CANDIDATES FOR THE CTC/CUK ELECTION

honesty

Re: CANDIDATES FOR THE CTC/CUK ELECTION

Post by honesty »

The bl**dy facebook group. You keep on mentioning the facebook group, like its some paragon of shining virtue and true. Do you know exactly how annoying it is to be reading one forum only to be constantly referenced some place else (and a flipping Facebook group at that) all because of some bull idea that you'd be censored here. Maybe just maybe you'd be censored here because it's a load of unfounded guff verging on libelous eh? (Also do you know how annoying it is to rant without being able to swear? ;) )
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

honesty wrote:The bl**dy facebook group. You keep on mentioning the facebook group, like its some paragon of shining virtue and true. Do you know exactly how annoying it is to be reading one forum only to be constantly referenced some place else (and a flipping Facebook group at that) all because of some bull idea that you'd be censored here. Maybe just maybe you'd be censored here because it's a load of unfounded guff verging on libelous eh? (Also do you know how annoying it is to rant without being able to swear? ;) )

HA HA Learn to love Facebook, the type people on that site identical to this forum
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
PH

Post by PH »

honesty wrote:The bl**dy facebook group.

It's a very small group, it had/has some prominent members though most are now seeing it as an irrelevance and moving on. It came about as a reaction to the treatment of CJ, whatever it was it hoped to achieve it soon became obvious that it couldn't.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Having looked at the candidates it is good to see a triathlete does far fewer rides than I do.
Not much hope with this lot at the helm but as long as they keep well away from the local groups so that we can still function as a club I guess it will be fine. They can get on with campaigning and we can wander round the lanes.
PH

Post by PH »

I've voted, on the basis of who I think would be best in the position, only problem choosing was narrowing it down to three, I can see many people looking at that list, think they all look capable and not voting on that basis.
colin mitchell

Post by colin mitchell »

I'm against anyone standing who is not a current member. Will not vote for any in this category. Quite disgraceful if there have really been members stopped from applying. What are the grounds?
Philip Benstead

colin mitchell wrote:I'm against anyone standing who is not a current member. Will not vote for any in this category. Quite disgraceful if there have really been members stopped from applying. What are the grounds?

I think the nomination committee did not want ctc members being confused with to many candidates.

Date: 20 September 2016 at 14:21:41 BST
To: <CyclingUK_Board@cyclinguk.org>
Subject: Confidential - Nominations Committee

We discussed and considered these issues in depth. For clarity, rather than paraphrasing I’m going to copy and paste the text which will appear on the voting form. All of the candidates who appear on the voting form have been endorsed by the Nominations committee. Other members of the Board may have similar queries so I’ve copied this response to everyone.

“At least 9 Trustees must be members of Cycling UK, elected by the membership. In addition, the Board may appoint 3 further Trustees, who do not have to be members of Cycling UK – one of whom will be the Senior Independent Trustee. The way we do this changed in 2016 following our governance review:
* Members who wish to stand for election were invited to submit an application. The Board’s Nominations Committee assessed their application
and considered the degree to which they have the personal qualities, skills and experience required; and how well they would complement the existing
skill mix on the Board.
* Details of the candidates, their election statement and the Nominations Committee’s views are contained within a separate form enclosed with Cycle.
* Every member has one vote per vacancy.
* There is one UK-wide constituency.
* Voting is done by post or online. To help us keep our costs down please vote online.
* Should a candidate withdraw during the election process the votes for this candidate will be void.

The Nominations Committee is pleased to report that there was an unprecedented number of high quality applications to join the Board. The applications were
screened by the Committee following the thorough process agreed by the Board. The candidates put forward for election below all exceeded the criteria in the
person specification by demonstrating two or more of the additional skills, qualities and characteristics we specified, which relate to:

1. the legal frameworks in the devolved nations which affect sustainable transport, health and wellbeing
2. marketing communications skills, and specifically an interest in digital strategy
3. experience of operational and risk management
4. commercial experience with a particular focus on organisational growth and/or income generation
5. encouraging application from younger people/ women / ethnic minorities to
ensure our Board is as diverse and inclusive as possible

The Nominations Committee also considered how best to resolve two motions passed at the 2016 AGM.

