CTC merchandise

honesty

CTC merchandise

Postby honesty » 17 Feb 2016, 9:10pm

So, seeing the post on here about a new logo goto me thinking, why can I not get CTC merchandise? Surely the CTC would make a decent amount of money flogging t-shirt and patches with the old flying logo on it? I know I'd buy one at least...

Even sustains gets in on the act with panniers. I would have thought getting outlier to produce a logoed version ofor their bags for the cycle would be easy (Roses bikes do this as well so it's not going to be too hard!)

gaz

Re: CTC merchandise

Postby gaz » 17 Feb 2016, 9:38pm

CTC branded clothing was available through impsport, both a modern and a heritage range. I can't see anything current on their website.

The ipo registration linked in the logo thread includes Class 9, 12 and 16 which seem to allow for a whole host of "Cycling UK" branded goods at some point in the future.

I don't know whether the registration links in with a masterplan to sell such products or is simply to stop others cashing in.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

honesty

Postby honesty » 17 Feb 2016, 9:44pm

Nice Carridice Barley with a winged wheel logo would be champion ;)

mjr

Postby mjr » 18 Feb 2016, 10:23am

gaz wrote:The ipo registration linked in the logo thread includes Class 9, 12 and 16 which seem to allow for a whole host of "Cycling UK" branded goods at some point in the future.

Is the rebranding going to annoy the heck out of local groups like Norfolk CTC who I don't think have long had a new set of jerseys?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Chris Jeggo

Postby Chris Jeggo » 18 Feb 2016, 6:39pm

mjr wrote:Is the rebranding going to annoy the heck out of local groups like Norfolk CTC who I don't think have long had a new set of jerseys?

West Surrey CTC is going to convert to an affiliated club 'West Surrey Cycling To Cafes'. No it isn't, I just made that up. But, lots of our members have recently spent lots of money buying our latest kit: wind jackets, gilets, softshell winter jackets, bib shorts, full length tights, and/or winter bibtights, all promoting 'West Surrey CTC' in large letters.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 18 Feb 2016, 7:33pm

mjr wrote:
gaz wrote:The ipo registration linked in the logo thread includes Class 9, 12 and 16 which seem to allow for a whole host of "Cycling UK" branded goods at some point in the future.

Is the rebranding going to annoy the heck out of local groups like Norfolk CTC who I don't think have long had a new set of jerseys?

(Think I commented same on another thread but ...)
Given the CEO has announced the change, I'm sure the member groups (committees/organisers/etc.) will have already been made well aware of the change, what it means to them, how they will be expected to adapt, etc.

One thing for sure: CTC will need to adopt the new branding immediately - a complete 100% switch (to operate both at the same time will dilute whatever message they are seeking to send). Member Groups will have to switch to the new branding in order to adequately "ride on the coat-tails of their parent organisation" (for parent body to be called one thing and local groups something different will mean all sorts of explanations people really aren't interested in). To be selling CTC clothing when you are actually a WACU organisation would be daft.

Now the announcement has been made the Member Groups no longer need to keep things secret so can presumable not tell everybody where they stand (e.g. I'd assume CTC will be buying back CTC branded goods and paying for replacement publicity, etc.)

Ian

beardy

Postby beardy » 18 Feb 2016, 7:41pm

We wear whatever we like on rides and will continue to do so.

There isnt actually any (dress) uniform policy, is there?

Chris Jeggo

Postby Chris Jeggo » 18 Feb 2016, 7:50pm

Psamathe wrote:(e.g. I'd assume CTC will be buying back CTC branded goods and paying for replacement publicity, etc.)

Ian

Like!

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 18 Feb 2016, 7:54pm

Chris Jeggo wrote:
Psamathe wrote:(e.g. I'd assume CTC will be buying back CTC branded goods and paying for replacement publicity, etc.)

Ian

Like!

They pretty well have to. If clubs ordered clothing, merchandise, publicity materials in good faith based on their relationship with their parent organisation, then their parent organisation does an all change, I'd expect the parent organisation to bear the costs of that change. Only where such materials were ordered after the Member Groups were notified would there be an exception. So I'd expect the Member Groups not to be claiming much as I'd assume they have had plenty of warning about all this so stocks would be low.

