CTC Council Historical List 1992 to current

User avatar
Philip Benstead
Posts: 1418
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 7:06pm
Location: Victoria , London

CTC Council Historical List 1992 to current

Postby Philip Benstead » 8 Jan 2016, 11:06pm

Dear All

(Note all information obtain free from Companies House)
Given the debate on the type of people on council I thought I would do some research.
I thought this would be of some interest see attachment for full information, if you would like the spreadsheet send PM
Note the following
Oldest on appointment 75.87 (current oldest on appointment is Stephen Coe 65.72)
Youngest on appointment 25.85 (current youngest on appointment is Kristian at 28.77)
Average age on appointment is 53.07
Average on resignation 57.56
Average length of term 4.49
OCCUPATIONS
Accountant
Aircraft Engineer
Architectural Assistant
Chairman Nhs
Charity Administrator
Charity Organiser
Chartered Accountant
Chartered Civil Engineer
Chartered Quantity Surveyor
Chartered Surveyor
Chemist
Civil Servant
Clerk
Community Engagement Officer
Company Director
Company Secretary
Consultant
Contracts Manager
Cycle Instructor
Cycle Trainer
Cycling Project Manager
Designer
Director
Doctor
Engineer
Engineering Lecturer Part Time
Environmental Consultant
Fitter
Gardener
Government Service
Guide
Housewife
Independent Urban Design Consultant
Information Governance Lead
Insurance Manager
Insurance Underwriter
Journalist
Lecturer
Legal Executive
Local Authority
Local Government Officer
Management Services Practitioner
Manager
Marketing Consultant
Mechanical Design Engineer
Mental Health Officer
None
Office Manager
Physicist
Planning & Performance Manager University Of Leeds
Registered Childminder
Regulator
Research Student
Retired
Retired Engineer
Retired Teacher
Secretary
Semi-Retired
Software Developer
Software Trainer
Solicitor
Solicitor Retired
Student
Surgeon
Surveyor
Technical Publications Editor
Telecommunitions Support & Implementation Engineer
Training Manager
Image Attachments
CTCCouncillorHistoricalList1992tocurrent.jpg
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

User avatar
Si
Moderator
Posts: 15184
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 7:37pm

Re: CTC Council Historical List 1992 to current

Postby Si » 9 Jan 2016, 11:57am

Philip Benstead wrote:Given the debate on the type of people on council


What debate?

TonyR
Posts: 5390
Joined: 31 Aug 2008, 12:51pm

Re: CTC Council Historical List 1992 to current

Postby TonyR » 9 Jan 2016, 12:14pm

Seems to be very short on two types of people you would want to have on the Council of a reasonably big organisation or charity - lawyers and accountants. Otherwise there is a great danger of going down the Co-op route of being run by well a meaning but inexperienced "dysfunctional board in which some directors did not know the difference between debits and credits and clearly out of their depth when financial concepts and terminology are used".

User avatar
Philip Benstead
Posts: 1418
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 7:06pm
Location: Victoria , London

Re: CTC Council Historical List 1992 to current

Postby Philip Benstead » 9 Jan 2016, 12:44pm

TonyR wrote:Seems to be very short on two types of people you would want to have on the Council of a reasonably big organisation or charity - lawyers and accountants. Otherwise there is a great danger of going down the Co-op route of being run by well a meaning but inexperienced "dysfunctional board in which some directors did not know the difference between debits and credits and clearly out of their depth when financial concepts and terminology are used".




Lawyer and their like are having valuable contribution to make until they become an illogical animal on the political front. They can have undue influence and can contribute to manipulation.

Accouters are very useful to show how much money we got and where we are spending on the correct area for which it was obtained and allocated.

The main need for councillor is to be able to read, understand and analysis consequence of their actions and to come a balance view.

Some of you may think this is self-evident, I could not possibly comment
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

TonyR
Posts: 5390
Joined: 31 Aug 2008, 12:51pm

Re: CTC Council Historical List 1992 to current

Postby TonyR » 9 Jan 2016, 1:16pm

Philip Benstead wrote:The main need for councillor is to be able to read, understand and analysis consequence of their actions and to come a balance view.

