CTC CHANGE OF NAME

pga

CTC CHANGE OF NAME

Post by pga »

No mention on the Forum of the CTC change of name by a unilateral vote of Council! What about the membership having a say. There is something rotten in the state.
Bicycler

Re: CTC CHANGE OF NAME

Post by Bicycler »

gaz

Post by gaz »

pga wrote:No mention on the Forum of the CTC change of name by a unilateral vote of Council! What about the membership having a say. There is something rotten in the state.

The powers of Council are set out in Article 6 of the Memorandum of Association.

You might wish that the decision had gone to an AGM but Council have acted within their remit.

If enough members wish to challenge the decision they may be able to: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=103825
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Not being a CTC member I can only offer a spectator's opinion, which is this: I don't like the general language of the communiqué and the mind-set it presents, i.e. one of a marketing-driven management grabbing for turf. "Cycling UK" implies coverage of everything from triking toddlers to racing professionals. While the former might legitimately be claimed - just - to my understanding cycle touring has never been about competition, but about cycling for the pure pleasure of it. We saw the same thing here a few years ago, when the Ministry of Sport casually accorded the FFC - the professional cycling body in France - responsibility for the cycle touring sector as well, thus subjugating the FFCT to an authority that didn't give a tinker's damn if there were no league tables and little money involved. It took us a lot of table-hammering to get out from under.

Were I a CTC member I'd be extremely wary of making this sort of change. Apart from anything else, it would dissociate the current organization from a history that goes well back into the 19th century. What kind of yahoo would want to do that?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Audax67 wrote:Were I a CTC member I'd be extremely wary of making this sort of change.

If you were a CTC member you wouldn't have a say :(
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Now, who was it that was warning at the time of the charity debate that this was likely to happen?

Who was categorically told this would never happen and they were just scaremongering?
GPC

Post by GPC »

Audax67 wrote:Not being a CTC member I can only offer a spectator's opinion, which is this: I don't like the general language of the communiqué and the mind-set it presents, i.e. one of a marketing-driven management grabbing for turf. "Cycling UK" implies coverage of everything from triking toddlers to racing professionals. While the former might legitimately be claimed - just - to my understanding cycle touring has never been about competition, but about cycling for the pure pleasure of it. We saw the same thing here a few years ago, when the Ministry of Sport casually accorded the FFC - the professional cycling body in France - responsibility for the cycle touring sector as well, thus subjugating the FFCT to an authority that didn't give a tinker's damn if there were no league tables and little money involved. It took us a lot of table-hammering to get out from under.

Were I a CTC member I'd be extremely wary of making this sort of change. Apart from anything else, it would dissociate the current organization from a history that goes well back into the 19th century. What kind of yahoo would want to do that?

Everything you say here could apply to the BCF change of name in the 1990's to British Cycling. The change has stood them in good stead, I am a member of the former CTC and am very happy at this change.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Hehe.
What cobblers.
Number one the new name sounds very competitive , too close to British cycling. All rather like 5th Gear or Fit On spanners. We all know that that's trying to grab people who don't know what they are talking about.
To my mind its time that those who want to become a self appointed national organisation to bugger off and do so rather than drag a reputable organisation down.
Of course as I didn't rejoin the CTC when they started slapping themselves on the back trying to pretend that they were the national cycling organisation, I don't have a say,.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Another post while I was typing.
a) All BC really di to the name was drop a letter and
b) the motive stayed the same.
This is just another step away from a club for tourists and like minded cyclists.
mike chadwick

Post by mike chadwick »

[quote="pga"]No mention on the Forum of the CTC change of name by a unilateral vote of Council! What about the membership having a say. There is something rotten in the state.[/
I don't care the ctc as a cycling touring club has been dead for years I will make my protest by not renewing my membership in September who the hell do they think they are
hondated

Post by hondated »

Just found out about this over on Cyclechat and I am amazed.
I don't suppose as a member that it will affect me too much but I question why it as been done and also how much this rebranding as cost us as members.
Because you can bet that a consultancy company was used to determine the rebranding name.
gaz

Post by gaz »

hondated wrote:Just found out about this over on Cyclechat....

Since the rebrand exercise was announced in August 2013, has it's own section on the forum and has had regular mentions in Council minutes I find myself drawn to the words of Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz:
There’s no point in acting surprised about it ... you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now ... I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout ... I don't know, apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all.
:wink:

If you would like to make a fuss: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=103825
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

gaz wrote:....has had regular mentions in Council minutes I find myself drawn to the words of Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz...

At what point did these mentions give some possible new names and ask for comments? I didn't notice any such. A name has been picked by paying consultants and has simply been implemented without any period for comment so I don't see any similarity at all.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
hondated

Post by hondated »

gaz wrote:
hondated wrote:Just found out about this over on Cyclechat....

Since the rebrand exercise was announced in August 2013, has it's own section on the forum and has had regular mentions in Council minutes I find myself drawn to the words of Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz:
There’s no point in acting surprised about it ... you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now ... I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout ... I don't know, apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all.
:wink:

If you would like to make a fuss: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=103825

Make a fuss what a silly comment gaz. Hardly the end of the world is it and I suppose I should have paid more attention but I am not that anal about such matters.
However given that some members may be I would be interested in how much this rebranding as cost as I mentioned before. Given we are now a charity I am wondering whether to remain a member because by what I read those who help out in charities receive nothing but the higher managers are on mega bucks which I do not agree with.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I think Gaz had his tongue in cheek, hence the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy reference.

He's quite right that this has not been a secret, but I think it's fair to say that the CTC has done nothing to draw members attention to it. Like the Vogon planning application it has been done by the book yet in such a way as to minimise the risk of actually having to consider people's objections.