CTC Member Benefits

Philip Benstead

CTC Member Benefits

Post by Philip Benstead »

Question

How many of the things below do you value as part of your membership?

What do you think is missing from this list?

Member Benefits

Benefits & special offers for CTC Members
Please note: the below offers and discounts are presented entirely at the discretion of the provider shown. To see the codes, you must be logged in.

CTC members receive £10m 3rd party insurance cover
£10m 3rd party insurance cover
Cycle Magazine
Six Issues of Cycle a Year
CTC Incident Line - Free Cycling Related Legal Advice
CTC training course
CTC maps
Route Infomation
Cyclists Welcome - Where to sleep & eat
CTC group ride
CTC rides & events
CTC CycleCover Travel Insurance 10% discount

15% off at Cotswold Outdoor (logo)
15% off at Cotswold Outdoor
Half price YHA membership
CS Healthcare logo
CS Healthcare's HealthBridge product - first month free
Cycling related legal advice and support
Rider with poppies
CS Healthcare logo
CS Healthcare's your choice product - first 2 months free
15% off YHA accommodation bookings
10% discount on CTC training courses
France en Vélo
20% off 'France en Vélo'
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
gaz

Re: CTC Member Benefits

Post by gaz »

Philip Benstead wrote:What do you think is missing from this list?

CTC Forum

I'm well aware that the forum is open to members and non-members alike. Even so I choose to value it as part of my membership.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
robgul

Post by robgul »

Question : How many of the things below do you value as part of your membership? NONE

The ONLY value WAS the insurance but that, and legal support etc, is included at no cost in my household policy (and I have it in writing from them, separately, about cycling) - they also cover bikes for theft at just 5% of the "member benefit insurance" quote from CTC.

The real joke is Cotswold and its prices ... even with the offered discount they are top of the tree on price.

The Forum is a useful source of information, advice and the opportunity to put something back BUT is not an exclusive CTC thing - whatever name was at the top and it wouldn't matter (q.v. yacf, Cycle Chat etc)

I would add that as of this week I'm no longer a CTC member.

EDIT as an afterthought: A benefit in a different way is the opportunity to ride with lots of friends as part of a formal group - that's been remedied in my case by the disbanding of CTC-Heart of England MG and the formation of Heart of England Cycling Club - where options exist for CTC members or members with their own insurance arrangements

Rob
Last edited by robgul on 26 Nov 2015, 9:18am, edited 1 time in total.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I don't see the discount codes as a benefit at all. Mostly for goods/services which, I'll never use, are still to dear with a discount. As for the YHA discounts, I've tried them and IME they don't apply in Scotland.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gaz

Post by gaz »

YHA only operate in England and Wales. There does not appear to be a "member benefit" involving SYHA.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PH

Post by PH »

Question

£10m 3rd party insurance cover – I’m glad to have it, though wouldn’t have any trouble finding an alternative. In the unlikely event of a claim it may be useful to have a cycling specific policy.
Cycle Magazine – I usually enjoy at least some of it, doubt I’d buy it (Or any other magazine) if it wasn’t included.
CTC Incident Line – The one time I’ve used it the service was very disappointing
CTC training course – Been on a couple and found them well run and useful
CTC maps – Never used them, there’s plenty of free alternatives
Route Information – As above
Cyclists Welcome – I dislike the commercial nature of it, many of the best places won’t pay the subscription
CTC group ride – I ride with the local MG and consider this a major benefit
CTC rides & events – I’ve enjoyed a few in different parts of the country

I haven’t used any of the discounts

What do you think is missing from this list?The 3rd party insurance is accepted by AUK, as a non AUK member entering Audaxs is cheaper

Ride leader insurance, though also available as a member of an affiliated group

Riding with other groups –I can ride with any group anywhere in the country and although each of those groups will be different they will also have a lot in common. If groups decide to go their own way, which there are some good reasons for, I don’t think that similarity will last.

Campaigning - Didn’t this come top in a members survey? It may not be a direct benefit for an individual, but I consider it a benefit to all.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

robgul wrote:...
The real joke is Cotswold and its prices ... even with the offered discount they are top of the tree on price.

I lot of outdoor/sporting organisations offer the same deal. I got it from my BCU membership (never used it as, as you say, Cotswold are so expensive even after the discount ...).

