Requesting help from CTC members

SA_SA_SA

Re: Requesting help from CTC members

Postby SA_SA_SA » 8 Dec 2015, 10:57pm

Has the membership dept not been passing on the reasons people give for not renewing since the Technical Officer was removed and the new CEO's policys/style?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

robgul

Postby robgul » 9 Dec 2015, 7:26am

SA_SA_SA wrote:Has the membership dept not been passing on the reasons people give for not renewing since the Technical Officer was removed and the new CEO's policys/style?

When I cancelled - see up-thread - I was asked why ... and told them politely that I thought CTC had lost is way, benefits and value were negligible and the, apparent, governance was not something I was willing to support. Whether that was passed on is of course open to conjecture .. I would suggest it wasn't

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker

Philip Benstead

Postby Philip Benstead » 12 Dec 2015, 7:06am

gaz wrote:CTC trustees are unpaid volunteers. They can claim reasonable expenses. More here: http://www.ctc.org.uk/about-ctc/ctc-nat ... ouncillors

When the CEO role was advertised in 2011 the salary was shown as £70,000pa. I do not have a more up to date figure.

As to who CTC is for, the Charitable Objects are set out in the current Mem and Arts: http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/fil ... ay2012.pdf

CEO gets £81,000 but according to

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... tives.html

Charities set to be forced to be more open about how much they pay their top executives
Charities could be forced to publish details of the salaries paid to top executives to reassure donors about how their money is being spent, according to a former BBC presenter who is leading a review of executive pay among charities
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

gaz

Postby gaz » 12 Dec 2015, 12:00pm

Philip Benstead wrote:... In this way a large number of active and committed CTC members could be reached and who would be likely to have views on the direction of the CTC and would support motion to the AGM on the 9 May 2016

Something like the motion at the 2015 AGM?

5) Proposed by David Wood, seconded by Angela Byrne.
CTC Councillors shall resist any move to change:
-how CTC Councillors are elected by the CTC membership;
-any reduction in Councillor numbers the CTC Charity Trustees status of all CTC Councillors.
-Or to allow Trustees of the CTC charity to be appointed by any means other than direct election by the membership.

Result: 41.1% voted in favour, the Motion was lost. Rather than waiting for the 2016 AGM you might be able to organise a Poll of the Whole Club to consider the motion again :roll: .

As I've mentioned upthread changing the provisions of the current Mem & Arts requires a 75% majority. It's also worth considering that AGM votes are not binding on Council, the Trustees have to act in the best interests of the Charity.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

Philip Benstead

Postby Philip Benstead » 12 Dec 2015, 4:24pm

gaz wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:... In this way a large number of active and committed CTC members could be reached and who would be likely to have views on the direction of the CTC and would support motion to the AGM on the 9 May 2016

Something like the motion at the 2015 AGM?

5) Proposed by David Wood, seconded by Angela Byrne.
CTC Councillors shall resist any move to change:
-how CTC Councillors are elected by the CTC membership;
-any reduction in Councillor numbers the CTC Charity Trustees status of all CTC Councillors.
-Or to allow Trustees of the CTC charity to be appointed by any means other than direct election by the membership.

Result: 41.1% voted in favour, the Motion was lost. Rather than waiting for the 2016 AGM you might be able to organise a Poll of the Whole Club to consider the motion again :roll: .

As I've mentioned upthread changing the provisions of the current Mem & Arts requires a 75% majority. It's also worth considering that AGM votes are not binding on Council, the Trustees have to act in the best interests of the Charity.

CTC HQ control all the levers of communication so it is difficult to put your point of view to the entire membership, that is why i am trying to create email list to pass on information.
What is in the best interest of the CTC, it comes down to a matter of opinion in the end.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 12 Dec 2015, 5:21pm

Philip Benstead wrote:...CTC HQ control all the levers of communication so it is difficult to put your point of view to the entire membership, that is why i am trying to create email list to pass on information.
What is in the best interest of the CTC, it comes down to a matter of opinion in the end.

