CANDIDATES FOR THE CTC/CUK ELECTION

mjr

Re: CANDIDATES FOR THE CTC/CUK ELECTION

Post by mjr »

Barred1 wrote:Why? - the horse has bolted . . . and is now almost certainly dead.

It may help those who still have membership-led cycling organisations to learn what may be signs of democratic distress.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

Given that these are public appointments, announced at the time, I doubt there would be any data protection issues.

This is a much more dramatic approach than just asking, of course...
greenroad

Post by greenroad »

Phil_Chadwick wrote:Given that these are public appointments, announced at the time, I doubt there would be any data protection issues.

This is a much more dramatic approach than just asking, of course...
I think if you ask for a list of local group contacts they will quote data protection

Fred
PH

Post by PH »

greenroad wrote:I think if you ask for a list of local group contacts they will quote data protection Fred

They're published in Cycle.
greenroad

Post by greenroad »

PH wrote:
greenroad wrote:I think if you ask for a list of local group contacts they will quote data protection Fred

so what is wrong giving a list?
PH

Post by PH »

greenroad wrote:
PH wrote:

so what is wrong giving a list?

I don't know.
What's wrong with looking in Cycle?
Or on the website
http://www.cyclinguk.org/local-groups

I can tell you people do contact our group from both (and numbers from the website have gone up since the re-branding) I can also tell you that Phillip had no problem finding that information.
Maybe member groups don't want their details on a list handed out to anyone who asks. Maybe they would need to consent to that before it happened. Maybe they already get enough spam. But any suggestion that the information isn't there and easy to find would be nonsense.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

PH wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Are 'membership' numbers declining? Who knows?
Al

I don't know either. Of course since the charity conversion it hasn't been an organisation that only caters for it's members, it isn't permitted to be. I'm sure they'd like more members, but it'd be a bit disappointing if that was the only way they were measuring success. I don't think anyone can have failed to notice the number of new cyclists joining and posting on this forum. The number of redirects from the new Cycling UK website to my MGs one is at least a third higher than it ever was from the CTCs. Too early to know if this will have a lasting effect on membership and participation and certainly too early to write it off.

The answer is a definite yes.
Jim Brown a candidate for the chair says
Our membership has declined continuously for the last five years," he said.

He then goes on to echo a lot of concerns voiced on here.
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/cyclin ... ate/020617
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote:
PH wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Are 'membership' numbers declining? Who knows?
Al

I don't know either. Of course since the charity conversion it hasn't been an organisation that only caters for it's members, it isn't permitted to be. I'm sure they'd like more members, but it'd be a bit disappointing if that was the only way they were measuring success. I don't think anyone can have failed to notice the number of new cyclists joining and posting on this forum. The number of redirects from the new Cycling UK website to my MGs one is at least a third higher than it ever was from the CTCs. Too early to know if this will have a lasting effect on membership and participation and certainly too early to write it off.

The answer is a definite yes.
Jim Brown a candidate for the chair says
Our membership has declined continuously for the last five years," he said.

He then goes on to echo a lot of concerns voiced on here.
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/cyclin ... ate/020617

From reading your link and what the candidate is saying I can imagine all sorts of behind the scenes steps being taken to elect anybody else.

Ian
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

Looks like the death knell for Jim's attempt - is the list of candidates published anywhere? - is Dan Howard applying?

B1
Riding high!
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

Any signs of white smoke from Guildford?

B1
Riding high!
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

Barred1 wrote:Any signs of white smoke from Guildford?

B1

BikeBiz mag is reporting that it's Howard to succeed Cox.

B1
Riding high!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Barred1 wrote:Any signs of white smoke from Guildford?

http://www.cyclinguk.org/news/20170123- ... vice-chair
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gaz

Post by gaz »

E-mail received today.
A letter from Dan Howard, Chair Cycling UK wrote:Dear .

There have been some recent changes within the Board of Cycling UK and as the new Chair I’d like to take this opportunity to update all member group secretaries and representatives.

I was delighted to be selected as Chair, taking over from David Cox, and I look forward to working alongside our new Vice-Chair Jaki Lowe and the rest of the Board. Following elections last autumn, we welcomed two new Trustees, Janet Atherton and Rachel Kirkwood as well as our Senior Independent Trustee Julian Hubbert.

Cycle touring is important to me and was my reason for joining Kidderminster CTC when I was 12 years old. In the 26 years since I’ve taken part in touring day rides, longer tours around the world and audax rides. I know how valuable local groups are - it’s amazing that last year our member groups organised around 13,000 rides in total. The Trustees appreciate everything you do to support cycling in your local area.

We wanted to let you know that the team at National Office in Guildford are able to support the activities of your group in a range of ways – publicity, promotional merchandise, advice and training. They can be contacted groups@cyclinguk.org. Other useful information can be found on our Support for Cycling Groups page.

In 2017, Cycling UK will be co-ordinating a series of national challenge rides and also running Bike Week so these are two additional ways your group could get involved and maybe help promote cycling to a new audience in your area.

We are keen to keep members updated and Cycling UK will continue to do this through CycleClips (our weekly e-mail bulletin) and our magazine Cycle. In addition, the Board agreed to provide a summary of key decisions made at each meeting and circulate it via CycleClips shortly afterwards.

Please feel free to pass this message on to your local members and thank you again for your valuable work and being part of our great organisation.

Best wishes,

Dan
Dan Howard
Chair of Trustees Cycling UK
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Spot the deliberate (?) error. :shock:
gaz

Post by gaz »

The cut and paste is accurate, I've checked with the original. Here's hoping Dr Huppert won't take it personally :wink: .