Are CTC members happy with the direction of the CTC

landsurfer

Re: Are CTC members happy with the direction of the CTC

Post by landsurfer »

Phillip give it a rest.
Where is this all heading.
The constant sniping, the stirring up of dissent.
Do you believe the CTC will arise from the ashes as a result of your posts
Do you think that the powers that be at CUK will just say "Philips right you know lets just turn back the clock" ..
Of course not.
Why not find something positive to put all your efforts into.
You need to move on , our much loved CTC is gone.... for ever.
And my membership with it.
Throw your qualifications and passion into making something positive happen for cycling in the future .. with AUDAX, the TCC or a similar organisation.

You seem to have more chips on your shoulder than McCains .....

Best regards David
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Its a shame!

The CTC/Cycling UK just hasn't been the same since they got into all this campaigning stuff & then went and got together with the National Cycling Union (better known these days as British Cycling) & formed the "Roads Improvement Association" in 1886! :wink:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

JohnW wrote: ... I don't know what course our ship is really on - I know that it's changed direction and that the captain who has changed the direction is now leaving the ship. Does he anticipate that the ship will hit an iceberg and sink? - he's not staying on the bridge long enough to find out. ...

I'm completely out of touch here. Which captain are you talking about?

viewtopic.php?p=491472#p491472
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank wrote:
JohnW wrote: ... I don't know what course our ship is really on - I know that it's changed direction and that the captain who has changed the direction is now leaving the ship. Does he anticipate that the ship will hit an iceberg and sink? - he's not staying on the bridge long enough to find out. ...

Sorry tc - the chairman, David Cox is retiring/resigning. It is he that I refer to as 'captain of the ship'. It's all in 'Cycle'. He probably feels that it's a job well done and that he needs a rest. Personally I've not liked it all, but I do wish he'd stayed to deal with it if it doesn't all work out.
Last edited by JohnW on 4 Oct 2016, 10:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

I'm delighted with the way Cycling UK is going, and I much prefer the new name.

So there.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mark a. wrote:I'm delighted with the way Cycling UK is going, and I much prefer the new name.

So there.

Please don't misunderstand this Mark - I'm not being facetious or insolent, but what way is CUK is going? CTC to CUK is irrelevant - glad you like it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

JohnW wrote: ... Sorry tc - the chairman, David Cox is retiring/resigning. It is he that I refer to as 'captain of the ship'. It's all in 'Cycle'. He probably feels that it's a job well done and that he needs a rest. Personally I've not liked it all, but I do wish he'd stayed to deal with it if it doesn't all work out.

No need to apologise and thanks for the info. I've not been a member for some time so I don't get the mag: my only interest is that of a taxpayer.
Si

Post by Si »

I'm not delighted with it yet. It's a bit too conservative in it's approach to getting more people cycling. I think the traditional structure of the CTC doesn't really lend it self to the non-"serious cyclist" who can't afford* subs that are almost as much as I spent on my last bike. That's not to say I want to do away with the long standing traditional members, rather I want it to look at ways that better cater for those potential cyclists out there who it doesn't attract....people who just want to ride to work and back, or ride round the park with their kids, etc. The people that we need to get into cycling if we wan to make this a cycle friendly country like the Netherlands.

* 'afford' being a relative term as I'm sure many could afford that much if they had to....but they don't see the value in it for someone in their position
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Si wrote:I'm not delighted with it yet. It's a bit too conservative in it's approach to getting more people cycling. I think the traditional structure of the CTC doesn't really lend it self to the non-"serious cyclist" who can't afford* subs that are almost as much as I spent on my last bike. That's not to say I want to do away with the long standing traditional members, rather I want it to look at ways that better cater for those potential cyclists out there who it doesn't attract....people who just want to ride to work and back, or ride round the park with their kids, etc. The people that we need to get into cycling if we wan to make this a cycle friendly country like the Netherlands.

* 'afford' being a relative term as I'm sure many could afford that much if they had to....but they don't see the value in it for someone in their position

YES

YES

I want the CTC to encourage, support and promote the local groups to engaged with the development of everyday cycling. I know only 1.00 % of ctc members would be interested to activity support this.
But what they are doing now is setting up separate system i.e. community cycling club. Imho these are not sustaining without government and LA funds.

We need to develop the cycling family. Some members narrow view of cycle touring narrated elsewhere on this forum is placing barriers to getting new members.

