope you're not too despondent Phillip, I'm shocked at the numbers, did you have the opportunity to contact members? I read elsewhere that a member wasn't given candidates contact information when they asked for it, which seems very strange. 170 votes between 8 candidates, there should have been a way to get more interest than that. That 98% didn't consider it worth voting is a lot of ammunition for those who think an elected council isn't required.
There was no vote in the East Midlands, the one available seat was unopposed.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Back in the days when I was a CTC member, I always intended to vote, but always struggled to find anything distinct to distinguish between the candidates.

They all appeared to be worthy people with the best of intentions to do something good for cycling.
But as I knew none of them on a personal level I had no real way of judging "who would be the best" to be my representative.
I admit that I never voted for a councillor over a couple of decades of membership.

I suspect I am not alone.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I voted last time round (to help a RTR/campaiogning collegue get elected).
I left it too late this time round - I assumed there would be online voting, but discovered too late that there was none...
Agree turnout was some what low.
Either members think the council is doing a wonderful job, so no urge to get out of the saddle to vote to change anything, or it does not interest them. Suspect the latter.

Cheers
NickM

Post by NickM »

I voted against the CTC becoming a charity.

Members of the Council are required to advance the aims of the charity. Why would I have any interest in choosing between or endorsing candidates for the Council?
cyclamity

Post by cyclamity »

Councillor Election Results for SE England

Censored by the CTC

Dear Fellow Cyclists,

With the last issue of Cycle some of us received voting papers for 3 trustee councillors to represent, not Members, but the interests of the charity known as the CTC, in SE England (excluding London) from 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2018. After voting had closed, I searched in vain on the CTC website for the results. I therefore started a thread on the CTC Forum asking for news of the results. Phil Benstead was kind enough to reply and gave the results. The outcome is pretty dire. Throughout the whole of SE England, 170 valid ballot papers were received which is 1.83% of eligible voters. He provided a copy of the CTC Returning Officer's Report. I was intending to put a link to this on our club website.

When I tried, I found that, without explanation, the CTC had censored the thread that I had put on the Forum and deleted it, including Phil's reply. It does not now exist. You will not find it. Why? What is so intensely secret about election results? Why must we wait the ludicrously long period of two months for the rubber stamp of the CTC Council before results may be announced in the bi-monthly issue of Cycle magazine? Why not on the website? Why not in CycleClips? Why not NOW? There seems to be no rational reason. The provisional results could be announced, subject to ratification by a full meeting of the Council. Or does the Chairman insist on wielding the authority to overturn a democratic result, however derisory the turnout? For how long do most democracies withold election results?

This post may not survive the cutting room scissors long enough for you to read it.

The odds seem heavily stacked against survival.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

cyclamity wrote:Councillor Election Results for SE England

Censored by the CTC

Dear Fellow Cyclists,

With the last issue of Cycle some of us received voting papers for 3 trustee councillors to represent, not Members, but the interests of the charity known as the CTC, in SE England (excluding London) from 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2018. After voting had closed, I searched in vain on the CTC website for the results. I therefore started a thread on the CTC Forum asking for news of the results. Phil Benstead was kind enough to reply and gave the results. The outcome is pretty dire. Throughout the whole of SE England, 170 valid ballot papers were received which is 1.83% of eligible voters. He provided a copy of the CTC Returning Officer's Report. I was intending to put a link to this on our club website.

When I tried, I found that, without explanation, the CTC had censored the thread that I had put on the Forum and deleted it, including Phil's reply. It does not now exist. You will not find it. Why? What is so intensely secret about election results? Why must we wait the ludicrously long period of two months for the rubber stamp of the CTC Council before results may be announced in the bi-monthly issue of Cycle magazine? Why not on the website? Why not in CycleClips? Why not NOW? There seems to be no rational reason. The provisional results could be announced, subject to ratification by a full meeting of the Council. Or does the Chairman insist on wielding the authority to overturn a democratic result, however derisory the turnout? For how long do most democracies withold election results?

This post may not survive the cutting room scissors long enough for you to read it.

The odds seem heavily stacked against survival.

Use these links to your club website
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=93814.0

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9113225 ... nref=story
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic