Are CTC members happy with the direction of the CTC

meic

Re: Are CTC members happy with the direction of the CTC

Post by meic »

Out of curiosity (as I am a long way from your area).
Now that you have gone over to British Cycling have you chosen to or been forced to have a compulsory helmets rule?
I am not sure to what extent BC make helmet use compulsory.
Yma o Hyd
hazychris

Post by hazychris »

No compulsory helmets. BC have been like a breath of fresh air - professional, organised and pragmatic.
meic

Post by meic »

That's good news. :D

But they dont have as good a forum. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

hazychris wrote:Our new club is at http://www.corallian.cc - if anyone wants any insight or help on how easy it is to have exactly the club you want, let me know.

Excellent website, I can see that attracting a wide range of cyclists.
wahoofish

Post by wahoofish »

Philip Benstead wrote:
JohnW wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
I'm completely out of touch here. Which captain are you talking about?

viewtopic.php?p=491472#p491472

Sorry tc - the chairman, David Cox is retiring/resigning. It is he that I refer to as 'captain of the ship'. It's all in 'Cycle'. He probably feels that it's a job well done and that he needs a rest. Personally I've not liked it all, but I do wish he'd stayed to deal with it if it doesn't all work out.

Whoever is the new chair, IMHO there are 4 possible contenders they all have fundamental weakness. I suspect we are going to be in for a roller-coaster ride for say next 2 years.

For someone with so many opinions, mostly critical and denigrating of others, I presume that you are standing for election in order to show how it should be done.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Uh oh...
gaz

Post by gaz »

wahoofish wrote:For someone with so many opinions, mostly critical and denigrating of others, I presume that you are standing for election in order to show how it should be done.

PB has been an elected Councillor 1992-1994, 1996-1998, 2003-2007, 2013 - 2015 (or thereabouts). He stood for election in 2015 but was not succesful and was nominated for election in 2016.

If you read some of PB's other threads you will discover that he is aggrieved that the Nomoinations Committee do not appear to have followed the expected selection process for the 2016 elections.

There is no doubt in my mind that PB has every right to raise such criticism.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
robgul

Post by robgul »

hazychris wrote:My CTC membership runs out soon. It will stay run out.

Me and two kindred spirits have left (all three are current or past committee members, Secretary, Chair, Treasurer, Rides Secretary, Membership Secretary, Webmaster positions covered over 10 years) our current member group on the grounds that CUK has become a closed shop that is an expensive and irrelevant umbrella for participatory cycling clubs. In just 6 weeks we have:
* Decided to start up a new club
* Got banking facilities
* Become a British Cycling affiliated cub - insured officers and volunteers
* Designed ordered and received new club kit
* Been DBS-trained and certified to protect vulnerable members
* Made an excellent website
* Hit 10 members without any promotion or marketing
* Become solvent
* Started a calendar of club rides

It's easy folks - don't let anyone tell you it's too hard. We have control of our member lists, our rules, our future.

CTC / CUK is now irrelevant as a member organisation, and seems to be way behind British Cycling as a campaigning force. R.I.P.

Our new club is at http://www.corallian.cc - if anyone wants any insight or help on how easy it is to have exactly the club you want, let me know.

Brilliant - if I didn't live in the Midlands I'd join :)

- but then we have done pretty much the same thing with Heart of England Cycling Club (was CTC HoE) with the changeover from MG to proper club in September 2015 - we've just added affiliation to British Cycling (in parallel to CTC/CUK for 12 months with a view to a permanent change) . . . and club windproof gilets will be delivered at the end of this week!

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
hazychris

Post by hazychris »

Thanks Rob - your club's change was an inspiration point for us, so we owe you... if you're ever down in South Oxfordshire and fancy a ride, I dare say we could extend you an honorary guest pass :wink:
wahoofish

Post by wahoofish »

gaz wrote:
wahoofish wrote:For someone with so many opinions, mostly critical and denigrating of others, I presume that you are standing for election in order to show how it should be done.

PB has been an elected Councillor 1992-1994, 1996-1998, 2003-2007, 2013 - 2015 (or thereabouts). He stood for election in 2015 but was not succesful and was nominated for election in 2016.

If you read some of PB's other threads you will discover that he is aggrieved that the Nomoinations Committee do not appear to have followed the expected selection process for the 2016 elections.

Point taken. Thanks for the update
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

i found this a interesting given CTC current siituration

viewtopic.php?p=491472#p491718
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
GPC

Post by GPC »

Renewed household membership, sent out some Crimbo gift memberships. Pretty happy with direction particularly campaigning, lobbying and contribution to government document consultations, attending CTC tour during summer, maybe a couple of tours.
GPC

Post by GPC »

gaz wrote:

I believe Philip supported the name change, I think he was the seconder of the motion to change the name from CTC and that he was a Councillor when it was agreed by Council that it should change the name. For the record the decision was announced in Cycle magazine around two years ago or so.
gaz

Post by gaz »

GPC wrote:I believe Philip supported the name change, I think he was the seconder of the motion to change the name from CTC and that he was a Councillor when it was agreed by Council that it should change the name. For the record the decision was announced in Cycle magazine around two years ago or so.

Didn't you know, Philip changed his mind. For the record Philip's last period on Council ended 31st December 2015. Council approved the rebrand as Cycling UK on 23 Jan 2016.

The announcement in Dec 2013 edition of Cycle has also been discussed previously.

Incidentally I'm a member and I am broadly happy with the direction Cycling UK is taking.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Didn't renew when I found that the CTC was more interested in campaigning than touring. CUK is just silly. Its not even grammatically correct. Waste of good campaigning money for no reason.