What do you value in membership of CTC/CUK?

Tangled Metal

What do you value in membership of CTC/CUK?

Postby Tangled Metal » 22 May 2016, 8:44pm

I'm thinking of signing my family up to this organization. We're not cycle tourers, just leisure cyclists, commuters and family rides. We are planning a summer cycle tour this year though.

I'm curious as to what members benefits are worth the money. Other organizations you can join show obvious benefits. National trust gets you into old houses and supports their conserving of buildings/landscapes worth saving. C&CC gives you reduced fees on their sites, we save a lot more than membership each year. I'm not sure I see the CUK benefits as worthwhile to me.

I think the only benefit is you can log on to members section to see route information entered by members for example routes created by members for their trips that they've loaded onto the site for other members to see. I can only see limited information until I log on as a member.

I'm not sure that's useful since these days you can search and find a lot on the internet without paying for membership.

Paulatic

Re: What do you value in membership of CTC/CUK?

Postby Paulatic » 22 May 2016, 8:55pm

There aren't any that attract me.
I too am in the C&CC , we get age discounts, member offers and access to a whole country full of certificated sites.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

gaz

Postby gaz » 22 May 2016, 9:15pm

Tangled Metal wrote:...I think the only benefit is you can log on to members section to see route information entered by members for example routes created by members for their trips that they've loaded onto the site for other members to see. I can only see limited information until I log on as a member.

I'm not sure that's useful since these days you can search and find a lot on the internet without paying for membership.

The members only CTC Maps website is scheduled for closure.
Note: much of the content of this website has been moved to other sites, and this site will be retired completely in the coming months.

Member created routes are still on CTC Maps at the moment. I've had a look around the Cycling UK website, I can't find any route information there at present.

The facility to create a map of a route on the site was effectively switched off a few years ago when google updated it's mapping services and CTC did not switch to the new package.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

gloomyandy

Postby gloomyandy » 22 May 2016, 10:10pm

For many people the major feature is the insurance and legal assistance, my cycle club membership requires some form of cycle insurance and CTC/CUK is one of the providers that they recognize. Other than that I guess I roughly support some/most of the organizations aims and I like this forum, the magazine provides a few minutes read when it arrives. Other than that I don't get a huge benefit, but then the cost is not that high either (as someone that has "retired" early I pay the unwaged option).

Gilk

Postby Gilk » 22 May 2016, 10:28pm

Just adding a name to list, politics count numbers and if cycling has 100 names and cars 25, then they talk to cycling. Hopfully that will bring with it the benefits of better cycle paths ext.

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 23 May 2016, 7:07am

I'm a member to support the campaigning side. That gives benefits like the Highway Code not saying you should use moronic infrastructure just because it's there, and having the Cyclists Defence Fund to help you out when the motorists centric system we ride in bites.

I've not needed the insurance, but of course that could change on any day.

In summary, I'm in mainly for what CUK does for cycling in general rather than me directly.

Pete.

transmitted from my personal telephony apparatus
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

robgul

Postby robgul » 23 May 2016, 7:29am

Nothing.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker

lingy

Postby lingy » 23 May 2016, 7:31am

Ditto. It seems good value for the insurance but also for all the campaigning work they do on behalf of cyclists. Every cyclist should join either CTC/CUK or if more sport/racing orientated, British Cycling. Preferably both because both these organisations work hard for cycling.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 23 May 2016, 8:11am

Campaigning.
Insurance / third Party liability etc.

Friends within the Clubs / Associations and this online community.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

robc02

Postby robc02 » 23 May 2016, 8:56am

I joined for the insurance and to support its campaigning.

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 23 May 2016, 9:06am

gaz wrote:The members only CTC Maps website is scheduled for closure.

Oh, that's a shame. I did speak to Andy Hawes about the possibility of replacing it with something based on cycle.travel, but of course Andy's no longer at CTC/CUK. (Would still be interested in working on this if anyone at CUK wanted to revive the idea!)

lingy wrote:It seems good value for the insurance but also for all the campaigning work they do on behalf of cyclists. Every cyclist should join either CTC/CUK or if more sport/racing orientated, British Cycling.

...or your local cycle campaign, or (my own choice) support Sustrans, or... :)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 23 May 2016, 9:25am

There seems to be a few common themes as to why people are members.
1. Insurance - there are alternative sources. People I've spoken to take it because of a lack of inertia and a standing order they haven't got around to stopping.
Campaigning- originally I was going to comment perhaps because I live in an idyllic rural region I don't feel any need to support campaigning. Then I remembered I've attended 5 Pedal on Parliaments and donated real money to the cause. So I think I've targeted my campaigning, because I believe it might benefit me, rather than leaving it to other people's priorities.
Maybe I'm a selfish ******* who wants to see some benefit to me. Or maybe I'm so "grey" and long in the tooth I've tried to help so many causes and witnessed once the enthusiasm and interest has waned there is nothing to show for your efforts.
3. Club rides/friendship - a valid point and one which retained my membership longer than it might of. As my local active membership has become so few there are no longer MG calendar rides. We had one yesterday with a good turnout. Arranged by impromptu 'phone calls between friends so I would assume it was not a CUK ride at all.
4. This forum- no need to be a member to participate. My guess is it would die if it tried.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 23 May 2016, 10:24am

I joined because I got into cycle touring via a sustrans trip and wanted to make a contribution back to an organisation that supported touring. Someone to share information through route ideas, gear suggestion, cafe and hotel recommendations and lobby for bikes on trains, planes and ferries etc. I visited the York Rally but do not get involved with local groups. I am also a sustrans supporter who IME have done some good things for kids, beginners, ncn, local solutions etc.

I do like the magazine and this forum. Beyond that I get nothing directly back, but that wasn't why I joined.

honesty

Postby honesty » 23 May 2016, 10:33am

I rather like the magazine...

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 23 May 2016, 10:43am

Nothing any more. The Mag turned into a comic. I left.

Sustrans are in the Times today campaigning for cyclists and pedestrians and are far more effective than Cycling UK. Think I will support them in future.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...