viewtopic.php?p=37707#p37707
PrestonCyclist

Re: CANDIDATES FOR THE CTC/CUK ELECTION

Post by PrestonCyclist »

This post last week on Facebook might explain his suspension

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PrestonCyclist wrote:This post last week on Facebook might explain his suspension
. . . . . . . . . .

Looks to me like the CTC/CUK have massively overreacted. You'd normally expect people in such high office to be more balanced but if they are looking for excuses they they don't really have one but I doubt that will stop them.

But they are looking rather pathetic in their reaction. And it will make them look stupid in the eyes of the cycling community (again, oops, too late).

Ian
Wemmick

Post by Wemmick »

meic wrote:Much as I would have loved Skidd to be permanently excluded and found Phillip Benstead's posts so incomprehensible due to a lack of attention to what he had actually typed.
It wasnt really the "done thing" to gag critics in this way, well it wasnt until we became a modern inclusive charity and the best way to be inclusive is to exclude all the old dinosaurs.

I agree, but people in glass houses...
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

Psamathe wrote:
Looks to me like the CTC/CUK have massively overreacted.

Since it's virtually impossible to parse meaning from most of PB's communications, and often unclear to what extent what he says is reality or fantasy, I've a degree more sympathy with them than I might have had if someone else had been involved. He's also pretty close to being a vexatious complainant, and I can imagine that corporate goodwill towards him is almost non-existent.

Of course he has a perfect right to do what he does. And I have a perfect right to think his actions are, on the whole, counter-productive. I was unclear which way to vote on the charity transition, but the awful behaviour of one or two of the people opposed convinced me that i really didn't wish to be on the same side as them.
PH

Post by PH »

If anyone went around saying they bugged an organisations meetings, it'd be pretty hard to say the organisation suspending them wasn't a reasonable action.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Why is it reasonable for all C-UK meetings to be held in secret by default?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
gaz

Post by gaz »

The CTC website used to openly advise that members wishing to observe meetings could arrange to do so: https://web.archive.org/web/20150906102 ... l/meetings

There are a few reports from observers among the many posts on this forum. AIUI observers were not allowed to observe "confidential" matters, usually those deemed to be "commercially sensitive".

Such provision is no longer advertised: http://www.cyclinguk.org/about/cycling- ... d/meetings

As a result I do not know if observers are still allowed.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

I suspect it may be a freedom that was lost because it was abused by a tiny minority.
gaz

Post by gaz »

IMO it's unlikely that it was abused and also unlikely to have been lost. Hidden perhaps but not actually taken away. I will enquire.

Enquiry:
Can I please enquire as to whether members can still attend Council meetings as observers.

The facility is no longer mentioned on the website. I am simply seeking to clarify the position rather than arranging to attend.

Reply:
The facility is there if you are interested in becoming a Trustee.

:|
Last edited by gaz on 7 Nov 2016, 7:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
greenroad

Post by greenroad »

Phil_Chadwick wrote:I suspect it may be a freedom that was lost because it was abused by a tiny minority.
. Explain?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:But I'm not a member of the CTC/CUK so am I banned as well. Or do a different set of rules apply on the forum to CTC/CUK members and non-members ? So if I carry out an act that is contrary to the rules of the CTC/CUK (even though I'm not a member) but that has nothing to do with the forum will the CTC/CUK have me banned from the forum ?

Yeah, as CTC/CUK membership is not required to participate here, this does smack of CTC/CUK exceeding their powers to silence a critic rather than address the criticism... which won't work because there are plenty of websites that won't be silenced by them. It could even result in a Streisand effect, as I'm sure there are plenty of people who are happy to quote PB from other sites onto here and others.

At least if they kept him posting on here, they'd probably be among the first to see the criticism but now they've made it very plain that if you want a balanced view of CTC/CUK, you cannot trust this forum.

I suspect Psamathe and I have both broken some rule, but I can't check that because while the constitution is still on http://www.cyclinguk.org/about-ctc/poli ... -and-rules the "and rules" seem to have gone missing? Taken down for a rewrite to ensure PB's kicked out, perhaps? :twisted:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mjr wrote:............(1) - this does smack of CTC/CUK exceeding their powers to silence a critic rather than address the criticism........................(2) - they'd probably be among the first to see the criticism.................(3) - but now they've made it very plain that if you want a balanced view of CTC/CUK, you cannot trust this forum.................:

(1) - My thoughts also.
(2) - I don't think that 'They-Who-Must-Have-Their-Own-Way' are interested enough in members' views to read the forum - can't take criticism?
(3) - .........I don't trust the trustees.

Edited for a spelling mistake.
Graham57

Post by Graham57 »

[quote][/quote]I would be grateful if somebody could put this on the CTC Forum

Dear All

I am trying compile a full list of election results for the CTC council for at least the past 20 years if possible.

Why, to see if the degree of attractiveness to stand for the CTC COUNCIL has change over that time.

You may ask why not ask CTC HQ, I would be surprise if they would give them to me data protection you know?
QUESTION

Does anybody have complete set of the CTC magazine in it various formats.

I need a list of candidate for teach election, they should be in August /September editions

I also need the full results, they would normally be in October /November edition

I am after a PDF searchable scan of the pages and sent via email.
Can anybody help?
If yes please send to philipbenstead1@gmail.como
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

Graham57 wrote:
I would be grateful if somebody could put this on the CTC Forum

Dear All

I am trying compile a full list of election results for the CTC council for at least the past 20 years if possible.

Why, to see if the degree of attractiveness to stand for the CTC COUNCIL has change over that time.

You may ask why not ask CTC HQ, I would be surprise if they would give them to me data protection you know?
QUESTION

Does anybody have complete set of the CTC magazine in it various formats.

I need a list of candidate for teach election, they should be in August /September editions

I also need the full results, they would normally be in October /November edition

I am after a PDF searchable scan of the pages and sent via email.
Can anybody help?
If yes please send to philipbenstead1@gmail.como

Why? - the horse has bolted . . . and is now almost certainly dead.

B1
Riding high!