Ian

Ron

Postby Ron » 18 Feb 2016, 10:39pm

Psamathe wrote:Given the CEO has announced the change,

Has he really? I hadn't heard of this, where/when did this happen?

Edit, just seen the statement in the other thread.

Such a strange way of announcing a change, booze up in a brewery anyone?

gaz

Postby gaz » 18 Feb 2016, 10:50pm

Ron wrote:Has he really? I hadn't heard of this, where/when did this happen?

CEO Statement

PH

Postby PH » 18 Feb 2016, 11:40pm

Psamathe wrote:Given the CEO has announced the change, I'm sure the member groups (committees/organisers/etc.) will have already been made well aware of the change, what it means to them, how they will be expected to adapt, etc.

You are joking?
Member groups got emailed the same statement today. most had heard the rumours to some it's come as a complete shock.
One thing for sure: CTC will need to adopt the new branding immediately - a complete 100% switch (to operate both at the same time will dilute whatever message they are seeking to send). Member Groups will have to switch to the new branding in order to adequately "ride on the coat-tails of their parent organisation" (for parent body to be called one thing and local groups something different will mean all sorts of explanations people really aren't interested in). To be selling CTC clothing when you are actually a WACU organisation would be daft.

The statement says that guidance will follow shortly. Until we get that MGs don't know what's expected from them, I anticipate a period of transition. I'd be very surprised if funding was offered for any changes. As I said elsewhere, calling a group "*place* Cycling UK" doesn't make a sensible title. The current management have kept the MGs at arms length, sometimes I wonder if they see any association with them at all, they may see closer links with then as diluting their message.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 19 Feb 2016, 12:38am

PH wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Given the CEO has announced the change, I'm sure the member groups (committees/organisers/etc.) will have already been made well aware of the change, what it means to them, how they will be expected to adapt, etc.

You are joking?
Member groups got emailed the same statement today. most had heard the rumours to some it's come as a complete shock.

The statement says that guidance will follow shortly. Until we get that MGs don't know what's expected from them, I anticipate a period of transition. I'd be very surprised if funding was offered for any changes. As I said elsewhere, calling a group "*place* Cycling UK" doesn't make a sensible title. The current management have kept the MGs at arms length, sometimes I wonder if they see any association with them at all, they may see closer links with then as diluting their message.

Any even half professional organisation when doing something like this will have prepared everything, told impacted groups (under confidentiality clauses) about the changes, what, why, impacts, etc., etc. so that when the change is announced there will not be all the "wonder what happens now", "what about all that CTC embroidered stuff we just purchased ...", etc. It's call management. It's why you pay managers more than junior trainees - because they get things like this "right". I can't believe that people on the sort of salaries that are being paid at National Office have not prepared, notified, etc. relevant bodies/people/groups before making a public announcement.

Ian

gaz

Postby gaz » 19 Feb 2016, 1:02am

IMO the decision to rebrand as "Cycling UK" is likely to have been subject to confidentiality clauses, nevertheless it has leaked out. There was mention on here of the name before the trademark registration was uncovered.

So once the confidentiality clauses have failed and the rumour mill is in full swing it's damage limitation time, the situation has become a firefight and the original timetable to inform the MGs and others before the public announcement is out the window.

PH

Postby PH » 19 Feb 2016, 7:41am

Psamathe wrote: I can't believe that people on the sort of salaries that are being paid at National Office have not prepared, notified, etc. relevant bodies/people/groups before making a public announcement.
Ian

Believe it. I can tell you as a matter of fact that the committee of my MG (Including the treasurer who in the last few months paid for £1,100 of cycling kit, £150 for mudguard stickers, £90 for business cards and £37 to renew the website domain) had no prior notification of this change. Of course we'd heard the rumours, we've been hearing them for at least the last 4 years, we couldn't put everything on hold.
But we're all waiting for that guidance, until we get that we won't know what is expected of us.