If CTC employees have and wont release or use the e-mail list for anything it they don't like then anything else has to be a "best efforts" to raise issues with as many as possible. Not a user myself but what about a Facebook account "CTC Councillors" (where you can allow all CTC Councillors to have their say, whatever their stance on issues - set some rules e.g. no more than <number> of posts per month or whatever is appropriate to allow Councillors to voice opinions or disagreements with opinions but not to flood the account). i.e. set the rules you would like the CTC employees to adopt.

Create an e-mail list e.g. send out a "Councillors News" maybe every month and invite people to "subscribe"/"unsubscribe" through e.g. Facebook account, etc. (you can get a free MailChimp account to manage the e-mail distribution). Again, set the same rules on what goes into the weekly/monthly e-mail as you would like CTC employees to use for their own e-mail distribution. Gradually, over time you will build-up a list and you are more likely to collect addresses for the more active members (i.e. those who take enough interest to vote on issues).

As it would be a CTC Councillors account and available to all Councillors (both those agreeing and disagreeing with any issue) there would probably be a good case to contact member groups through their CTC e-mail addresses to notify them about Facebook account and/or e-mail newsletter and ask them to pass the word (after all, you are not campaigning for or against anything, just creating the means to communicate with members) - though I don't know the exact rules and I'd guess CTC employees would be unhappy about it as they would effectively be loosing a bit of control and my impression is that they are wanting complete control over everything.

Ian

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 12 Dec 2015, 5:50pm

Psamathe wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:
Psamathe wrote:[quote="Philip Benstead"]...It is not possible for CTC trustees to communicate directly with their constituents.

Why not. I would have thought the CTC would provide e-mail addresses to a Councillor (or at least distribute an e-mail on the Councillors behalf). If they don't ... I wonder why.

Ian

Recently three (not me may I say) CTC Trustees have tried but their copy was considered to be too divisive so was stop by the chair.
The chair comments stated that the trustee need to adhere to collective decision making.
This not unusual the CTC he has always held all the lever of communication.
I did not even try to send a message I knew this would happen.

I find that quite disgraceful. Glad I left.[/quote]

Is it disgraceful or is it DPA? The email addresses cannot be used for anyone to send any communication they like to the owners. The Data Protection Act makes that illegal. They were collected as a way for the CTC corporate to communicate with members not as a way for individuals to send unsolicited lobbying to them.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 12 Dec 2015, 8:44pm

TonyR wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:Recently three (not me may I say) CTC Trustees have tried but their copy was considered to be too divisive so was stop by the chair.
The chair comments stated that the trustee need to adhere to collective decision making.
This not unusual the CTC he has always held all the lever of communication.
I did not even try to send a message I knew this would happen.

I find that quite disgraceful. Glad I left.
Is it disgraceful or is it DPA? The email addresses cannot be used for anyone to send any communication they like to the owners. The Data Protection Act makes that illegal. They were collected as a way for the CTC corporate to communicate with members not as a way for individuals to send unsolicited lobbying to them.

CTC could distribute e-mails on behalf of Councillors. Or, I would expect that were CTC councillors provided e-mail addresses they would be provided on the basis that they are part of the CTC and thus part of the organisation and thus bound by the same data protection rules. When I was a member I never had any options to specify who within the CTC could or could not have access to my e-mail address; it was just the CTC.

Ian

Heltor Chasca

Postby Heltor Chasca » 12 Dec 2015, 8:53pm

I remember when politics was like this (and still is) in Afrika. Next we are are going to hear that those, from below the ranks of the powers that be, who have the interests of the common people at the forefront of their minds have mysteriously died in an accident with an army truck

gaz

Postby gaz » 12 Dec 2015, 9:00pm

Psamathe wrote:When I was a member I never had any options to specify who within the CTC could or could not have access to my e-mail address; it was just the CTC.

