Lizzie Reather has resign from CTC Council with immediate ef

Philip Benstead

Lizzie Reather has resign from CTC Council with immediate ef

Postby Philip Benstead » 30 Mar 2016, 7:37pm

http://www.ctc.org.uk/about-ctc/ctc-nat ... ie-reather

Lizzie Reather has resign from CTC Council with immediate effect today.

Lizzie Reather, CTC Councillor for Yorkshire & the Humber

Lizzie Reather is the CTC Councillor for Yorkshire and the Humber and Chair of Leeds Cycling Campaign

Lizzie Reather is the CTC Councillor for Yorkshire and the Humber, now living in Scotland and also acting as a link between National Council and Scotland.
Having cycled as a child and student, I began cycling to work and for transport in Leeds in 2009. I quickly became disappointed at the conditions for cycling and joined CTC and my local campaign group. Five years later I was Chair of Leeds Cycling Campaign, a role that allowed me to build my skills in campaigning and representing cycling, and to experience the delights of recreational cycling.

Over the last few years I have prepared submissions to a local public inquiry; corresponded and met with local and national politicians and transport officers; and chaired and attended numerous meetings. I have also led workshops and given presentations at national cycling events and put forward the case for cycling on local and national television, getting very positive feedback from other campaigners. I've enjoyed long day rides, ladies-only leisure pootles, audax events, cycle touring in the Netherlands, mountain bike trails in Wales, mass participation closed-road rides, and cycling home, uphill, into a headwind, with my weekly shop!

I now work in strategy and communications at Glasgow Caledonian University, and through my professional life I have experience in managing budgets, communicating information to lay audiences, long term strategy and planning and organisational development. I'm always interested in making improvements and making sure resources are being used in the best possible ways. During 2014-15 I served as a Board member of Cyclenation, the federation of local cycling campaigns and I’m passionate about local groups and campaigns.

In a recent play, Beryl Burton was shown saying to her daughter: “There's nothing like cycling folk. They'll change your life.” Cycling, and cycling folk, have given me a great feeling of freedom, enjoyment and independence. But I’m troubled that choosing to cycle for transport seems to be revolutionary and unfathomable to so many people. It shouldn't be this hard!

CTC is already doing a great job in understanding the barriers and how they can be overcome, and communicating this to local and national decision makers, while at the same time giving excellent support to existing riders and celebrating all the positives about bikes. I want to use my skills to support CTC in its work and continue to represent cyclists of all ages, interests and abilities.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

Psamathe

Re: Lizzie Reather has resign from CTC Council with immediat

Postby Psamathe » 30 Mar 2016, 7:41pm

Has she given any reasons for her resignation?

Ian

Philip Benstead

Postby Philip Benstead » 30 Mar 2016, 7:43pm

Psamathe wrote:Has she given any reasons for her resignation?

Ian

None so far .

Si

Postby Si » 30 Mar 2016, 7:47pm

Wild guess:
CTC Councillor for Yorkshire and the Humber, now living in Scotland

????

Philip Benstead

Postby Philip Benstead » 30 Mar 2016, 7:50pm

Si wrote:Wild guess:
CTC Councillor for Yorkshire and the Humber, now living in Scotland

????

Been told Something about a university career in Scotland.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 30 Mar 2016, 7:55pm

I follow Lizzie on Twitter she seems to be active with #walkcyclevote.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

vioforla

Postby vioforla » 1 Apr 2016, 9:28pm

Hi people,
As Philip has indicated (an email went out to councillors this week), I've decided to call it a day on Council. This wasn't a decision I took lightly and I know I'm letting people down, not least those who supported me in standing for council in the first place, and all the lovely folk who voted for me.

As Si picked up, I was elected a councillor for Yorkshire and the Humber and then fairly soon afterwards I moved to Scotland with the day job. At around the same time the incumbent councillor in Scotland stepped down leaving a vacancy. According to the rules it's not a requirement to be resident in the area a Councillor represents, so with the agreement of the Chair I stayed on Council to see how it went, informally representing Scotland and keeping in touch with Scottish member groups and CTC-Scotland (meanwhile my fellow Councillor Martyn was representing Yorkshire).

However I found it increasingly hard to make a meaningful contribution on Council, so I decided it would be better to step back. My focus will be on campaigning locally (GoBike / Space4Cycling Glasgow) and in Scotland (including Walk Cycle Vote, Women's Cycle Forum and Pedal on Parliament). And on actually riding my bike instead of sitting in meetings at the weekends...

Thanks to everyone who has supported and encouraged me along the way.
Lizzie

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 4 Apr 2016, 9:49pm

vioforla wrote: My focus will be on campaigning locally (GoBike / Space4Cycling Glasgow)...
Lizzie

I'm afraid that though I cycle regularly in Glasgow I'd never heard of Space4Cycling Glasgow :oops: . I've just read the article on the Colleges route - every so often I pass the signposts but have never been able to work out the actual route! :lol:

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 11 Apr 2016, 10:05am

Philip -

You've quoted someone by name again. You actually say nothing about the lady which isn't factual but your questions say more in what they don't say than in what they do say. I'm in Yorkshire - I've met this lady and she's brilliant - I know something of her current situation and why she's taken the action that she has, and it's none of your business. This is out of order. Surely there's no place for attempting personal points.

Why are you picking on her?

Philip - you've done quite a bit of good by keeping us all aware of the 'situation' with the erstwhile CTC and encouraging us to question and you're not the only one who has, shall we say, some unhappiness with what's happened and is happening, but what's done is done and we have to support the 'club' and it's successors now. If we carry on with this (and make no mistake, I share some of your feelings) then we'll be in danger of destroying the good works that the 'club' is doing - "A house divided against itself cannot stand.............".

This has gone way beyond the 'Silly Squiggle' controversy of some years back, and is more serious. We have to run with it now - campaigning is absolutely crucial and if we get involved it must now be in support.