The membership approved the recommendations of the governance review in the form proposed by the Board, which required that at least 9 Trustees be elected by the membership and provided for other members to be recruited from outside the membership as co-optees or to fulfil the role of Senior Independent Trustee, provided that they became members of Cycling UK on taking office as Trustees. At the same meeting, the membership also passed a motion proposed from the wider membership that candidates for election as Trustees should have been members for at least 12 months.

Since all 9 of the current Trustees were elected by the membership, the Board could have filled the 2 vacancies for general Trustees by co-opting individuals. However, the Board and the Committee are keen to ensure that members have the opportunity to elect the new Trustees and to choose from the best candidates.

The committee has identified 4 excellent candidates for election who have been members of the charity for over 12 months. The committee also identified 6 similarly excellent candidates who do not meet that criteria. Having reviewed the applications, the committee felt that in the best interests of the charity and in light of the uncertain effect of the resolutions, members should be offered the opportunity to vote for these exceptional candidates whether or not they have been members for over 12 months. Those who have been members for over 12 months are clearly identified on the voting paper.”

Best wishes,

Dan

Sent: 20 September 2016 12:22
To: CyclingUK_Board@cyclinguk.org
Subject: Confidential - Nominations Committee

Hi everyone,

As chair of our nominations committee I wanted to update you on progress with selection to our three Board vacancies. We currently have two Trustee and one Senior Independent Trustee vacant roles.
Over the summer we advertised and the closing date for nominations was 31st August. We had 50 responses and we were hugely impressed with the quantity of people who responded but more importantly the quality of candidates was really exceptional. Members of the nominations committee scored each candidate against the agreed criteria taking into account the skills and experience were are seeking and we then went through a process of moderation to ensure scoring was consistent.

I am delighted to report we shortlisted ten candidates for the two Trustees roles and two candidates for the one Senior Independent Trustee role. Candidates have provided their statements, appropriate governance checks have taken place and ballot papers will appear in the next issue of Cycle which is due to arrive with members next week. Members then have until 31st October to vote for the three candidates they wish to see join our Board and the results will be known shortly after 7th November. We are keen to get as much member engagement as possible through voting and we’ll encourage this through Cycleclips and our usual social media channels.

Please let me know if you have any queries and I will continue to keep you updated in due course as the election progresses.

Best wishes,

Dan

Dan Howard
Vice Chair
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Death before Facebook.

I instinctively ignore any organisation that requires me to be a member of Faceberk to interact with them.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

landsurfer wrote:Death before Facebook.

I instinctively ignore any organisation that requires me to be a member of Faceberk to interact with them.

Likewise
Philip Benstead

This may be the cultural clash facing the Cyclists’ Touring Club.

I accept the success or otherwise of a particular cycling group is some time matter of perception but in some part of the UK the CTC LOCAL GROUPS ARE DYING.
They fail to fully embrace social media and fail put on short rides say under 20 miles.

I understand that some consider Facebook a waste of time but why are they on the CTC forum, alternatively may consider Facebook synonymous with junk mail.

So how do we square this circle?
PH

Post by PH »

Philip Benstead wrote:So how do we square this circle?

Well, you could start by being less negative.
Philip Benstead

PH wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:So how do we square this circle?

Well, you could start by being less negative.

that is not a answer
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Philip Benstead wrote:...
I understand that some consider Facebook a waste of time but why are they on the CTC forum, alternatively may consider Facebook synonymous with junk mail....

Facebook is a commercial operation making massive profits ... and the "product" they are offering is you (their members). I have no wish to have Facebook track me, scan my communications, monitor my activities, etc. all so they can add me to their product offering (to their customers). Many do still value their online privacy and chose not to subject themselves to Facebooks invasions of privacy.

And whilst Facebook are not alone in behaving like this, Social media is definitely worse. For example, Google try to behave in a similar manner but accept that some wont tolerate it and accept blocking (they have even developed and provide some blocking extensions themselves (as in Google themselves not 3rd parties through Google)).

So Facebook/"Social Media" are very different from private forums.

Ian
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The security services all over the world could never have dreamed in the level of self surveillance carried out by people on Faceberk.
A dream of any police or security service.
1984 never even thought about this level of self spying.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
RickH

Post by RickH »

FWIW as a regular Facebook user I find it good for keeping in contact with a few friends & relations (a bit like Christmas card updates but more frequent). Also some useful cycling (& other interest) groups I find useful.

I joined the group mentioned above & left again after a few days. It was too like this part of the forum & one was quite enough for me! :?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.