You can choose which e-mails to recieve (and you have been able to do so for some time).
Untitled.jpg
Mailing Suppression Options

The only official CTC e-mail I have ever received from a Councillor was during the Charity Conversion Debate, the Councillor opposed the change.

fishfright

Postby fishfright » 12 Dec 2015, 9:18pm

Philip Benstead wrote:
gaz wrote:CTC trustees are unpaid volunteers. They can claim reasonable expenses. More here: http://www.ctc.org.uk/about-ctc/ctc-nat ... ouncillors

When the CEO role was advertised in 2011 the salary was shown as £70,000pa. I do not have a more up to date figure.

As to who CTC is for, the Charitable Objects are set out in the current Mem and Arts: http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/fil ... ay2012.pdf

CEO gets £81,000 but according to

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... tives.html

Charities set to be forced to be more open about how much they pay their top executives
Charities could be forced to publish details of the salaries paid to top executives to reassure donors about how their money is being spent, according to a former BBC presenter who is leading a review of executive pay among charities

Eighty one grand ?? I'm guessing charity starts at the old boys club once again.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 12 Dec 2015, 11:20pm

gaz wrote:
Psamathe wrote:When I was a member I never had any options to specify who within the CTC could or could not have access to my e-mail address; it was just the CTC.

You can choose which e-mails to recieve (and you have been able to do so for some time).
Untitled.jpg

The only official CTC e-mail I have ever received from a Councillor was during the Charity Conversion Debate, the Councillor opposed the change.

I never saw that when I was a member (but never got e-mails other than their weekly e-mail).

I find it interesting that there is the option to receive/unsubscribe from Councillor e-mail yet CTC employees apparently censor such e-mails and not make the lists available to Councillors. Yet the subscription options suggest they do/should (do/should send Councillor e-mails or pass e-mail lists to Councillors).

Ian

gaz

Postby gaz » 13 Dec 2015, 12:16am

There is a post by Regulator* in the Charity Debate section that gives some explanation of the processes surrounding Councillor originated e-mails :wink: : viewtopic.php?f=38&t=33609&p=267331#p267348

Regulator wrote:So... it seems we can send e-mails but only if we toe the party line and have our e-mails checked by National Office. :roll:

*Regulator was once a Councillor. He was involved with the "savethectc" group at the time.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 13 Dec 2015, 3:41am

Psamathe wrote:I find it interesting that there is the option to receive/unsubscribe from Councillor e-mail yet CTC employees apparently censor such e-mails and not make the lists available to Councillors. Yet the subscription options suggest they do/should (do/should send Councillor e-mails or pass e-mail lists to Councillors).

That form is irrelevant for specifying what forms of contact are allowable under DPA. It's buried too deep and you are not automatically taken there as part of your sign up acceptances. It also only applies to members who have a CTC website login, not all members.

I work for a large organisation and we are very clear on what mailings we can and can't legally do within the DPA. Personal information such as email addresses can only be used for the purposes for which it was given. If it is collected on subscription and there is no explanation of what it will be used for then it can only be used for corporate communications, not for individuals or third parties to send personal emails to you. That's why we always have all those boxes to tick on websites about communications from selected third parties - because the DPA requires that we give our consent before our email can be used in that way. So I don't see a case for it being called censorship; unless you call complying with the law censorship.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 13 Dec 2015, 6:06pm

TonyR wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I find it interesting that there is the option to receive/unsubscribe from Councillor e-mail yet CTC employees apparently censor such e-mails and not make the lists available to Councillors. Yet the subscription options suggest they do/should (do/should send Councillor e-mails or pass e-mail lists to Councillors).

That form is irrelevant for specifying what forms of contact are allowable under DPA. It's buried too deep and you are not automatically taken there as part of your sign up acceptances. It also only applies to members who have a CTC website login, not all members.

I work for a large organisation and we are very clear on what mailings we can and can't legally do within the DPA. Personal information such as email addresses can only be used for the purposes for which it was given. If it is collected on subscription and there is no explanation of what it will be used for then it can only be used for corporate communications, not for individuals or third parties to send personal emails to you. That's why we always have all those boxes to tick on websites about communications from selected third parties - because the DPA requires that we give our consent before our email can be used in that way. So I don't see a case for it being called censorship; unless you call complying with the law censorship.

I had always regarded the CTC Councillors as part of the CTC.

Ian