CTC Member Benefits

Bez

Re: CTC Member Benefits

Post by Bez »

I joined for the third party insurance, I stayed to chip in to the campaigning work (which is admittedly of variable quality, and which is missing from the above list). I've also used the 10% discount at Evans a number of times; is that still a thing? It's not on the list…

The rest of it is of no value to me.
keithb

Post by keithb »

Blimey I've just been to ctc maps and it's a huge resource of routes! I'd forgotten it ever existed. They really should bring it to to date and make it a bit more user friendly (displaying routes on a map?) And that could draw people in.

Thinking back I think it used to be members only when I first joined? Could again be a resource for encouraging people to start cycling or go further? Thinking outside the strava demographic here.

This and cyclists welcome could be great resources and help position CUK at the heart of leisure cycling.
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

keithb wrote:Blimey I've just been to ctc maps and it's a huge resource of routes! I'd forgotten it ever existed. They really should bring it to to date and make it a bit more user friendly (displaying routes on a map?) And that could draw people in.

Thinking back I think it used to be members only when I first joined? Could again be a resource for encouraging people to start cycling or go further? Thinking outside the strava demographic here.

This and cyclists welcome could be great resources and help position CUK at the heart of leisure cycling.

Do you have a link for the maps please? - I couldn't see anything on the site and the search didn't produce any results that helped

Cheers

B1
Riding high!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Si

Post by Si »

They really should bring it to to date

IIRC the routes were mostly put together by the membership so it would be for the membership to update their own routes. But now given the myriad of different mapping tools out there I think many are too busy doing strava, mapmyride, etc etc

I've been playing with the BC mapping tool lately....tis a reasonable tool, but looking at the routes on it - virtually all day rides and no tours.
keithb

Post by keithb »

I was more referring to updating,or "relaunching" of the website, rather than the routes themselves.

on a quick browse of nottinghamshire I noted rides from flat, local 20milers to longer more arduous ones. so the range of rides is quite broad, and could appeal more to the newer, or more leisure orientated cyclist (than the "race/sportive" image BC has).

you could even split the access so routes under, say 25miles were publicly available, but longer/multi-day routes for members only? Give a taster and hope people join later?

I'm pretty sure lots of new, potential and utility cyclists would come to CUK before going hunting elsewhere? or do I have that totally wrong?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Si wrote:I've been playing with the BC mapping tool lately....tis a reasonable tool, but looking at the routes on it - virtually all day rides and no tours.

Not surprising really. A fair chunk of the routes will be route plans for Skyride Local rides (it is the mandatory planning tool for the official route planners).

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, BC made all the Skyride Local routes publicly available recently - link.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Si wrote:IIRC the routes were mostly put together by the membership so it would be for the membership to update their own routes...

In many cases they can't. The on-line mapping tool was switched off some years ago following an upgrade to the underlying google system. You can no longer amend a line you've drawn, nor can you draw any new maps.

I believe you can still add a new route as a set of directions, e.g. Proceed north from Trumpton, at the crossroads turn right towards Pippin Fort, continue for three miles, fork left (sign post Camberwick Green), continue through Chigley ...
Si wrote:But now given the myriad of different mapping tools out there I think many are too busy doing strava, mapmyride, etc etc ...

Which I understand to be the reason for not updating the system. It may also explain why the site has thus far escaped the rebrand :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

belgiangoth wrote:
robgul wrote:.

EDIT as an afterthought: A benefit in a different way is the opportunity to ride with lots of friends as part of a formal group - that's been remedied in my case by the disbanding of CTC-Heart of England MG and the formation of Heart of England Cycling Club - where options exist for CTC members or members with their own insurance arrangements

Rob

in a time before I had kids I rode with the heart of England, I was shocked to see a unanimous vote to leave the ctc...

The only reason I maintain my membership is so I can ride with the local CTC group. Otherwise, I would leave in protest at the constant tinkering with something that was not, IMHO, broken in the first place.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Metal8

Post by Metal8 »

Paulatic wrote:
Metal8 wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I notice the claim "hundreds of shops" has been removed from the web page.

They have this:
"discounts with retailers such as Cotswold Outdoor"

Is there a list of which retailers?

There used to be
http://www.cyclinguk.org/files/ctc-shop ... list_0.pdf
On the 7th of April this year I was told they were going to update it within the next two months.
I think they've found it an ambarrasment or they aught to.

So nobody knows where we would get these "Discounts on bikes, cycling and outdoor leisure products" they speak of?? :)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Despite their promise it's still over 5years old
http://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/ ... t-list.pdf
The promise was made when they were trying to justify my renewal.

E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote:Despite their promise it's still over 5years old
http://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/ ... t-list.pdf
The promise was made when they were trying to justify my renewal.

But it clearly states "Every effort is made to keep this listing up to date but please check with your local dealer prior to visiting to confirm the discounts available." so one assumes that this is an example of the organisation's "every effort" when it comes to helping the members.

Ian
meic

Post by meic »

I imagine, from experience in my local areas, that many of these discounts are arranged locally by the member groups and CUK/CTC national office had no part in or knowledge of them.
Yma o Hyd
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

meic wrote:I imagine, from experience in my local areas, that many of these discounts are arranged locally by the member groups and CUK/CTC national office had no part in or knowledge of them.

They have knowledge of them. They've complied a list. Judging by the dates involved it took eleven days short of a year to publish the said list. Thats how important member benefits must be.
I would have no quarrel with their actions if someone in HO had not told me it was being updated in the 'next two months'. To me it's on a par with BW saying he'd had no injections. I just can't be doing with mealy mouthed statements.

E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote:
meic wrote:I imagine, from experience in my local areas, that many of these discounts are arranged locally by the member groups and CUK/CTC national office had no part in or knowledge of them.
... if someone in HO had not told me it was being updated in the 'next two months'.....

But at least they told you something. That is a lot more success that I had when I was a member (e-mails completely ignored).

Ian