British Cycling reaches 125,000 members milestone

Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about ... ilestone-0

16 August 2016
British Cycling’s membership has surpassed 125,000 for the first time in the organisation’s history - with 75,000 people adding their support and signing up since London 2012.
The milestone is a significant step for British Cycling, cementing its standing as the largest organisation representing cyclists in Britain.
JOIN BRITISH CYCLING
The achievement has been labelled as evidence that ‘“cycling is truly booming” by Britain’s most successful Olympian and British Cycling member Sir Chris Hoy, with the success of the Great Britain Cycling Team helping to inspire thousands of people to get on their bikes for fun, fitness or competition:
“The fact that 75,000 people have joined British Cycling since 2012 shows that cycling is truly booming.
"I know the inspiration from Rio will compel thousands more to join us. The great thing about cycling is that it offers something for everyone, however you want to ride.”
British Cycling’s membership has grown dramatically since 2005, when it stood at just over 15,000 people. Continuous double-digit growth every year since has contributed to the remarkable figure of 125,000.
British Cycling’s president Bob Howden, said: “This fantastic endorsement from cyclists countrywide is testament to the high quality of service that we aspire to provide our members on a daily basis.
“What an incredible achievement in the week when Britain’s track cyclists are delivering inspirational, world-class performances. To gain 75,000 members in just four years is phenomenal and cycling is truly on an upward curve.
“With help from our principal partner Sky, UK Sport and Sport England, we have had two British Tour de France winners plus an array of Olympic and Paralympic medals and massive growth in participation at all levels.
“In reaching 125,000 members, we have once again highlighted our ability to achieve ambitious targets. With our members’ backing, we will continue to strive for further elite success and more people cycling more often as we continue to make cycling appealing to all.
“I want to thank everyone involved in cycling for their work to get us here today, particularly those who volunteer in the sport. We couldn’t have achieved this milestone without them.”
Celebrating success
image: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/320// ... 288413.png

• More cyclists are participating in more events - there are now over 4,000 cycling events taking place each year with over 300,000 entrants.
• Clubs are booming - British Cycling now has over 2,200 registered cycling clubs, double the number since Beijing 2008.
• The number of members who race has more than doubled since London 2012, increasing from 29.500 to more than 62,000.
• Two thirds of Great Britain’s cyclists in Rio started cycling through Go-Ride – British Cycling’s development programme for young people.
• We have delivered a host of major international events for our members to ensure that fans of cycling in Britain have regular opportunities to see the best riders in the world battle it out on British shores.
• Since 2009, in partnership with Sky, British Cycling has inspired over 1.7 million people to cycle regularly. That’s enough to fill almost 20 Wembley Stadiums.
• British Cycling members won 16 gold medals (eight in the Olympics, eight in the Paralympics) at London 2012. The tally so far at Rio 2016 is four gold medals.
• British Cycling members Sir Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome have won the Tour de France four times between them.

Read more at https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about ... O8pao0V.99
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
al_yrpal

Re: British Cycling reaches 125,000 members milestone

Post by al_yrpal »

Any comparable membership figures for CTC? Is membership booming, flatlining or declining?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

al_yrpal wrote:Any comparable membership figures for CTC? Is membership booming, flatlining or declining?

Al
flat lining /decline at 67,000
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Looking through the old web sites I've gleaned;
The current web site boasts 67,000 members
Back in 2014 it boasted 70,000.
2005 ....55,000

Does seem to vary quite a lot
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ElCampesino

Post by ElCampesino »

In November the figures will change to 69,999 (CTC) and 125,001 (BC).

EC

PS: That's when my membership expires ...
gaz

Post by gaz »

The Cycling UK forum is rarely seen by National Office as a suitable outlet for offical communications from Cycling UK :( .

So if you would like to know Paul Tuohy's views on the matter as it relates to Cycling UK you'll have to read them here :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The figures don't stack up. Is the actual membership number ever scrutinise at an AGM or elsewhere?
Last night Paul Tuohy told the world ( on Twitter anyway) CTC had a membership of 51,000 in 2005 and CUK now has 67000.
Yet the CTC web site in 2005 invites you to come join 55,000 other cyclists. Ah so maybe the figures were based on actual 2004 membership? So if that's the case then surely the 2006 web site will invite you to join the actual 51,000 PT quotes. Wrong it says come join 70,000 other cyclists.

I'm lost, are you? I know ...pick a number any number :D

Edit: to add 2005

E2E info
gaz

Post by gaz »

The membership numbers as at 30th September are quoted in the annual report.

At 30th September 2006 CTC membership stood at 55,516. Source: http://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/ ... report.pdf

I can't find the 2005 annual report on-line and I don't keep back copies of Cycle but I wasn't going to give up that easily.

The 2006 annual report also gives the figures for total income from membership subscriptions for 2005/6 and 2004/5 as £1,289,693 and £1,181,790 quoting average annual subs of £23.23 and £22.25 respectively.

If you do the math the 30th September 2005 figure would be 53,114 (+/-3 for rounding of figures :mrgreen: ).

I'd assume that the last annual report figure is the one generally quoted for "current" membership rather than referring to a monthly spread sheet.

Don't ask me for the figure for September 2004 :wink: .

Edit: May 2007 website figure of 70,000 as quoted by Paulatic.
Last edited by gaz on 18 Aug 2016, 12:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Brilliant Gaz :D

CTC MEMBERSHIP AT 30TH SEPTEMBER 2006 STOOD AT:
Individual members
Local authorities, businesses, clubs, organisations Total
55,350 166 55,516

In May 2007 the web site says.

Our work, which includes high-profile campaigning on behalf of all cyclists, is made possible by your help and support. So why not join 70,000 people united by a passion for cycling and become part of the UK's largest and oldest cycling organisation, and support the work of the newly-formed CTC Charitable Trust?(Registered No. 1104324)

I've worked out they must have a figure of 15000 people in the Local authorities, businesses, clubs, organisations which they include as people. I'll bet that's a guesstimate to bolster what looks like, at first glance, membership figures.

E2E info
DGR

Post by DGR »

British Cycling has 3 categories of membership "race", "ride" and "fan". See https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membe ... 0wodFvYI3w.

The category that "competes" with CTC/Cycling_UK is "ride". A "tipping point" may come if/when British Cycling "ride" membership exceeds CTC/Cycling_UK membership.

I'm not privy to British Cycling membership data, so I don't know how many members British Cycling currently has in the "ride" category.

However, their 2016 annual report is in the public domain at https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi ... igital.pdf. Page 44 says "125,000 ... half who ride for competition and half who ride for leisure or follow the sport as a fan". So they have about 62,500 in "ride" and "fan" categories combined,

It may be interesting to keep an eye out for the British Cycling 2017 annual report, to see if it happens to be more explicit about how many members they have in their "ride" category (and how that total compares with total CTC/Cycling_UK membership).
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

gaz wrote:The Cycling UK forum is rarely seen by National Office as a suitable outlet for offical communications from Cycling UK :( .

So if you would like to know Paul Tuohy's views on the matter as it relates to Cycling UK you'll have to read them here :wink: .

And I agree with everything he says. Good for him for championing the work that Cycling UK does. British Cycling's membership success has been built on the medal success of the Olympics. We'll see what happens when the medals dry up (hopefully not for a long while yet).