CTC/CUK call for Councillors/Trustees

Graham

Re: CTC/CUK call for Councillors/Trustees

Post by Graham »

Bonefishblues wrote:Why doesn't the CTC re-form as a different organisation?

I'm sure you know this really, even if it has slipped from you ever-present thoughts. . . CTC still exists ( beneath the Cycling UK label ).

To reform it you need to get elected to the council & board of trustees, then you can guide to its new reformed future.

What is your manifesto ??

PS. Well done, PB, for raising the issue.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Graham wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Why doesn't the CTC re-form as a different organisation?

I'm sure you know this really, even if it has slipped from you ever-present thoughts. . . CTC still exists ( beneath the Cycling UK label ).

To reform it you need to get elected to the council & board of trustees, then you can guide to its new reformed future.

What is your manifesto ??

PS. Well done, PB, for raising the issue.

Actually it was a question with no "side" at all as I've not really followed matters tbh. What I have seen is significant disaffection* with the direction of CUK on the Forum so I was asking the question a to whether there was a possibility of an organisation re-forming which was aligned with the CTC's original objectives.

*At least that's how it seems, albeit I am aware that disaffection is more likely to be expressed than contentment.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I presume that I haven't been specially selected & that it has gone to all members, but I've just had an email from David Cox about this.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

RickH wrote:I presume that I haven't been specially selected & that it has gone to all members, but I've just had an email from David Cox about this.

Rick.

So have I! I expect it's just you and me, Rick - we've been selected for our special talents. :-)
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

AndyK wrote:
RickH wrote:I presume that I haven't been specially selected & that it has gone to all members, but I've just had an email from David Cox about this.

Rick.

So have I! I expect it's just you and me, Rick - we've been selected for our special talents. :-)
. I also got a email from David Cox it shows he does not bear grudges?? :D
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Philip Benstead wrote:
AndyK wrote:

Rick.

. I also got a email from David Cox it shows he does not bear grudges?? :D

I didn't. They pestered me about joining for a bit but now don't want me as a Councillor (maybe because they know I'd not be a stooge for any CEOs).

Ian
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

I thought the idea behind the Touring Cyclists Club (see their web site if you are not familiar with this) was to reinvent the old CTC in a more modern form and with a clear focus on touring. I understand that membership will be open from 5th August. I will be interesting to see how it goes - I think it will join.
Si

Post by Si »

steady eddy wrote:I thought the idea behind the Touring Cyclists Club (see their web site if you are not familiar with this) was to reinvent the old CTC in a more modern form and with a clear focus on touring.

Nope, I was told quite clearly that it is not a reinvention of the CTC, but a new club in it's own right that would be offering stuff that the CTC never did and structured in a way that the CC never was.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Si wrote:
steady eddy wrote:I thought the idea behind the Touring Cyclists Club (see their web site if you are not familiar with this) was to reinvent the old CTC in a more modern form and with a clear focus on touring.

Nope, I was told quite clearly that it is not a reinvention of the CTC, but a new club in it's own right that would be offering stuff that the CTC never did and structured in a way that the CC never was.

From the horse's mouth : Steady Eddy's quoted text is closer to reality as envisaged for Touring Cyclists Club - BUT it will be driven by members' suggestions .... which have and are coming in to us, and we welcome more thoughts and ideas.

Rob (& Dennis)
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

ANSWER TO THE QUESTIONS POSED BELOW
From Ian Wescombe
CTC/CUK Councilor/Trustee
Kent
Hello Philip,
How nice to hear from you again.
I’m not a member of the nominations committee so this is a personal observation rather than an official response. I think I can offer you a rational explanation that is nether the cock up or conspiracy that Amiee Swift worries about but just good recruitment policy. I think that the first thing to point out is that the AGM resolution prevents members of less than one year from standing for election, not for being considered for a post as a trustee. The board may appoint up to three trustees without recourse to election or the one year rule so when recruiting new talent it makes good sense to see what skills are available across the full membership.
Trustees of a charity are required be the custodians of the organisations purpose and mission, to set the direction of travel for the charity and to hold the executive to account. To fill this role in Cycling UK requires some skills and knowledge over and above an impressive CV as a bike rider. For example to offer constructive critical advice on the financial management of the organisation a trustee with a background in business finance would be particularly useful.
All of the current trustees have completed a skills audit and we now have a map of the strengths and weaknesses that the board has in its ability to authoritatively support and critique the performance of the executive in the key functions. This map will help to inform the sort of skill set that we need to find within the membership in order to have a balanced board that is capable of doing its job properly when recruiting new trustees.
Now let’s just imagine that we have a vacancy to fill and that the ideal new trustee (from the point of view of balancing the skill set on the board) will have a finance background. We might get a dozen responses and if only one has relevant financial experience the board may choose to make one of its three appointments irrespective of how long ago the member joined. If the one year rule was stated in the advert some very well qualified candidates might not have come forward. If however there is more than one suitably qualified applicant those with more than one year of membership will go on the ballot and those with less will not.
Part of the board’s responsibility is to make sure that it understands the diversity, skills and knowledge needed to be effective, recognises where the gaps are and recruits accordingly. We have a duty to ensure that going forward the board holds a relevant skill set and better represents the UK’s diversity than perhaps it has in the past.
Kind regards
Ian
Please explain the contradiction
CTC AGM 2016
THIS MOTION WAS PASSED
6) Elections to Council
This AGM proposes that candidates must have been fully paid-up members for least a year prior to the closing date for nominations. Candidates shall state on their election address the date they joined CTC and length of time as members.
Proposer's note: There has been concern at the short time some new councilors had been members. Some had been members less than one year.
Candidates must be sufficiently committed/knowledgeable of CTC to be able to comply with the requirement that they can 'represent the full diversity of membership'.
Proposer Tim Court,
Seconder William Goodge

Its been pointed out to me by a CTC members that The agreed AGM resolution has been ignored in the Trustee Application Pack, which makes no reference to any requirement to have been a member for at least a year. It says that nine Trustees simply have to be members and elected.
Also, there are conflicting statements on pages 7 and 12 on the numbers and membership status of board appointed trustees.
Page 7
At least 9 Trustees must be members of Cycling UK, elected by the membership....
In addition, the Board may appoint two further Trustees, who do not have to be members of Cycling UK, - one of which will be the Senior Independent Trustee...
Page 12
The Board has the right to appoint up to three Trustees, who are not members of Cycling UK, to bring a wider perspective and broader experience to Board debates. One of these nonmember Trustees is the Senior Independent Trustee...
Cock up or conspiracy?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic