What has the CTC ever done for you?

jimlews

What has the CTC ever done for you?

Postby jimlews » 11 Apr 2016, 8:07pm

In view of the new identity proclaimed at the top of the page, does the CTC actually exist any more?

And:

As the subject title - What has the CTC ever done for you?

In my case, the most memorable occasion was receiving (completely gratis) photocopies of a Jack Lauterwasser article from a 1950s edition of Cycle Touring concerning the conversion of Sturmey Archer four speed hubs to five speed operation.

I just wondered if anyone else has been in receipt of similar kindnesses.

john4703

Re: What has the CTC ever done for you?

Postby john4703 » 11 Apr 2016, 8:30pm

I am a member mainly because I get insurance and legal aid cover. I have never used either, and hope I never do, but is good to know they are there.
Don't let them win but keep up the struggle and wear them all down by our persistence.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 11 Apr 2016, 9:19pm

Insurance, legal aid, DA:- company, various holidays, friends all around the country.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

jezer

Postby jezer » 11 Apr 2016, 10:32pm

All of our tours in the UK and Europe, except one, have been with CTC. Our least favourite was with a commercial company. Very little backup, and no budget left over for a good meal at the end.
Power to the pedals

Eyebrox

Postby Eyebrox » 12 Apr 2016, 2:54am

I get the use of a great forum that brings together cycling advice and examples of good practice from thousands of like-minded individuals throughout the UK. The forum has inspired me, kept my bike on the road and entertained me on my favourite subject. Then there's the list of rides I can join from my local group. Insurance and shop discounts. Free magazine. And the satisfaction of being a small cog in a huge machine that can effect change. What's the CTC doing for me? Quite a lot actually.

robgul

Postby robgul » 12 Apr 2016, 7:24am

A great number of cycling friends ... that's about it (apart from taking money off me!) - and we've now dissolved the old MG to go the affiliated club route with a much lower cost club model and no bureaucracy.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 12 Apr 2016, 10:36am

john4703 wrote:I am a member mainly because I get insurance and legal aid cover. I have never used either, and hope I never do, but is good to know they are there.

I understood that the "legal aid" is actually just a "no win, no fee" large legal company who will also happily take on cases for non-CTC members.

Have you checked your home policy (many of which include 3rd party cover" or the LLC's offering (at £10 or less).

Ian

Si

Postby Si » 12 Apr 2016, 1:06pm

Psamathe wrote:
john4703 wrote:I am a member mainly because I get insurance and legal aid cover. I have never used either, and hope I never do, but is good to know they are there.

I understood that the "legal aid" is actually just a "no win, no fee" large legal company who will also happily take on cases for non-CTC members.

Not quite so straight forward as previously explained by membership services. (I'm sure someone can find the thread....Gaz?)

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 12 Apr 2016, 3:04pm

Roads

Sorry but the tile reminded me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9foi342LXQE
NUKe

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 12 Apr 2016, 3:17pm

NUKe wrote:Roads

From the same film, the People's front for the liberation of Judea etc resemble the congested cycle campaigning space that CUK has just clouded further.

freiston

Postby freiston » 12 Apr 2016, 6:04pm

On top of the benefits of insurance and legal aid, which I never used but was always glad of being there, I suppose the most use I ever got out the CTC was back in the eighties when 'information technology' was a different ball-game. I would never make a journey of more than one day without the handbook - it was a godsend for finding somewhere to stay/eat and for finding local bike shops. I never got involved with local groups and so the magazine was my link to the 'world of cycle-touring' and was what kept me informed.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

gaz

Postby gaz » 12 Apr 2016, 7:02pm

Si wrote:(I'm sure someone can find the thread....Gaz?)

This thread explains (be sure to read it all), Full CTC members get a different deal to Affililiate / Non-members.

Edit: fixed link :oops: .
Last edited by gaz on 17 Apr 2016, 9:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

jimlews

Postby jimlews » 13 Apr 2016, 8:05am

NUKe wrote:Roads

My inspiration laid bare