The, used to be, CTC magazine.

bigjim

The, used to be, CTC magazine.

Post by bigjim »

I used to look forward to the CTC mag dropping through my door. Latest issue arrived yesterday. I don't know why I bothered opening it. It seems to my jaded, cynical eyes to be lot of political stuff, much MTB articles, bit of family news. A lot of reviews of ridiculously priced equipment that is way beyond anything I would consider spending. There was something about bikes for poor people and immigrants. Very laudable sure, but why in the CTC? I thought it was like reading a Guardian magazine without the interesting stuff. I think there was a bit of touring on the last page. Oh and an exhortation to buy raffle tickets.
In contrast a club member leant me some 1950s/60s CTC mags. Lovely reading of various trips, very well written and great sketches.
I'm now considering not renewing my CTC membership and looking for the insurance benefits elsewhere but I don't want to stop riding with the CTC. Shame :(
mercalia

Re: The, used to be, CTC magazine.

Post by mercalia »

its like every thing - incl the YHA - now it means the Yuppies Hostel Association or Young Families Hostel Association or Your schools Hostel Association, or come in Your car Hostel Assocation, sign of the times.
Last edited by mercalia on 28 Sep 2016, 9:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

bigjim wrote: It seems ... to be lot of political stuff, much MTB articles, bit of family news. A lot of reviews of ridiculously priced equipment that is way beyond anything I would consider spending.

Just like all the other special interest comics, in other words. They typically derive a significant portion of their income from "reviewing" new products, but always manage never to have a "lemon" on their hands - it's all good kit - you know you need it... :roll: :lol:
Last edited by Graham on 29 Sep 2016, 11:03am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quotation correction
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

The magazine is a bit like junk mail from any other charity now.
PH

Post by PH »

I think someone's getting the wrong magazine. I'm keeping mine for a train journey next week, but a quick flick through and page count shows that of the 46 non advert pages there's
1 of editorial and content
13 specifically about touring - though some are whole page photos.
13 of reviews,some of which I'll find interesting even if I'm unlikely to ever but the products
2 of letters
3 Q&As
5 Club business including the raffle
9 campaigning

Looks pretty diverse to me, which probably reflects the membership, it's not going to please everyone but I think it's a credit to the editor.
I've also read through copies of 60's magazines, interesting from a historical point of view but I can't say I found them entertaining.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

blackbike wrote:The magazine is a bit like junk mail from any other charity now.

Totally agree. The £100 super positive review of lights will be next, swiftly followed by a gushing review of £200 bib tights.
I am still a member but have joined AUDAX UK and after 3 rides with them feel I have joined the CTC we used to know .... shame about the "cheese eating surrender monkey" stuff ... :lol: :lol:
And the magazine .... "professionally amateur" which takes a professional to produce.
2 more rides entered this month.
AUK rides feel so much like the Reliability Rides of the 80's and 90's I remember.
Love it..... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
gaz

Post by gaz »

PH wrote:Looks pretty diverse to me, which probably reflects the membership, it's not going to please everyone but I think it's a credit to the editor.

+1. Some editions interest me more than others but there's always something, it was ever thus.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
boblo

Post by boblo »

It just served to ram home that I now 'support' a charity and am not member of a club. I'm not interested in 90% of the guff in the mag and the voting stuff, which was non compliant with the motion passed at the last AGM, just served to reinforce this.

Direct to bin 13 next time.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

gaz wrote:
PH wrote:Looks pretty diverse to me, which probably reflects the membership, it's not going to please everyone but I think it's a credit to the editor.

+1. Some editions interest me more than others but there's always something, it was ever thus.

Yes, I generally like the magazine. Thought the article on the western front was good and the review of the fat bikes was interesting. I'm not interested in the campaigning stuff so i skip that.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I think someone's getting the wrong magazine.

You are probably right. I'd like to read a touring magazine and reviews of realistically, for me, prices.
Yes I'll give you the Western Front. But. The main 4 page touring feature is an offroad MTB tour in Wales. An article about what looks like pretty useless cycle paths and how great they are. Nice to be pushed off the roads. An offroad African adventure. Third of a page in the back about Birthday rides and a 1/4 page slot about a 40mile ride in Bolivia. £1500 bike reviews etc.
So yes it's not for me but obviously fine for you. The 60s ones, IMO were good but I was touring then as a callow youth and can relate. Suprised you did not enjoy the old sketches though.
Last edited by bigjim on 2 Oct 2016, 10:18am, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

bigjim wrote:Suprised you did not enjoy the old sketches though.

I loved the old sketches, I also like some of the photography in the current magazines, whatever you think of the content, modern printing offers a lot more.
What I wasn't so keen on was the ride reports, most seemed full of information very relevant to anyone going but superfluous to a general reader. I understand why of course, the information wasn't as available elsewhere. Now a touring article can leave that for anyone interested to find for themselves and concentrate on the experience.
Maybe I'm the jaded one, I'm a little bored reading about stuff I relate to, I can just go and do that. I'd rather read about stuff outside my experience.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'm a little bored reading about stuff I relate to, I can just go and do that. I'd rather read about stuff outside my experience.

Ahh, but that is the point for me. I can't go back to that 60s world as it is not there anymore. I can't redo it. Wheeling you bike onto a ferry or flight without being searched or having to pack it. Youth Hostels 12 miles apart etc. Pushing your bike up the steep hills because you just did. I like to look back at that and think "yes I did that, or I remember them". They were happy times in my brief childhood. Silly old man maybe, but thats just me.
Si

Post by Si »

Curious that some think that the reviews are less than honest when the first of the brakes reviewed basically says they are rubbish as they don't stop you properly. And also the fat bike review points out how much hard work they are on normal trails...something that should be guaranteed to put off most buyers who don't want them for sand/snow/posing! If we are going to have people throwing about allegations of dishonesty in reviews please can we have some proof to back it up - have any of you tried these particular items, if so what is wrong with them?

But yes, I would agree that the price band for a lot of the reviewed kit seems to be moving up. But I can see a very good reason for this - last time I went on the CTC club run it was all expensive carbon fibre and Ti.....if this is representative of CUK then you can't blame them for reviewing what might appeal to a large number of the members. After all, cycling is the new gold ;-) Personally I'd like to see a few articles on building skip-bikes, but I don't think that this would appeal to the majority.

As to the amount of touring in there - seemed to be loads in my copy.....I must have been sent the same one as PH.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

As to the amount of touring in there - seemed to be loads in my copy.....I must have been sent the same one as PH.

Well I've pointed out in my earlier post how much touring there was in the mag. So lets delete the MTB touring, the number of articles in this used to be cycle touring mag, is, I count one. So in that case, maybe you or PH can lend me your copy full of touring articles. Obviously different to mine. I'll pay postage.
As a touring mag it's pathetic. There is lots of material out there. Just look at the size of Crazyguyonabike. Even the main article is a thinly disguised advertisement for a BBC Wales programme. The authors quote is interesting "The new branding is so important to our club and to adventure cycling in general". So not touring specific.
I can't understand why some members are so keen to support the mag disowning it's roots and turning to be just another flash marketing medium.
I'm looking forward to recieving this other CTC touring mag.
Si

Post by Si »

So lets delete the MTB touring

No let's not. Just because someone uses a different bike to you I don't think it a good reason to delete them....it just perpetuates the myth(?) that the CTC is elitist.