Some of you may think this is self-evident, I could not possibly comment


A Councillor's primary responsibility is a statutory one:

Councillors have overall legal responsibility for the charity. They must ensure that:

• the charity pursues its objects or purposes, as set out in its Articles of Association
• the assets of the charity are protected and used exclusively to pursue its purposes
• the charity complies fully with the law and its governing documents
• the charity remains solvent and is not exposed to undue risk

http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/fil ... lors_1.pdf

The rest is helpful but without somebody on Council having legal and accountancy expertise it would be very easy for Council to get the organisation into a mess for which they can be held personally legally responsible and for which ignorance or lack of expertise is not a defence.

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 14164
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, lorry park of England

Re: CTC Council Historical List 1992 to current

Postby gaz » 9 Jan 2016, 4:03pm

The current Mem and Arts requires Council to appoint an Honorary Consulting Solicitor and Financial Advisor.
5.3 The Council shall within six months prior to the commencement of each calendar year appoint the President, a maximum of two Vice-Presidents, an Honorary Consulting Solicitor and a Financial Advisor. They shall have the right to attend Council meetings and shall hold office for the full calendar year.


I do not know how long such a provision has been in the Mem & Arts, certainly since April 2009 (pre-Charity) which is the earliest edition I've previously tracked down on-line. It seems reasonable to believe the provsion is there to ensure that in the absence of suitably qualified Volunteer Councillors the legal and financial expertise required to inform Council's decisions is always available.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

User avatar
robgul
Posts: 3017
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 8:40pm
Contact:

Re: CTC Council Historical List 1992 to current

Postby robgul » 10 Jan 2016, 10:40am

This all getting REALLY BORING .... I've voted with my feet and got a refund on the balance of my annual subs.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker

TonyR
Posts: 5390
Joined: 31 Aug 2008, 12:51pm

Re: CTC Council Historical List 1992 to current

Postby TonyR » 10 Jan 2016, 12:20pm

robgul wrote:This all getting REALLY BORING .... I've voted with my feet and got a refund on the balance of my annual subs.

Rob


Yes that was REALLY BORING. :roll:

User avatar
Philip Benstead
Posts: 1418
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 7:06pm
Location: Victoria , London

Re: CTC Council Historical List 1992 to current

Postby Philip Benstead » 10 Jan 2016, 2:44pm

gaz wrote:The current Mem and Arts requires Council to appoint an Honorary Consulting Solicitor and Financial Advisor.
5.3 The Council shall within six months prior to the commencement of each calendar year appoint the President, a maximum of two Vice-Presidents, an Honorary Consulting Solicitor and a Financial Advisor. They shall have the right to attend Council meetings and shall hold office for the full calendar year.


I do not know how long such a provision has been in the Mem & Arts, certainly since April 2009 (pre-Charity) which is the earliest edition I've previously tracked down on-line. It seems reasonable to believe the provsion is there to ensure that in the absence of suitably qualified Volunteer Councillors the legal and financial expertise required to inform Council's decisions is always available.



That has been such since a very long time.

MY Personal views

My point as before is that these professional persons are there to give professional advice.
Of course they are CTC members and will have their own views but IMHO it is imperative that they do not become Ideologically motivated such that they have undue influence.

The council of late, say for the last 5 years at least has consistently misused the articles and standing orders to stifle debate. This has been permitted to happen by the Chair and senior staff, who often treat dissenting Councillors with almost contempt. (by the way this is not just about me I would say now around at least 40 % of Councillors are treated in this way to various degrees)

There are now proposals to restrict the wrong type of members from getting on to the council. To the point of the council turning a blind eye to sloppy electoral practices to cover up “Jobs for the boys” in a recent election.

There is a general trend to make members input a side show, "Our Dear Leader" is trying to make the CTC into BC and become almost a department of government.
Things have now become so bad that persons who had been at one-time establishment figure, have become critics of the clique.

Why has this happened?

A lack of input from members who only want to ride their bikes, from comments made on on this forum that many members do not understand how the organisation works.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic