Are CTC members happy with the direction of the CTC

Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Are CTC member on this forum happy about what the Council nomination committee going against the wishes of members and breaking their own rules.

On the Facebook group WHERE SHOULD THE CTC BE GOING? There is much disquiet

Or have CTC members on this group have just given up.

Please no excuses for the actions of the nomination committee.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
meic

Re: Are CTC members happy with the direction of the CTC

Post by meic »

Well to be pedantic, there are no longer any CTC members, here, there or anywhere.
Yma o Hyd
Philip Benstead

meic wrote:Well to be pedantic, there are no longer any CTC members, here, there or anywhere.

WHAT IS THIS THEN AT THE BOTTOM OF EVERY CUK PAGE

Patron: Her Majesty The Queen
President: Jon Snow
Chief Executive: Paul Tuohy
Cycling UK is a trading name of Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC) a company limited by guarantee, registered in England no: 25185. Registered as a charity in England and Wales charity no: 1147607 and in Scotland charity no: sco42541. Registered office: Parklands, Railton Road, Guildford, Surrey GU2 9JX.

Copyright © CTC 2016

Terms and Conditions Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Sitemap
meic

Post by meic »

Yep, it is even at the bottom of the page of the CUK membership letter which contained the CUK membership card.

How do you become a member of a "company limited by guarantee", I wonder?

Though I will concede that I am a member of a CTC section or two or three.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

meic wrote: ... How do you become a member of a "company limited by guarantee", I wonder? ...

You just join. With the more usual type of limited company, your liability if it goes bust is limited to losing your whole investment in the company, ie your shares. With a company limited by guarantee, your liability is limited to the amount you guarantee when you join. Before you start sweating that's normally a nominal amount such as a quid.

Before you ask, and even if you don't, one of the most widely reported unlimited set ups was Lloyds Insurance before it was all restructured when it went septic. Famously, Lloyds "names" guaranteed their syndicates' debts to "their last cufflinks." All OK when it was an easy way to make easy money, but no laughing matter with the wolf at the door.

PS If you check, I'm sure I've posted one of my long-winded spiels on this before. :oops:
PPS I've searched and I have at least eight previous posts on the subject. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

No longer a member......
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Philip Benstead wrote:1). Are CTC members happy with the direction of the CTC

2). Are CTC member on this forum happy about what the Council nomination committee going against the wishes of members and breaking their own rules.

3). On the Facebook group WHERE SHOULD THE CTC BE GOING? There is much disquiet

4). Or have CTC members on this group have just given up.

5). Please no excuses for the actions of the nomination committee.

1). There is no longer a CTC to be a member of - and this 'member' of CUK isn't happy.
2). I don't know whether they have actually broken their own rules, but 'going against the wishes of members' has become CTC/CUK norm.
3). I had a weekend job on a farm in my youth, and the wise old gaffer, on hearing that I was attending the local pub for a drink on a Friday evening, said to me : "Jon lad - if the goes into t' middin tha'll get sh.....unmentionable on thi booits" (Middin was the name given to the storage place for the sh....unmentionable before spreading on the land). That's how I feel about facebook et al. I don't do it.
4). Given up what? Personally, I never became active because the set-up is such that those who must have their own way can, will and do get their own way. Not enough members were sufficiently actively interested - including me really. I did express my opinions (not very well, I admit) but when so many members just give the chair their discretionary vote there's really no point. CTC did have to change - cycling and the world around us is changing - but something has been destroyed.
5). I don't think there is any excuse - they'll have their reasons, and chumminess may be part of it. My worry in reading the self-citations submitted by the novice cyclists who are standing is that not one of them mention the real problems and dangers that real, lifelong utility cyclists face every day. Some of them have never been members and the others have not been members long enough for their tea to go cold.

I don't know what course our ship is really on - I know that it's changed direction and that the captain who has changed the direction is now leaving the ship. Does he anticipate that the ship will hit an iceberg and sink? - he's not staying on the bridge long enough to find out. Having said that, I wish him well in the continued campaigning that he says he intends to do - if he can bring about legislation to put Cycleproofing on the statute book and have cyclists considered by local authorities, highway engineers and all decision makers as valid human beings whose lives matter then he'll deserve a knighthood.
ElCampesino

Post by ElCampesino »

In short, no I am deeply unhappy with the latest developments and the inclusion of non-CTC people in the Trustee election (hence blatantly ignoring a AGM motion) has only increased my unhappiness.

I feel no affiliation whatsoever with CUK so will be leaving when my CTC membership expires next month.

It's not the club I joined and not one I want to be a member of.

EC
seph

Post by seph »

Cancelled my membership last night after almost 20 years involvement.
Will use the membership money to join the tcc and vcc, and make a donation to the cyclists defence fund...
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Got an email the other day from my old DA. I say old as I didn't renew my CTC membership in the Spring. The mail is notification of the AGM scheduled soon. All the office bearers are standing down and I really don't think anyone is going to stand up.
CUK is doing nothing for us in this area. Recently awarded £450,000 from the Scottish Government to launch a Scottish Big Bike Revival. They've employed a Developement Officer for the area with a Twitter account which now has the grand total of eleven (includes me) followers. Like the mother (CUK) account there are more 'reply to' and 'retweets' than initiations. Most galling of all he tweets after an event rather than notifying you of an event. Still nothing under 50 miles.
My local bike shop, lovely guy, is now thoroughly miffed with the organisation. He was all lined up to donate a days mechanicing then got mucked about so isn't do anything now.
I think we all know CUK is not the old CTC If i felt they were doing good I'd give them my money. Presently I'm putting my money elsewhere to other cycling groups.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

Paulatic wrote:Got an email the other day from my old DA. I say old as I didn't renew my CTC membership in the Spring. The mail is notification of the AGM scheduled soon. All the office bearers are standing down and I really don't think anyone is going to stand up.

What a shame, do you think it'll be replaced with something else? Is there no interest in a that sort of cycling club or specifically no interest in a CTC Group?
The history of my Member group is that it almost died out at some point in the past, 80s I think, though it might have been 90s. The DA struggled on only just managing to keep the three required officials, with no rides it what would have been my section. Then a couple of enthusiasts, one in particular, kicked the section back into life and it hasn't looked back.
Si

Post by Si »

Yep, ditto Ph with my group in the 80s, early 90s, almost died and then one or two individuals got it going again. Then it grew and grew and grew. However, despite the number of riders going up there was always difficulty in press-ganging anyone onto the committee (they got so desperate that they even had me on it for a while!!!!).

The latest threat has come due to a good number of the members not being happy with it being run in the traditional DA/MG way and wanting it to change it an AF thus giving it more flexibility to do new stuff. The vote was held and the 'traditionalists' won the day by a middling margin. Looks like everyone is still friends after the vote and the group continues to do well....but still sometimes hard work getting new committee members.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I've just left ctc when my membership expired
Philip Benstead

Si wrote:Yep, ditto Ph with my group in the 80s, early 90s, almost died and then one or two individuals got it going again. Then it grew and grew and grew. However, despite the number of riders going up there was always difficulty in press-ganging anyone onto the committee (they got so desperate that they even had me on it for a while!!!!).

The latest threat has come due to a good number of the members not being happy with it being run in the traditional DA/MG way and wanting it to change it an AF thus giving it more flexibility to do new stuff. The vote was held and the 'traditionalists' won the day by a middling margin. Looks like everyone is still friends after the vote and the group continues to do well....but still sometimes hard work getting new committee members.

which group
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Cunobelin wrote:No longer a member......

Same here