Where should CTC be going?

Philip Benstead

Postby Philip Benstead » 22 Jan 2016, 2:25pm

Facebook Public Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/911322558887222/

I know some of you may not like Facebook, but if you would like to be involved in a lively debate about the CTC please do try it.
Philip Benstead | CTC London and FORMER CTC Councillor SE
| 0794-980-1698 | philipbenstead1@gmail.com |
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Cycle Ride? http://www.meetup.com/socialcycling4u/
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

gaz

Re: Where should CTC be going?

Postby gaz » 22 Jan 2016, 6:51pm

I prefer to undertake debates about CTC, lively or otherwise, that aren't restricted to Facebook members. Anyone can join in a debate here, they don't need to be a member of either CTC or Facebook to do so. There's no reason to use a Facebook Private Group.

Edit: :oops: Upon refelction whilst it is possible for a non-member of the forum to view the debate here, only members can join in. Perhaps not so different from FB afterall.
Last edited by gaz on 22 Jan 2016, 9:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

Philip Benstead

Postby Philip Benstead » 22 Jan 2016, 7:13pm

gaz wrote:I prefer to undertake debates about CTC, lively or otherwise, that aren't restricted to Facebook members. Anyone can join in a debate here, they don't need to be a member of either CTC or Facebook to do so. There's no reason to use a Facebook Private Group.

Public Group
Philip Benstead | CTC London and FORMER CTC Councillor SE
| 0794-980-1698 | philipbenstead1@gmail.com |
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Cycle Ride? http://www.meetup.com/socialcycling4u/
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 22 Jan 2016, 9:25pm

The Facebook group is read-only for the public. To post a message you have to join Facebook.

This Forum is read-only for the public. To post a message you have to join the Forum.

The only difference is that Facebook uses your information to insert you into a global social graph, and then they target advertising at you using the information about your links to other people (including whose pages you post on!).

gaz

Postby gaz » 22 Jan 2016, 10:12pm

If I follow Philip's link:-
Untitled.png
You must log in to continue

There doesn't seem to be any "read only" option.

Likewise when I follow earlier links to the group from Chris Jeggo.

Edit: The privacy settings for the FB Group have been changed at some point between the date of this post and this edit. The discussion can now be viewed without signing up to FB.
Last edited by gaz on 24 Nov 2016, 7:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 22 Jan 2016, 10:20pm

Facebook is a disease..
People live their passion and their failure on it daily...
At work we have an app that shuts down all access to Facebook during the working day.
Any campaign that bases itself on facebook will only give results based on face book users. The rest of us will not be there.
As Tim B-L has pointed out only 3 % of all knowledge is available on the www.
Live your life face to face or on forums that do not track your life .......... if there is one
How much is the great CTC Charity getting in marketing fees from our personal data tonight ???
It's not about the bike .. It's about the journey.
The Road Goes On Forever ........................

Heltor Chasca

Postby Heltor Chasca » 23 Jan 2016, 8:49am

I have a couple of points:

Years ago, when FB was first around I was on it in a personal capacity and had a visitation on FB from an ex. Weird stuff about my new life, kids etc. Stalking basically. Long story, but I am no longer on it as a 'person'.

My business is on FB for marketing reasons. I do get business and retain 'brand recognition' to a degree. The functions of FB are very limited for businesses so that suits me fine. For example you can't 'friend' or 'like' although people can like you. eg. my clients.

I used to do volunteer work for a local wildlife group. The committee decided not to have a presence on FB or Twitter. It was very difficult to get any sort of media presence, new membership etc. It was nigh on impossible to communicate events and work days. The charity suffered terribly with dwindling membership and I'm not sure it exists anymore. At it's peak we had 200+ members (?) I gave up for the usual political/infighting reasons amongst the elders. As an example a similar charity for 18-30 year olds was set up via social media in Bristol. I believe they had a 2.5k membership take up in a month (don't quote me. A peer told me this)

Summary? FB and Twitter are necessary evils for any business or charity these days.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 23 Jan 2016, 9:08am

landsurfer wrote:Any campaign that bases itself on facebook will only give results based on face book users. The rest of us will not be there.

Any campaign that bases itself on the over 31m active Facebook members in the UK - 50% of the UK population - will be doing pretty well thank you.

gaz

Postby gaz » 23 Jan 2016, 10:17am

In case anyone missed it this is a summary of Paul Touhy's thoughts on where CTC is going (CTC forum source):
... the CTC (the Cyclists' Touring Club) will soon, in its new guise, be a force that aims to bring us a cleaner, quieter, healthier world because we encourage, support and train more people to fall back in love with the gift of cycling no matter what their background is and what obstacles might be in their way. Its not about racing like my son is seen here, with his grandad cheering him on to warm applause, its about normalising cycling so we see the bicycle in its main adaptations to bring pleasure, health and fun to the nation in normalised way. To do this CTC must change from being seen as a middle aged white, male touring club to being an all encompassing NGO for everyone to tap into our knowledge expertise and authority in cycling and work for us all to - just ride ! ...

I feel that's the right destination.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 23 Jan 2016, 10:46am

gaz wrote:I feel that's the right destination.

Me too. The young girl Angela who presented the work of http://www.youcanbiketoo.org/ at the recent CTC meeting at Warwick University was an inspiration.

Ron

Postby Ron » 23 Jan 2016, 11:32am

I'm afraid I find it all a bit vague. Many CTC members in the past have devoted time to assisting the disadvantaged by encouraging cycle related activities or working on path maintenance projects in order to encourage active travel.
Are more CTC members now expected to do less cycling in their leisure time and more voluntary work?

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 23 Jan 2016, 11:34am

gaz wrote:I prefer to undertake debates about CTC, lively or otherwise, that aren't restricted to Facebook members. Anyone can join in a debate here, they don't need to be a member of either CTC or Facebook to do so. There's no reason to use a Facebook Private Group.

Edit: :oops: Upon refelction whilst it is possible for a non-member of the forum to view the debate here, only members can join in. Perhaps not so different from FB afterall.

+1
I am not a member of Facebook and thus am excluded from the debate.

That is the problem with things like Facebook and why it is a stupid place to have such "debates".

Ian

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 23 Jan 2016, 11:44am

Psamathe wrote:

+1

That is the problem with things like Facebook and why it is a stupid place to have such "debates".

Ian

Its easy to join Facebook and, like here, there is no need to use your real name. So whats the problem with joining in?

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 23 Jan 2016, 12:01pm

TonyR wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

+1

Ian

Its easy to join Facebook and, like here, there is no need to use your real name. So whats the problem with joining in?

I have having accounts I don't want or use, dealing with the e-mails you so often get. With Facebook you are the product they are selling and I don't want to offer myself as part of their product. So looks like I'm excluded from being part of the discussion about where the CTC should be going.

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 23 Jan 2016, 12:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

beardy

Postby beardy » 23 Jan 2016, 12:01pm

The beauty of holding the debate on Facebook is that is severely skews the selection of those invited to the debate.

A good way of minimising the impact of those bearded, sandaled old dinosaurs who trundle around the countryside on thirty year old bikes with canvass saddlebags dangling from their rear.

Much more of the trendy, extroverted youthful voices to be heard in a debate on Facebook.

To hold the debate here on the forum would be inward looking to the core of dedicated CTC cyclists, holding it on Facebook is more outward looking towards the potential cyclists.
At present two birds in the bush are much more attractive than the one in the hand.