2016 AGM - Reminder to vote from the Chair

gaz

2016 AGM - Reminder to vote from the Chair

Post by gaz »

An e-mail dropped into my inbox this morning.
Dear .

I need your help. We have a real opportunity to shape the way that Cycling UK is run so that we are able to fulfil our potential to improve and support cycling. Council members (our board of trustees) are making an important proposal and we need your support to make it happen by voting now in favour of motion 5 on governance at our AGM.
Please take the time to read this motion and to vote in support of the proposals. Details of all the motions and the AGM itself are online, and you can vote electronically too – we hope we have record numbers taking part by attending or voting.

I'm sure none of the contributors on these boards would need a reminder but what harm could there be in trying to encourage the membership to vote :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Philip Benstead

Re: 2016 AGM - Reminder to vote from the Chair

Post by Philip Benstead »

gaz wrote:An e-mail dropped into my inbox this morning.
Dear .

I need your help. We have a real opportunity to shape the way that Cycling UK is run so that we are able to fulfil our potential to improve and support cycling. Council members (our board of trustees) are making an important proposal and we need your support to make it happen by voting now in favour of motion 5 on governance at our AGM.
Please take the time to read this motion and to vote in support of the proposals. Details of all the motions and the AGM itself are online, and you can vote electronically too – we hope we have record numbers taking part by attending or voting.

I'm sure none of the contributors on these boards would need a reminder but what harm could there be in trying to encourage the membership to vote :wink: .
should the chair be telling how members how to vote?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
gaz

Post by gaz »

You have been telling people how they should vote on Motions 1 through 12: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=104976&#p999797 / viewtopic.php?f=48&t=104977

The Chair is telling members what Council's position is on Motion 5, encouraging members to support Council's position and telling them that in order to support Council's position they should vote "Yes" to Motion 5. Which also makes it clear that if you don't support Council's position on Motion 5 you should vote "No".
Philip Benstead

gaz wrote:You have been telling people how they should vote on Motions 1 through 12: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=104976&#p999797 / viewtopic.php?f=48&t=104977

The Chair is telling members what Council's position is on Motion 5, encouraging members to support Council's position and telling them that in order to support Council's position they should vote "Yes" to Motion 5. Which also makes it clear that if you don't support Council's position on Motion 5 you should vote "No".

I am not telling I am suggesting, anyway I am normal ctc member, DC is the chair, he should be above that
freiston

Post by freiston »

Well I for one don't really have a clue as to whether this is motion is a good or a bad thing or what precipitated its formulation. Given the way the rebrand has been thrust upon us and its unpopularity, with others as well as with me, I'm a bit wary of anything recommended from above and I would welcome any context and/or people's reasons for or against the motion.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Philip Benstead

freiston wrote:Well I for one don't really have a clue as to whether this is motion is a good or a bad thing or what precipitated its formulation. Given the way the rebrand has been thrust upon us and its unpopularity, with others as well as with me, I'm a bit wary of anything recommended from above and I would welcome any context and/or people's reasons for or against the motion.

I shall be posting a reply on Monday
gaz

Post by gaz »

freiston wrote:Well I for one don't really have a clue as to whether this is motion is a good or a bad thing or what precipitated its formulation. ...

Council's view on the Motion and the Governance Review process can be found on the Cycling UK website, together with links to related documents.

The supporting text on the website appears to be the same as the e-mail that prompted this thread.
fionat

Post by fionat »

Having recently been through governance reforms with another membership organisation, I'm very aware that attempting to professionalise the governance arrangements can be seen as moving away from our roots. However, an organisation such as ours needs more than well meaning amateurs steering the direction. In my view, the ideal is a mix of member trustees, voted for by the members, and independent NEDs who have a wide range of experience, which appears to be what is being proposed.

One thing that seems odd then, is the expectation that the independent NEDs will become Cycling UK members - surely this removes their independence?

It would also be useful to have a little more detail on how the nomCo will operate - will their role be to advertise vacancies and encourage applications from well qualified member candidates, or will they go further and add a stamp of 'approval'? If the latter, and they will not, as stated, prevent anyone from standing, then how will this be communicated to the electorate? IME, such a mechanism is likely to lead to challenges and bad feeling - it should be up to each candidate to make their own case to the electorate.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Dont appoint the chair as your proxy. Vote in accordance with your own wishes.

Changes in governance should be treated with the utmost suspicion given the recent stealth hijack of the CTC and dumping of its identity . The proposal to dump your regional Council Members and prevent them from contacting local members by denying them addresses, no doubt to be replaced by a 'professional metropolitan elite', is particularly worrying.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gaz

Post by gaz »

fionat wrote:... It would also be useful to have a little more detail on how the nomCo will operate - will their role be to advertise vacancies and encourage applications from well qualified member candidates, or will they go further and add a stamp of 'approval'? If the latter, and they will not, as stated, prevent anyone from standing, then how will this be communicated to the electorate? IME, such a mechanism is likely to lead to challenges and bad feeling - it should be up to each candidate to make their own case to the electorate.

Nominations Committee would set the job description, person specification and advertise vacancies. Applicants from the membership submit their CV to the NC. NC respond, outlining their view on the candidates suitablility. Anyone subsequently standing for election would publish their own electoral statement alongside that of the NC
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think it says it all about the organisation when they spend undisclosed amounts of cash and time on a re-brand, then the most important AGM motion the Chair feels necessary to remind the members about is a governance change motion ... anybody remember the cyclists out there ... campaigning ... making things better for cyclists/cycling ... etc.

An organisation that is now so wrapped-up in itself it has completely forgotten why people are paying it money.

To me it looks like all the Organisation initiated AGM motions are about the organisation and admin (i.e. not cycle related) whilst all the cycle related externally proposed motions (ones that could make life better for cyclists/cycling) are opposed by the organisation. Beggars belief and really makes you wonder.

Ian
Shockleader

Post by Shockleader »

I can see the rationale behind the change but would require confirmation that the new board would reflect the different legislative frameworks in place in the devolved nations. Roads, Health and Education are all devolved and for better or worse can't be lumped in with England as far as much of CTC policy is concerned. Sustrans has a specific Wales based team managing Welsh affairs and working with our Assembly.
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote:Dont appoint the chair as your proxy. Vote in accordance with your own wishes.

You can do both, just look at the forms. The chair is the only proxy guaranteed to be there.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Psamathe wrote:... the most important AGM motion the Chair feels necessary to remind the members about is a governance change motion ...

How the Club is run also seems to be very important to some non-members.

Motion 5, governance, has been proposed on behalf of Council.

Motions 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 were proposed by ordinary members and are all about the running and administration of CTC. Seems to me that the members must agree that how their Club is run is of considerable importance.

There will be disagreement among the members on every Motion. Every full member can choose how they wish to vote and the votes of members will decide the outcome.
Philip Benstead

PH wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Dont appoint the chair as your proxy. Vote in accordance with your own wishes.

You can do both, just look at the forms. The chair is the only proxy guaranteed to be there.

The chair of the ctc will not there he will be in USA. The deputy chair will chair the meeting.