New Facebook Group “Cyclists Touring Club”

Philip Benstead

New Facebook Group “Cyclists Touring Club”

Postby Philip Benstead » 1 Jun 2016, 5:43pm

TO ALL cyclists’ interest in the future of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC).

You may be aware that the Facebook group “Where should the CTC be going” is closing down. I have created a new open Facebook group is called “Cyclists Touring Club”. https://www.facebook.com/groups/CyclistsTouringClub/
(it is quite possible to have many Facebook groups of the same name)

Whatever the result of the poll of the entire club in regard of the re-branding I believe there is still a role for a forum not under the control of the CTC either directly or indirectly where a discussion can take place about the CTC.
It is my personal opinion the CTC Council has lost touch with the current and potential CTC membership. Instead they are attempting to secure the members from section of the potential / current cycling population that will not engage with any cycling organisations except as a customer not as members.

Customers are all well and good if you want just want their money but if the CTC as any future we must get more members to replace our aging committed current membership and not just customers.
At local level we need new members to take on the role of local groups organizers and campaigners.

While at national level we need a new CTC council to replace the current incumbents who appear to lack ability to question and discuss the role and direction of the CTC.
This group will practice free speech - the right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint.

I only ask does the manner you express your view distract the point you are trying to make.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CyclistsTouringClub/

I hope you will join this group to promote a free exchange of ideas so that we can have a influence with in the world of the CTC.

Philip Benstead | FORMER CTC Councillor
Mobile: 0794-980-1698
Email: philipbenstead1@gmail.com
Last edited by Philip Benstead on 1 Jun 2016, 11:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

Heltor Chasca

Re: New Facebook Group “Cyclists Touring Club”

Postby Heltor Chasca » 1 Jun 2016, 5:55pm

Thanks Phillip. Does the CUK control the CTC Forum?

I only ask as years ago I was active on the River Cottage forum. River Cottage had no control of this at all. I don't know if it still exists or not.

Cheers...b

Philip Benstead

Postby Philip Benstead » 1 Jun 2016, 6:05pm

Heltor Chasca wrote:Thanks Phillip. Does the CUK control the CTC Forum?

I only ask as years ago I was active on the River Cottage forum. River Cottage had no control of this at all. I don't know if it still exists or not.

Cheers...b
I think some members of CTC staff have control over this site..
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

meic

Postby meic » 1 Jun 2016, 6:52pm

I think some members of CTC staff have control over this site

Obviously not much! I cant believe they actually like or approve of a lot of what is actually posted, even if they get to pick whether a separate forum heading is or isnt created to try and encourage certain sorts of areas of conversation.

The thread for ONLY positive comments on the rebrand obviously wasnt under much control. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd

mjr

Postby mjr » 2 Jun 2016, 9:09am

meic wrote:I cant believe they actually like or approve of a lot of what is actually posted, even if they get to pick whether a separate forum heading is or isnt created to try and encourage certain sorts of areas of conversation.

They probably don't. If staff and volunteers were actively reviewing and approving posts (rather than reacting to reports), it would be a whole different ball game with a lot more responsibility for the company and its officers... and probably a dead community pretty quickly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

700c

Postby 700c » 2 Jun 2016, 10:18am

Philip Benstead wrote:I have created a new open Facebook group is called “Cyclists Touring Club”. https://www.facebook.com/groups/CyclistsTouringClub/

Open ????

"You must log in to continue."

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 2 Jun 2016, 11:50am

meic wrote:

Obviously not much! :

Doesn't mean there isn't any?
I've a couple of incidences, stored in my memory, of actions taken by a moderator which were one hell of a coincidence or a consequence of an action I'd instigated outwith the forum.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

Barred1

Postby Barred1 » 2 Jun 2016, 11:59am

Paulatic wrote:
meic wrote:

Obviously not much! :

Doesn't mean there isn't any?
I've a couple of incidences, stored in my memory, of actions taken by a moderator which were one hell of a coincidence or a consequence of an action I'd instigated outwith the forum.

Yep - you will recall that Si (a moderator) was asked (ordered?) to make some posts from Cox not long ago - requesting that he not be shot in his role as messenger.

B1
Riding high!

meic

Postby meic » 2 Jun 2016, 12:02pm

Having witnessed the moderation on this site, I can not believe that any of them are towing the corporate line. Though they do enforce the rules which the forum had as a condition of its existence.

In fact one of the moderators, CJ, has been the source of some threads that I dont think the CUK would have welcomed, at all.
Yma o Hyd

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 6 Jun 2016, 11:52am

Heltor Chasca wrote:Does the CUK control the CTC Forum?

Cycling UK operate this forum at arms length. Day-to-day Forum running and moderation is carried out entirely by volunteers. Cycling UK keep in touch with the Forum moderators and offer support and advice as necessary, and Cycling UK pay for the Forum hosting and ongoing maintenance.

The Forum allows constructive debate and criticism of Cycling UK, but the moderators will try to stop discussions degenerating into personal attacks. There is little point in trying to ban debate and criticism here, as there are several other well-used cycling forums where criticism can be aired instead.

Cycling UK benefits from constructive criticism, and from the brand awareness generated by the Forum.