CANDIDATES FOR THE CTC/CUK ELECTION

Psamathe

Re: CANDIDATES FOR THE CTC/CUK ELECTION

Postby Psamathe » 5 Nov 2016, 9:23pm

Graham57 wrote:Philip Bensted has been banned from posting in the forum, he Wishes you to know he has not given up

You can se more of his views on Facebook 'where should CTC be going'

Banned - why ? I've not seen any posts that are inappropriate

Ian

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 5 Nov 2016, 9:52pm

Psamathe wrote:
Graham57 wrote:Philip Bensted has been banned from posting in the forum...............

Banned - why ? I've not seen any posts that are inappropriate

Ian

Perhaps because he was getting a bit too near to the real truth. Philip was certainly tenacious, to the point of obsession and upsetting himself - but he was a voice in the wilderness.

Personally I thought his posts, although sometime muddled, were very appropriate - more appropriate than David Cox's e-mailed pleas to me (and probably all of us) to divert some of my income tax.

Philip is in good company as recipient of uncharitable treatment.

Graham

Postby Graham » 6 Nov 2016, 9:27am

Psamathe wrote:Banned - why ? I've not seen any posts that are inappropriate

Cycling UK National Office wrote:Following the Board meeting on Saturday 22 October, a formal complaint has been received and is being investigated. An independent investigation is being conducted and a report will be made to the Board of Trustees. In view of the seriousness of the complaint and in accordance with the Disciplinary Procedure for Members and Volunteers a member has been suspended from offices within the charity during the investigation.

That is all the only information that forum staff have. We have been instructed to prevent him from posting.

Any enquiries to Cycling UK National Office.

sjs

Postby sjs » 6 Nov 2016, 9:42am

Wow. So glad I didn't renew.

greenroad

Postby greenroad » 6 Nov 2016, 9:59am

Graham wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Banned - why ? I've not seen any posts that are inappropriate

Cycling UK National Office wrote:Following the Board meeting on Saturday 22 October, a formal complaint has been received and is being investigated. An independent investigation is being conducted and a report will be made to the Board of Trustees. In view of the seriousness of the complaint and in accordance with the Disciplinary Procedure for Members and Volunteers a member has been suspended from offices within the charity during the investigation.

That is all the only information that forum staff have. We have been instructed to prevent him from posting.

We must not mention Godwin law here then?

Barred1

Postby Barred1 » 6 Nov 2016, 10:10am

The Forum has always been deemed to be separate from CTC/CUK HQ so how come a ban can be enforced when it's not "offices within the charity"

B1
Riding high!

greenroad

Postby greenroad » 6 Nov 2016, 11:31am

Barred1 wrote:The Forum has always been deemed to be separate from CTC/CUK HQ so how come a ban can be enforced when it's not "offices within the charity"

B1

The law has been changed?

gaz

Postby gaz » 6 Nov 2016, 11:37am

The forum has never been deemed to be separate from CTC/Cycling UK National Office.

It is paid for by CTC/Cycling UK and run at arms length.

Among examples of CTC/Cycling UK exercising its control are instructions for the Charity Debate boards to be set up and more recently for the rebranding of the boards.

There has been at least one case where a thread was locked (removed?) pending the outcome of a formal complaint to CTC. I am not aware of a precedent for CTC/Cycling UK instructing the moderators to suspend a forum user.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

meic

Postby meic » 6 Nov 2016, 11:58am

Much as I would have loved Skidd to be permanently excluded and found Phillip Benstead's posts so incomprehensible due to a lack of attention to what he had actually typed.
It wasnt really the "done thing" to gag critics in this way, well it wasnt until we became a modern inclusive charity and the best way to be inclusive is to exclude all the old dinosaurs.

Possibly he said something "totally unacceptable" under the latest PC regime, who knows?
His "crime" may be totally unrelated to his criticism of CUK and just really opportune for getting rid of a thorn in the side.

Phillip Benstead may well be knocking on Ecuador's Embassy door as we type.
Yma o Hyd

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 6 Nov 2016, 12:15pm

The real pity is that nobody saw fit to challenge what PB he was saying, rather than pull the plug. Beyond that, it's a pity that nobody thought it worth posting openly to announce what was happening, not least because this way just fuels speculation.

I presume it's only a matter of time before any posts about cycling organisations have to be submitted for approval.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 6 Nov 2016, 12:18pm

thirdcrank wrote:...
I presume it's only a matter of time before any posts about cycling organisations have to be submitted for approval.

Or about campaigns e.g. "Should there be campaigns for minimum passing clearance". such discussions could make the CUK look stupid ... ooops, too late.

Ian

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 6 Nov 2016, 1:54pm

I met PB on a national 400 many years ago. He is passionate about cycling and getting others cycling
I can't say I've ever read all his posts because of the long rambling unstructured nature of them.
He has made some relevant points over his posts and the fact CUK may feel offended by his ramblings backs up some of his opinion. It makes me so glad I'm not funding CUK anymore and it looks bad for the CUK.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 6 Nov 2016, 2:23pm

Graham wrote:......

What would happen if the volunteer forum staff/moderators said no, if you wish such actions, you (C-UK) must do them directly yourselves?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

Si

Postby Si » 6 Nov 2016, 2:42pm

It should be noted that it was not his criticism of CUK on the forum that led to this "temporary suspension" of his account. Rather, AIUI, his suspension is just part of a general suspension from CUK for an alleged act that was contrary to the rules of CUK membership (rather than contrary to forum membership).

As you may have noticed, Philip has freely made robust criticism of elements of CTC/CUK for quite some time on the forum without being ejected, as have many others, thus demonstrating that as long as criticism is civil and constructive there are no issues. However, it does no one any good, least of all Philip himself, to wildly speculate about the underlying issues.

We hope that the case can be cleared up ASAP and Philip can resume posting on the forum again as, although sometimes difficult to follow, we (the forum staff) believe that he did make some valid points and that he had the welfare of CUK at heart (even if we may not have always agreed on the best avenue of action to get there).

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 6 Nov 2016, 4:38pm

Si wrote:It should be noted that it was not his criticism of CUK on the forum that led to this "temporary suspension" of his account. Rather, AIUI, his suspension is just part of a general suspension from CUK for an alleged act that was contrary to the rules of CUK membership (rather than contrary to forum membership).....

But I'm not a member of the CTC/CUK so am I banned as well. Or do a different set of rules apply on the forum to CTC/CUK members and non-members ? So if I carry out an act that is contrary to the rules of the CTC/CUK (even though I'm not a member) but that has nothing to do with the forum will the CTC/CUK have me banned from the forum ?

Seems they are applying a different set of forum rules to CTC/CUK members as for non-members - which smells rather strongly of vindictive behaviour on the part of the CTC/CUK.

Ian