I know in the past more cyclist may have toured in the sense of overnight joineries but I expect the numbers may have still been say around 2 to 5 % of the cycling population and many would have been upper middle class.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

I certainly won't be renewing. To put up a load of candidate trustees who either aren't even members, or are new member, or how about the person who started riding 4 years ago - so as much cycling experience as a 12 year old. (to be fair may have meant "serious" cycling).

and i joined to suport the organisation more than actually going on rides, but the powers that be are totally on a different wavelength. A shame.
Si

Post by Si »

I know only 1.00 % of ctc members would be interested to activity support this.
But what they are doing now is setting up separate system i.e. community cycling club. Imho these are not sustaining without government and LA funds.

I think it might be more than 1%. We did get a good few people from our local MG (North Birmingham) help with the initiative to get more non- or infrequent-cyclists riding more in my area. Many led beginners rides (3-12 miles, with most around 6), and one or two became bikeability instructors.

I have some involvement with CUK Community Cycling Clubs (despite working for the so-called opposition). True, they do need money to get them going...but I think that they can be made sustainable. The one I'm involved in is still going...it started with some SE money and has lasted longer than most other similar SE funded non-cycling projects.

I'd like to see MGs take a more active role in getting more people cycling. I agree with you that many in MGs don't want to do this themselves - they've paid their subs and just want to ride their bikes with their mates....fair enough. But you'll always find some who are keen, especially if you can show them how rewarding it is and support them in doing it. This is where the CTC framework falls down...for instance compare my Community Group with my MG: both put on rides; Community Group lends people bikes for the rides - MG doesn't; Community Group runs Ditch the Stabilisers for the kids - MG doesn't; Community Group runs adult learn to ride - MG doesn't; Community Group can do basic mechanics courses - MG doesn't, Community Group charges people £0 to participate - MG charges the normal CUK membership.

MG almost because a AG, which would have moved the two groups closer, but people would still have had to demonstrate 3rd party insurance to ride with the AG.

I also find that the Big Bike Revival, while doing some good stuff, is not that accessible to MGs & AGs...even if they have the bike spannering know-how it's hard to take part due to insurance issues and lack of info.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

JohnW wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

Sorry tc - the chairman, David Cox is retiring/resigning. It is he that I refer to as 'captain of the ship'. It's all in 'Cycle'. He probably feels that it's a job well done and that he needs a rest. Personally I've not liked it all, but I do wish he'd stayed to deal with it if it doesn't all work out.

Whoever is the new chair, IMHO there are 4 possible contenders they all have fundamental weakness. I suspect we are going to be in for a roller-coaster ride for say next 2 years.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

I’m not too happy with my CTC membership. The organisation seems to be becoming just another large professional charity staffed by highly paid professional charity types. The trusty vote seems to be a bit of a stitch-up designed to ensure that only one of these charity professionals can succeed and the sacking of Chris Juden is still a source of annoyance.
While I certainly support the aims of CUK I don’t really feel as though I belong here anymore. If I am now to be classed as a charity supporter rather than a club member I think I’d rather make donations to my local cycling campaign and a couple of other groups instead of CUK.
Linking into another currently running topic; I used to think that the magazine was a terrific read but I’m not so sure about that now either. I don’t even read much of the content anymore, the amateur magazines published by Audax UK and the Tandem Club are a far more enjoyable read.
The insurance and legal cover is still a big draw for remaining with CUK, that may not be enough in the future though.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Joe.B wrote:...insurance and legal cover is still a big draw for remaining with CUK, that may not be enough in the future though.

I get my cover through my house insurance but others have said how the LCC(?) cover if far cheaper that CUK membership (though I've not checked it as I have cover through house ...).

Ian
hazychris

Post by hazychris »

My CTC membership runs out soon. It will stay run out.

Me and two kindred spirits have left (all three are current or past committee members, Secretary, Chair, Treasurer, Rides Secretary, Membership Secretary, Webmaster positions covered over 10 years) our current member group on the grounds that CUK has become a closed shop that is an expensive and irrelevant umbrella for participatory cycling clubs. In just 6 weeks we have:
* Decided to start up a new club
* Got banking facilities
* Become a British Cycling affiliated cub - insured officers and volunteers
* Designed ordered and received new club kit
* Been DBS-trained and certified to protect vulnerable members
* Made an excellent website
* Hit 10 members without any promotion or marketing
* Become solvent
* Started a calendar of club rides

It's easy folks - don't let anyone tell you it's too hard. We have control of our member lists, our rules, our future.

CTC / CUK is now irrelevant as a member organisation, and seems to be way behind British Cycling as a campaigning force. R.I.P.

Our new club is at http://www.corallian.cc - if anyone wants any insight or help on how easy it is to have exactly the club you want, let me know.