Ian
nez

Post by nez »

I like having the support of the insurance, I like the magazine which is a bit of a throwback in terms of style, and I like contributing a bit to the cycling pressure group. Of course this makes it price sensitive - ask too much and I'll have to wonder about value.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Sorry PH - I'm using your reply as a template as our responses are very similar

Question

£10m 3rd party insurance cover – I’m glad to have it, though wouldn’t have any trouble finding an alternative. In the unlikely event of a claim it may be useful to have a cycling specific policy.
Cycle Magazine – I usually enjoy at least some of it, doubt I’d buy it (Or any other magazine) if it wasn’t included.
CTC Incident Line – Never felt the need to use it
CTC training course – Never had the need for them, but it's good that CTC provide them.
CTC maps – Never used them, there’s plenty of free alternatives
Route Information – As above
Cyclists Welcome – I dislike the commercial nature of it, many of the best places won’t pay the subscription
CTC group ride – It's many, many years since I've ridden with a local group as I'm an anti-social b
CTC rides & events – I’ve enjoyed a few in different parts of the country albeit at least 20 years ago

I haven’t used any of the discounts, and think that they are somewhere between a distraction and misleading

What do you think is missing from this list?The 3rd party insurance is accepted by AUK, as a non AUK member entering Audaxs is cheaper

Heritage : I like the sense of belonging to an organisation that has a significant history and (had) important traditions

Campaigning - It may not be a direct benefit for an individual, but I consider it a benefit to all cyclists
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When I joined (noting tht became very unhappy with the way the employees running NO were doing things and the direction they were pushing so I left)

CTC members receive £10m 3rd party insurance cover - actually a discouragement as my home insurance provided cover and two policies covering same risk adds complexity should a claim be made.
Cycle Magazine - read in less than an hour so not relevant
CTC Incident Line - Free Cycling Related Legal Advice - I did not regard this as any benefit
CTC training course - never used
CTC maps - never used
Route Infomation - never used
Cyclists Welcome - Where to sleep & eat - never used
CTC group ride - never used
CTC rides & events - never used
CTC CycleCover Travel Insurance 10% discount - never used

15% off at Cotswold Outdoor - already had from another sport body but Cotswold too expensive even after discount
Half price YHA membership - no real benefit
CS Healthcare's HealthBridge product - first month free - no benefit
Cycling related legal advice and support - no benefit
Rider with poppies - member benefit ? (whatever it is)
CS Healthcare's your choice product - first 2 months free - ugh
15% off YHA accommodation bookings - not regarded as benefit
10% discount on CTC training courses - not regarded as benefit
France en Vélo - not regarded as benefit
20% off 'France en Vélo' - not regarded as benefit

MISSING FROM LIST
Technical Officer who can offer advice, answer technical questions, white articles for magazine, work on cyclist safety issues, etc. - great benefit, something the CTC should be providing to its MEMBERSHIP.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I value two things (only)

3rd party insurance
forum.ctc.org.uk
Everything else is an irrelevance to me.
Cycle mag arrived earlier this week. It's still in its wrapping.

Missing from the list?
CJ.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I notice the claim "hundreds of shops" has been removed from the web page. [emoji4]

E2E info
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

robgul wrote:.

EDIT as an afterthought: A benefit in a different way is the opportunity to ride with lots of friends as part of a formal group - that's been remedied in my case by the disbanding of CTC-Heart of England MG and the formation of Heart of England Cycling Club - where options exist for CTC members or members with their own insurance arrangements

Rob

in a time before I had kids I rode with the heart of England, I was shocked to see a unanimous vote to leave the ctc...
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Metal8

Post by Metal8 »

Paulatic wrote:I notice the claim "hundreds of shops" has been removed from the web page. [emoji4]

They have this:
"discounts with retailers such as Cotswold Outdoor"

Is there a list of which retailers?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Metal8 wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I notice the claim "hundreds of shops" has been removed from the web page.

They have this:
"discounts with retailers such as Cotswold Outdoor"

Is there a list of which retailers?

There used to be
http://www.cyclinguk.org/files/ctc-shop ... list_0.pdf
On the 7th of April this year I was told they were going to update it within the next two months.
I think they've found it an ambarrasment or they aught to.

E2E info